CBeebies

(66 Posts)
NigellasLoveBuns Wed 09-Jul-14 10:34:27

To be annoyed at the northern accent that the woman uses on Show me Show me. I just find it so irritating! The rest of CBeebies is ok just this that irks me.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Wed 09-Jul-14 10:37:58

Do you think she might "use" it because it is actually her accent? I'd be pretty pissed off with your attitude if I was also northern OP.

I never even noticed she had a northern accent, but them I'm from the North and therefore have no problem with anyone having a northern accent. IMO YABU. Lots of regional accents in this country and none is better than the others.

Sirzy Wed 09-Jul-14 10:38:57

Shocking. How dare they have an accent which isn't from the south of the country! hmm

NigellasLoveBuns Wed 09-Jul-14 10:40:57

It is not her accent and I am northern. I am annoyed by it because it sounds like she is taking the mick out of northerners when she uses it.

SistersOfPercy Wed 09-Jul-14 10:41:11

Gosh darnit whatever next!
Quickly to the quill my dear and pen a tome to 'Points of View'!

NigellasLoveBuns Wed 09-Jul-14 10:45:06

Totally misunderstood my point. It is a rubbish fake northern accent which she uses for different characters ie a farmer.

NigellasLoveBuns Wed 09-Jul-14 10:46:13

I love northern accent and have one myself. Just hate fake ones

planesick Wed 09-Jul-14 10:47:57

your point was unclear... and as you are being told yabu, your point is evolving. be clear and then misunderstandings do not arise as often.

chocolatemademefat Wed 09-Jul-14 10:49:08

Why are you watching cbeebies at your age? Or why are you on mumsnet if you're in the cbeebies catchment age?

NigellasLoveBuns Wed 09-Jul-14 10:50:41

Well that's me told then!

Sirzy Wed 09-Jul-14 10:54:39

I doubt policemen really say "'Ello 'ello what's this then?" But it children's tv shows they often use such 'stereotypes' to help with creating a character. Not worth getting upset about

NigellasLoveBuns Wed 09-Jul-14 10:55:14

Didn't realise the two were mutually exclusive. wink oh well, back to CBeebies with my DD

Theodorous Wed 09-Jul-14 11:04:19

Interesting to note that northern accents are used but they never have announcers or presenters from the midlands!

ScouseBird8364 Wed 09-Jul-14 12:55:43

Eeee, proper snob OP! get a grip! angry

StickyEmInTheRibs Wed 09-Jul-14 12:57:34

LOL @SISTERPERCY

redexpat Wed 09-Jul-14 13:02:30

Theodorous or west country! Justin Lee Collins, Stephan Merchant ... nope can't think of any more (although havent lived in the UK for 7 years so if there's some new west country talent I apologise).

NigellasLoveBuns Wed 09-Jul-14 13:05:09

Yes I think I might contact Points of View. I will request that they have someone with a terrible fake regional accent read it out though smile

maras2 Wed 09-Jul-14 13:08:25

I bloody hate 'Show me show me'.Bloody Pui dressed as Little Bo Peep makes me want to chuck things at the telly.I ought to not watch it as I'm 61 but DGD insists on watching it,when I'm watching her,just to wind granny up.

NigellasLoveBuns Wed 09-Jul-14 13:15:47

My DS and DD really like it. I detest it for many reasons too and not just the put on accent thing. Now if I could just find my quill.....

fluffyanimal Wed 09-Jul-14 13:23:12

I presume you've not watched Gigglebiz then, where Farmer Dung speaks in an unintelligible West Country accent, and where Keith Fit talks about sports (including my favourite "poaule vooaultin'") in an outrageous Geordie accent.

CombineBananaFister Wed 09-Jul-14 13:23:34

Sort of see where you're coming from. It can be a bit annoying when they use a certain accent to portray a certain stereotype in a not nice way, especially if it's your own.

For example, a Nothern accent is often used to portray someone a bit thick, a shrill southern accent for someone busybody and annoying, west country for farmers?!? (never the other way around I notice hmm )

Think it's overthinking it tbh though OP, it's just a kids program grin
Am lucky, Ds doesn't like it because of the MOMO robot song which is a bit freaky and feels like you've taken LSD (or what I imagine it would be like)
Their make-up artist needs to put the trowel down though, Chris' head and neck are two totally different colours.

Szeli Wed 09-Jul-14 13:37:29

I'm with you OP it makes my teeth itch. The piss poor acting in general does too. Let's play isn't much better

idontlikealdi Wed 09-Jul-14 13:42:33

Katie I can cook is far more irritating.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Wed 09-Jul-14 13:48:59

Do you mean Pui? She's from Nottingham so may well have a bit of an 'Ey up duck' accent.

If she's anything like my DH's Gran...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now