Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

To ask how much you put in class collection for teacher?

(112 Posts)
goats Wed 09-Jul-14 10:05:16

Usually buy our own presents but this year a pta letter has arrived.

Pretty skint as single parent, low working income and need to also buy for DDS long term TA and the supply teacher who has been in class half of the year. We also have just paid for a trip and DDS new school have sent two letters asking for money in september which has to be paid in July.

Wibu to pay £5 in on the basis that 30 kids paying a fiver will be a £150 voucher which is pretty decent and many will pay more?

NickiFury Wed 09-Jul-14 10:08:11

I think that's fine. We have a teacher and a TA so the vouchers will be split to £75 each, which I think is pretty good tbh though I wish the TA wasn't getting anything as she's too reactive and shouty

Numanoid Wed 09-Jul-14 10:08:47

Before I got to the end of your post and saw £5, I was thinking 50p-£1! Unless they've stipulated an amount (and they really have no right to), put in what you can afford, be it 50p, a fiver, or whatever.

TheFirmament Wed 09-Jul-14 10:09:28

I put in £5 and I am not a single parent on low income. I think it's fine.

FatalCabbage Wed 09-Jul-14 10:09:37

YWNB at all U.

Our last collection had a declared maximum donation of £5. Still a colossal sum in total.

iggy155 Wed 09-Jul-14 10:11:16

I was approached this week for £20!! 2 teachers and 2 TA's. I can't afford that much so have given £5. When I was at school, I normally gave my teacher a card. I do not remember all the pressure for expensive gifts back then sad

echt Wed 09-Jul-14 10:11:21

What numanoid said.

WildFlowersAttractBees Wed 09-Jul-14 10:11:47

I would just donate and assume it is being split between everyone who teaches the class so no other gifts.
£5 is more than enough.

Youoryou Wed 09-Jul-14 10:17:01

I would put nothing in but get my own gift for the teacher

goats Wed 09-Jul-14 10:18:15

Its not being split, much to my annoyance as supply has been in there months and been bloody brilliant.

Its the type of middle class dominated school where some will donate big amounts. It has to go in with child's name on.

Happydaysatlastforthebody Wed 09-Jul-14 10:22:41

How rude of the PTA to ask for this.

The only time this is acceptable is for someone like a hugely longstanding member of staff retiring/dinner supervisor/lollipop person.

Staff come and go all the time.

I buy a present if I have really appreciated them as above and beyond their Job with my kids.

Otherwise no.

Happydaysatlastforthebody Wed 09-Jul-14 10:30:17

Donations with your child's name on is extremely bad form too. Ignore it and get a small gift for the supply teacher.

FatalCabbage Wed 09-Jul-14 10:30:29

Our LA has strict rules on gifts to its employees. Labelled donations are hugely problematic, as are large gifts. From the grapevine the limit on gifts is only £10-15 before they have to be declared/declined. So a bottle of wine is probably ok but champagne probably not.

usualsuspectt Wed 09-Jul-14 10:32:27

I would put nothing in and buy a card or small gift myself.

TheCurseOfFenric Wed 09-Jul-14 10:33:08

£5 is absolutely more than enough. We don't put in more than that at our well-off independent school! We tend to do it all by subs for the year (£20 for the whole year, which covers 3x end if term presents for 3 teachers and 3 TAs, plus any extras like new baby flowers or illness/bereavement flowers/presents etc), but if an extra collection is required for any reason (eg one teacher is getting
Married this summer, and there is a voluntary extra collection) the standard amount is £5.

Please don't worry about the amount though - put in what you can comfortably afford. Anyone who looks down on you or makes a comment about it is clearly Not Nice, and the one with the problem.

FWIW, although I do pay subs, I tend not to put in any extra for extra collections - dd makes a card/other craft if she wants to contribute something, as I hate te fact that everything is moving more and more to commercial, show off large presents. It's the thought that counts (or should be).

atticusclaw Wed 09-Jul-14 10:33:44

I either put in a fiver or buy a gift worth £5-£6. Honestly its fine (and mine go to an independent school with lots of wealthy parents). In fact last year I spent less than a fiver on one of the teaching assistants and she came up to me the following year and said how lovely and thoughtful the gift was and that she was really touched.

goats Wed 09-Jul-14 10:35:43

its being handed over at the end of the leavers assembly with I presume a card with the kids names.

dd would be very upset if her name was not included (don't know if that's the case but wouldn't surprise me)

Missunreasonable Wed 09-Jul-14 10:36:03

Ours is a suggested donation of £10 but people who have more than one child in the school usually put less into each collection. Some people dont out anything in the collections as they prefer to get their own gift or don't like the teacher and therefore give nothing. Nobody really cares whether anybody gives less than the suggested £10 or whether people give nothing. I like the collection idea as my child has fab teachers and the collection saves me from buying something that is of no use.

Happydaysatlastforthebody Wed 09-Jul-14 10:39:03

Can your dd not make/buy her own gift.

As a TA I treasure the things the kids make/colour. Far better than an expensive gift from the parents.

God did I just write that! grin

muffliato Wed 09-Jul-14 10:42:54

I'm really glad there's nothing like this at our school. Dd (5) is painting some wooden shapes I got off eBay and writing a little thank you herself.
Cost about £3.

glasgowstevenagain Wed 09-Jul-14 10:47:47

Is this a new thing?

I appreciate they do a great job,

but no one tips a nurse or a vet assistant or care home staff on a yearly basis!

goats Wed 09-Jul-14 10:52:42

I used to be a HLTA too happy. I loved the stuff kids made. I would have been mortified by a hundreds of pounds gift card especially as I knew there were families who would have contributed in my class but could not really afford to.

ThereIsIron Wed 09-Jul-14 10:52:50

Put nothing in and re-educate the school. Our primary school actively discourages the buying of/collection for presents for teachers (retirement excepted). Parents can donate to charity via a box in the foyer if they so desire.

goats Wed 09-Jul-14 10:53:57

Glasgow I've never heard of it before until I joined Mumsnet. it seems a common thing on here. Ours has never done it before.

WanderingAway Wed 09-Jul-14 11:00:03

Zero. Thats what i give to teachers.

I dont give gifts or put into class collections. The teachers do a good job but they are meant to as that is their job and if they arent performing correctly then they should be sacked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now