Shopping 24 hours after a tummy bug

(25 Posts)
worryandfret Wed 09-Jul-14 09:24:41

Genuine question, honestly, I do have a tendency to be over-scrupulous about stuff, so my judgement is a little skewed on this one.

Yesterday I had a bit of a nasty bout of diarrhoea. I wasn't sick at all. I feel a bit wiped out since, but no other symptoms.

I'm running out of some basic essentials, and I could really do with going to the supermarket today. It's just me with DD. Might be able to call in a favour off someone, but not sure.

Would it be unreasonable of me to go to the supermarket if I wait 24 hours after my last bout of diarrhoea, or should I really be waiting 48 hours. What do other people in the same position do?

Don't want to be irresponsible, but could really do with getting this stuff in.

Thanks.

ViviPru Wed 09-Jul-14 09:38:34

Click and collect - I can get slots at my local Tesco as early as lunchtime today.

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Wed 09-Jul-14 09:39:17

I would just go.

<awaits flaming>

Was it one bout of the runs or a prolonged problem? Might have been something you ate if the former. I would go too <joins a pp to wait flaming also>.

I have ibs and bad tummies are a part of my life at the mo...

awsomer Wed 09-Jul-14 09:52:24

Is it that you're worried about spreading germs? As long as you don't breathe/spit/etc over people the only germs will come from things you touch. So if you really want to go and are really paranoid about it take some hand sanitiser and use it before you touch the trolly and card machine. Do self check out if you're really worried about the poor check out people.
But to be honest, the trolly and card machine is probably a hive of germs anyway if you think about it too much.... which we shouldn't too much because we'll all go mad.

Everard Wed 09-Jul-14 09:54:08

If I felt well enough, I would just go too.

TBH the 48 hr quarantine has never really occurred to me outside school and (possibly) the workplace.

And yes, I do realise that the supermarket is a workplace for many but it is also a public place and people harbouring all sorts of germs and viruses must be using them every day.

worryandfret Wed 09-Jul-14 09:55:01

I had something the day before that might have been the beginning of diarrhoea - was approaching it, but not quite it iyswim, but I thought it was just something I'd eaten.

Yesterday it was definitely diarrhoea. Just one bout, but quite a nasty bout.

I guess it still could have been something I'd eaten - I've been eating mostly rubbish these last few days for one reason or another...

worryandfret Wed 09-Jul-14 10:40:05

Oh dear - just had another bout... Looks like I'd better not...

UncleT Wed 09-Jul-14 11:07:32

Supermarket?? So long as you're not intending to fail to wash your hands properly before then handling every item of fresh produce and replacing it for others to take, it's a complete non-issue.

ICanSeeTheSun Wed 09-Jul-14 11:11:32

Diaherra is airborne.

I think it's selfish, people who are autoimmune will catch it and will have it 10x worse.

Stay home until you are clear

whois Wed 09-Jul-14 11:15:35

Seriously? People actually consider staying away from the world for 48 hours after their last sloppy poo?

Wash your hands well and try not to cough on anyone and you'll be fine.

Most people just take Imodium and get on with daily interaction. Only on MN do people quarantine themselves.

naty1 Wed 09-Jul-14 13:04:43

Get it delivered if you can, you dont want to be caught short.
I have similar to ibs... And on metformin which causes issues so no point avoiding doing stuff.
Im sure its not airborne its contact

BeanyIsPregnant Wed 09-Jul-14 13:11:01

I've never even thought of isolating myself for any period of time after diarrhoea... I'd just go!
The only reason I wouldn't would be if there was a concern I would need to go whilst in the shop

<joins the queue to be flamed>

Janethegirl Wed 09-Jul-14 13:15:59

I'm bad too. I'd take imodium and just go to the supermarket.

LongTimeLurking Wed 09-Jul-14 13:16:46

If it was severe and active I would avoid going out for fear of an 'accident'. However I would not be putting myself into quarantine if I had no symptoms 24 hrs later.

God yes I'd go. Have you seen some of the people in supermarkets?!

Fwiw, when DH was on chemo so immunocompromised, he was the one who used click and collect, I'd not expect you to!

Everard Wed 09-Jul-14 13:23:26

Diarrhoea is airborne

I don't think it is. You have to touch particles of the diarrhoea that get on to objects via skin contact usually. If OP wore gloves, assuming they are clean, she wouldn't pass it on to anyone in the supermarket.

Tangerinefairy Wed 09-Jul-14 13:25:42

Unless I was feeling really grim I would take Imodium and get on with it. I thought everyone did that.

Germgirl Wed 09-Jul-14 13:30:28

Diarrhoea isn't airborne.
Infective diarrhoea is passed on by the faecal oral route, ie you infect bacteria or viruses that have been left on surfaces etc by infected people.
Norovirus could be called airborne in that the virus particles can travel a long way (around 8 feet) in the air, but that's virus that is present in vomit & people are still not infected by breathing in the virus, rather by touching surfaces that the virus has settled on.
So, long story short, unless you're uncontrollably vomiting everywhere, you'll be safe to go out. Wash your hands & use a gel if you're worried, but honestly, take an Imodium & get down to Tescos.

TheLovelyBoots Wed 09-Jul-14 13:53:48

I wouldn't even consider not going out under these circumstances. I think the reason you'd be more strict about children is that their immunity is not quite as robust, and also they have questionable hygiene.

Diarrhoea is airborne I am trying to think of a punchline to this that isn't offensive. Can anyone help? My best, although offensive, is, "only in France". In my defense I once spent an instructive half hour in a train station in Paris wondering how feces got on the ceiling.

TheLovelyBoots Wed 09-Jul-14 15:11:39

I think the problem is that you're trying to make it inoffensive.

gwhappylife Wed 09-Jul-14 15:12:13

j

Chocolateisa7adayfood Wed 09-Jul-14 16:02:00

Go if you feel OK! I'm normally climbing the walls after a day at home!

Chocolateisa7adayfood Wed 09-Jul-14 16:04:21

No I think diarrhoea is spread via the faecal-oral route. Meaning germs spread from bum to hand to mouth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now