AIBU to think that he should not be working with people who have disabilities?

(63 Posts)
MilkandCereal Tue 08-Jul-14 14:07:10

I don't think I am being unreasonable,but I need to vent/rant anyway.

I volunteer,and I met another volunteer this morning at a meeting, who works with people who have PMLD(Profound and multiple learning disabilities). He's volunteering for the charity to gain some work experience in organising events.

We were discussing events that the charity runs,at break,and he said that he doesn't see the point in taking 'them' that is people with learning disabilities,on outings,as it's just a waste of time and money,and that they get nothing out of it. He said the same of the clients he looks after at a carehomes, that he hates taking them out,says its like a circus parade,and feels that they're better off in their roomsc He went on a little on this theme. The other 2 volunteers who were present went out for a smoke break.

I was so taken aback that all I could say was everyone needs and deserves fresh air,new experiences,and interactions,and that he'd feel differently in their situation,or if it was a close family member.

I really don't feel someone with that attitude should be working with people with disabilities,or volunteering with them. Can I express my concerns to the volunteer coordinator re him volunteering,or should I say nothing?

unrealhousewife Tue 22-Jul-14 20:17:03

Thank you for sticking your neck out for disabled people. This has not just prevented a prejudiced man from working with disabled people, lots of people will hear about what has happened and it will make them check their own attitudes and views. I'm so glad the organisation acted on this and didn't just 'have a word' and forget about it.

FlossieTreadlight Tue 22-Jul-14 20:13:56

Thank you for reporting - it was brave. My sister has learning disabilities and I hate the idea of turds like that being anywhere near her. Hope you enjoy the rest of your volunteering.

MyFairyKing Tue 22-Jul-14 20:12:21

It may not seem like much but it was. You did the right thing.

Hedgehog80 Tue 22-Jul-14 20:08:06

Well done op. He sounds like an a hole, how on earth could he know what people do/don't get out of visits out.

MiscellaneousAssortment Tue 22-Jul-14 20:02:07

I'm so glad. well done. I know you said you didn't do much, but you did enough.

thereturnofshoesy Tue 22-Jul-14 12:19:18

good, well done op for telling them

MilkandCereal Tue 22-Jul-14 12:02:13

I didn't really do much. I just reported my concerns. The volunteer coordinator did the rest,but I'm glad that he's gone.

dawndonnaagain Tue 22-Jul-14 10:55:14

Well done Milk and Thank you!

cardibach Tue 22-Jul-14 10:35:28

DD volunteers with a disability sports group and had to do a course about acceptable language etc (quite rightly) before starting. She is 18 and has been volunteering for just over a year - the course didn't teach her anything she didn't already know as she is an aware and sensitive young woman who takes people as she finds them without making random judgements based upon their appearance/sexuality etc. <proud>
This man is a twat, I'm glad you reported him and I hope he never has the opportunity to work with vulnerable people - he might be taught to say the right things but those attitudes will not easily be educated away.

DownByTheRiverside Tue 22-Jul-14 10:26:33

Fantastic that you bothered doing something about it, and that action has been taken. I hope it's on his record somewhere, so that he's never inflicted on anyone vulnerable again.

MilkandCereal Tue 22-Jul-14 10:14:08

I thought I'd let you all know that the volunteer will not be back as he has apparently found a more appropriate placement.

Mrsjayy Wed 09-Jul-14 10:41:08

That is disgusting shows what disregard even the jobcentre has for vulnerable people dont get me wrong volunteering does help with getting a job a uni application etc but you have to bloody care for the people you are working with or go and work in a charity shop

Happydaysatlastforthebody Wed 09-Jul-14 10:35:30

Mrsjayy totally agree with that.

My oldest ds was told he had to volunteer to recieve benefit, he's waiting to join the forces, a job centre staff member told him volunteering with the disabled and mental people would look good in his CV.

He was appalled. It seemed to be equated with shelf stacking in ASDA.

Firsttimer7259 Wed 09-Jul-14 10:21:21

If the volunteer co ordinator does resolve this please go further up the chain , just please stop him

Mrsjayy Wed 09-Jul-14 10:20:14

Thats the negative side of volunteer work I think folk see it as a way to get on have a nice cv or whatever and dont give a fig about the organisation or people in it

ScouseBird8364 Wed 09-Jul-14 10:19:17

Ooh, I'd complain to one of the superior's, he should NOT be working in this environment and obvs has no passion to be there anyway shock

Happydaysatlastforthebody Wed 09-Jul-14 10:18:40

Oh see you have good for you op.

Firsttimer7259 Wed 09-Jul-14 10:18:09

My dd is disabled and I beg you to let a supervisor know about this. People like her are so vulnerable and open to abuse and bad treatment from people who think her life and comfort isn't worth care attention and respect. I can feel my heart racing at the thought of her being looked after like this

Happydaysatlastforthebody Wed 09-Jul-14 10:17:03

What a cunt. Report him. Once carers cease to empathise with their venerable clients they easily cross the line to rough speech/actions/abuse.

Horrible man.

hazeyjane Wed 09-Jul-14 10:10:31

Well done for reporting.

Mrsjayy Wed 09-Jul-14 10:09:23

Good for you, I didnt read on

Mrsjayy Wed 09-Jul-14 10:06:47

He sounds a dick report him he is looking for something that looks caring and worthy for his cv those are just the worst yanbu, I reported a woman for being patronising and down right nasty about the people we work with I had a wobble about reporting it had a thread and was reassured but this lovely lot I did the right thing, tell somebody

Puzzledandpissedoff Wed 09-Jul-14 08:36:10

How can he appropriately support them,or advocate for their welfare if he thinks of them as less than human?

How indeed? And VERY well done for mentioning it to your supervisor

macdoodle Wed 09-Jul-14 07:06:10

How horrible, he doesn't see the people he is supposed to be helping as "people" does he? How on eartt cab he interact meaningfully with them never mind safely. Well done for reporting.

SquigglySquid Wed 09-Jul-14 03:16:32

Yes. Report it.

There are other organizations he can volunteer at to organize events that don't involve working with vulnerable people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now