To hope dealers will stop selling Rolf Harris's artwork?

(106 Posts)
windchime Sun 06-Jul-14 17:31:53

Ebay is awash with listings for Rolf Harris's artwork, and there is no shortage of people wanting to bid for it. None of it is going cheap, and it is like nothing happened. Ebay's stance is 'because he isn't a violent felon, the listings are within their policies. AIBU to think everything to do with his work should be buried and forgotten?

LastTango Sun 06-Jul-14 17:33:41

I just wish everyone would SHUT UP about the whole thing and not keep going on about it. It's over, he's been sentenced, now give it a rest FFS.

How far do you go with that thought though?

There are art works in churches and galleries the length and breadth of the land carried out abusers and murderers but because they're all 'old' they're not taken down.

Many famous artists are dodgy as fuck.

Hakluyt Sun 06-Jul-14 17:34:13

Yep, you are. If we destroyed everything made by horrible people there wouldn't be much left.

Pagwatch Sun 06-Jul-14 17:35:35

I don't care about his art. Does it really matter in the scheme of things?
<shrug>

windchime Sun 06-Jul-14 17:37:21

I cannot think of another paedophile artist tbh.

Does his art change because he's been convicted? It's still the same art, painted by the same person, it's intrinsic artistic value hasn't changed, surely!

Ifyourawizardwhydouwearglasses Sun 06-Jul-14 17:37:45

Well if this stance gets adopted the Catholic Church will be up shit creek....

Agree with LastTango let's just all move on.

Sorry, that was meant to be a ? Not ! At the end.

alltoomuchrightnow Sun 06-Jul-14 17:38:11

my DP had a large RH original in his recording studio ( painting owned by his business partner). Said partner is furious that its value is now lowered, and removed it last week. It was a pretty dull painting though

ICanSeeTheSun Sun 06-Jul-14 17:39:00

So the private sellers should loose out finically because of what the artist did.

lougle Sun 06-Jul-14 17:39:17

His art work has nothing to do with his criminal activity. Someone can be an outstanding artist whilst also doing vile things.

It seems that his biggest crime is being famous. I doubt anyone who was a nobody with a sexual offences conviction would have their artwork withdrawn.

Hakluyt Sun 06-Jul-14 17:39:57

Windchime- Eric Gill, for one.

dawndonnaagain Sun 06-Jul-14 17:40:05

I suggest you check out Eric Gill who's work adorns many buildings throughout London.

windchime Sun 06-Jul-14 17:40:24

Well if this stance gets adopted the Catholic Church will be up shit creek

Why? Did Rolf Harris design all their stained glass windows confused

Caravaggio

Famous artist, also a paedophile

londonrach Sun 06-Jul-14 17:41:53

Wasn't hitler as artist?

alltoomuchrightnow Sun 06-Jul-14 17:42:02

My favourite painting is by a murderer
Richard Dadd's The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke

Ifyourawizardwhydouwearglasses Sun 06-Jul-14 17:46:39

Why? Did Rolf Harris design all their stained glass windows

Not to my knowledge, but if we're talking about removing artworks/architecture/historical memorabilia by pedophiles or sex offenders.......well I did hear rumours of a few hanging round the Vatican over the ages.

FatewiththeLeadPiping Sun 06-Jul-14 17:47:01

Eric Gill yes, have a look at his BBC statue, read his background, then come back.

FatewiththeLeadPiping Sun 06-Jul-14 17:48:14

Eric Gill yes, have a look at his BBC statue, read his background, then come back.

Interesting article:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6979731.stm

LucyStafford Sun 06-Jul-14 17:49:08

Who'd admit to buying it?

Roman Polanski is a convicted paedophile whose art is still widely available and who continues to work and receive awards for his work.

Nomama Sun 06-Jul-14 17:56:55

The Cray's, Ian Brady, Egon Schiele, Bronson, Gacy.

Of them only Schiele was an artist first and foremost. Given that most heinous of criminals have an audience for their work it is unlikely that Harris's work will stay unwanted for long. Sadly, if he writes a memoir admitting it all they may eventually be worth more!

Pagwatch Sun 06-Jul-14 18:00:14

I have a signed Gary Glitter album. I neither feel the need to burn it or sell it.
It sits in my house, a testament to a different era.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now