Miffed about comment from friends ds5 about dd 7 (ASD related)

(58 Posts)
Aeroflotgirl Sun 06-Jul-14 15:25:29

Today I was looking after my friends dd and ds, the slept the night as the mum was in hospital. The ds woke up and immediately said: my mummy told me dd not normal. I was stumped I didn't know what to say, I told him she is a child like you who needs a little more help.

I felt hurt, is that the way she sees dd? Is that how they talk about dd at home?

thornrose Sun 20-Jul-14 10:50:20

Pag I honestly believe that comment was deliberately offensive. It wasn't a misunderstanding.

I almost posted that it was the worst thing anyone had said to me on MN but I thought I'd be accused of being PO or dramatic or something!

Pagwatch Sun 20-Jul-14 11:02:34

I know Thorn.
I was being disingenuous. smile

It was really, really nasty.

PolterGoose Sun 20-Jul-14 11:12:29

thorn flowers

hazeyjane Sun 20-Jul-14 11:34:31

Christ the 'not normal' thing hits me like a punch to my stomach to be honest, and I know my dd's would be open mouthed if someone described their brother (who they definitely think is awesome, if a little annoying) as 'not normal'

thornrose Sun 20-Jul-14 11:57:07

Oh of course Pag, sorry!

Pagwatch Sun 20-Jul-14 12:58:00

Lord don't apologise Thorn.
I shouldn't be a snarky cow. I should just stick with 'don't be fucking vile'

flowers

2old2beamum Sun 20-Jul-14 13:42:12

How can such an innocent post asking for advice get so twisted and nasty?
Having 5 with learning disability I suppose some of you think they are not normal to you maybe but to us parents they are a little different but still lovely.
Well said Pagwatch Hazeyjane etc thanks You are my type of people
Good luck Aeroflotgirl

FanjoForTheMammaries Sun 20-Jul-14 13:50:54

My DD is totally normal. She just cant speak very well and has difficulties with some things.

Normal she certainly is though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now