To think a 26 year old (Alexandra Swann) just hasn't been around long enough to appreciate half-baked goods, they can be very tasty not to mention convenient?

(39 Posts)

Alexandra Swann in Breitbart News today, whilst generally having some very nice things to say about us here on Mumsnet, describes the suggestion for job-sharing MP's from Wednsday's webchat as a half-baked idea.

At 26 I feel she doesn't have the life experience to fully assess the issues, or indeed to appreciate the benefits of a half-baked loaf of bread, which upon further baking can taste and smell sooo good, as well as being vair convenient.

AIBU?

Bellossom Thu 26-Jun-14 20:59:28

How do you mean? I'm 26 does my view not count?

Bellossom Thu 26-Jun-14 20:59:59

They'll be 60 year olds with less life experience than me and 18 year olds with maybe more?

newfavouritething Thu 26-Jun-14 21:03:20

YABVU
Half-baked cake is so much better than half-baked bread.

It's just she was all "I haven't got any DC" and "I'm not going to be TTC (for a very, very long time)" (give it a couple of years?)

I think it just annoyed me slightly that we don't hear a maturer woman's view in the media a bit more often that's all

I should link to the article for a wider discussion really, but perhaps you can check it out through google meanwhile if you're interested to see what she said about us.

WhileWeSleep Thu 26-Jun-14 21:05:53

So you're saying that you think anyone under 26 does not have life experience to have a meaningful opinion?

Even though at 18 they can drink, smoke, get married and fight for their country but their opinion carries no weight?

YABVU!

Ooh, half-baked cake newfavouritething I'll have to look out for that - it could even become my new favourite thing?!

When I think about my feeling towards her and the article a bit more I think it's probably that I don't feel she conveyed a real respect to those of us who are mothers.

We still have some valid POV's and ideas as well

DontPutMeDownForCardio Thu 26-Jun-14 21:15:26

Wow how patronising are you?

Rabbitcar Thu 26-Jun-14 21:19:39

At 26, I was married with one DD, a mortgage, and working in the City as a lawyer, having worked abroad for a while. I think I would have had has the right to express my views???And even if I hadn't done any of those things, my life would still have been worth something I think?

That seems an odd comment Cardio - perhaps you're reading me wrong. I'm simply trying to combine a bit of light-heartedness with an opportunity to share how people feel about what someone wrote about us in an article.

bubalou Thu 26-Jun-14 21:21:04

I know what you mean but I disagree.

I'm 28 and 95% of the mums in my sons year at school are older then me and even though I'm almost 30 I am often referred to as 'just a baby' 'still so young' etc etc.

Never in a spiteful or mean way but of course as they are all older I sometimes feel dismissed - there's always going to be people older than me but it doesn't make their experiences, views and opinions any better than mine.

I think I forgot how bitey AIBU can be

also how touchy and defensive people can be at 26 smile

EatShitDerek Thu 26-Jun-14 21:23:20

I'm 23. I have more life experience then most.

Still have no idea wtf this job share shite is grin

MyFairyKing Thu 26-Jun-14 21:23:50

Gosh, aren't you patronising?

Thanks for your friendly post bubalou - I think some people are taking the thread a bit more seriously than I intended it.
Perhaps I should have approached from a different angle, as actually I think Alexandra Swann could have benefited from too in the article.
I think it's mainly her opening stance that's riled me a bit

doziedoozie Thu 26-Jun-14 21:41:24

Job sharing anything sounds a great idea to me, if you are saying that she is saying that it is a daft idea then she is wrong imo probably because she is young and needs to see a bit more of life as a mum grin but you might not be saying that, the baking confused me (old gimmer)

NoodleOodle Thu 26-Jun-14 21:41:28

EatShit- do you really think that at 23 you have more life experience than most? I can understand you not wanting to have your opinions dismissed because of your age but, at 23 how can you have had more experience than most? You can't have experienced living with something for 24years, and how time and age affect things generally, living through different times with their different social and political norms etc.

EatShitDerek Thu 26-Jun-14 21:55:20

The amount of shite I have lived through gives me life experience.

If you read my comment you will see I wrote "but I have no idea about what this job share shite is about" followed by a grin face.

Which shows I dont have a clue about shit like that and my comment was lighthearted.

Next time I will post warning lighthearted post below

NoodleOodle Thu 26-Jun-14 22:06:01

I didn't intend to be unpleasant, just wondering if you genuinely believed it. I apologise if I misread light-heartedness.

EatShitDerek Thu 26-Jun-14 22:10:28

I do feel I have more life experience than some due to the shut I have dealt with.

But when politics, nah. Couldn't q a shit about them or half baked goods. Either go the whole way or not at all

CheeryName Thu 26-Jun-14 22:14:14

I didn't appreciate the handiness of half baked crusty rolls until I had children and reached my late 20s. Tonight I am stranded at home with sleeping DC and no car, my sliced loaf is down to a stale crust and DS has a school trip tomorrow. I can sleep easy knowing in the morning I will shove a part baked roll in the oven, the house will fill with that lovely aroma, and DS will have a delicious packed lunch.

Take that young whipper snapper.

I'm 24 and like half-baked goods as much as the next whipper-snapper.

Ooh, I'm liking the late night posters much better.

dozie and "Cheery* in particular can have a (possibly patronising) gold star from OP for not being completely confounded or befuddled by references to half-baked bread, and having their own unique take on things

happygirl87 Fri 27-Jun-14 11:43:07

I am 27, and would like to mention Ben and Jerry's Half Baked Ice Cream - surely that must win?!

Yes Ben and Jerry's Half Baked Ice Cream and you happygirl win the thread smile
See how much difference that extra year makes ?wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now