To be a bit wary of this milk?

(74 Posts)
needaholidaynow Thu 26-Jun-14 19:22:20

Sorry this is extremely boring and weird, but I thought people on MN might know!

Just nipped to the corner shop and bought some milk. The milk is always fine from there. When I returned home I opened it and there were little yellow lumps in it just at the top of the bottle. It doesn't smell horrible or anything and the date is July 5th. There are no more lumps in the bottle I don't think. All I want to know is if its ok to use. I did I back to the shop and swapped it and the second bottle is the same. The shop keeper said he has had a bit if trouble with the milk today and I can bring it back again if needs be. What could the lumps be?

I want some Rice Krispies sad

Waltonswatcher Thu 26-Jun-14 19:24:30

Cream

needaholidaynow Thu 26-Jun-14 19:25:26

Ah so is it ok to use then?

Youdontneedacriminallawyer Thu 26-Jun-14 19:25:49

Yep. That'll be the cream. Milk is fine as long as it doesn't smel.

It's cream. Shake it lots in the bottle. Used to always be like that until they bought in homogenised milk.

needaholidaynow Thu 26-Jun-14 19:27:22

Just another question. Am I ok using it if I'm pregnant?

Nomama Thu 26-Jun-14 19:29:44

yes. All you have is milk like what we used to get. Not quite Gold Top, but you are seeing the cream that has not quite mixed into the milk.

There is nothing wrong with it, but it will look a bit odd, try some in a cup of tea, the little bits float

mommy2ash Thu 26-Jun-14 19:33:00

im funny about milk to be honest so i wouldn't use it. ive only ever seen the white bits floating in tea when the milk has been there longer than i would use it in my dads house and i leave it.

needaholidaynow Thu 26-Jun-14 19:33:09

Aah Thank you smile I thought it was cheese at first.

cardibach Thu 26-Jun-14 19:54:46

I've never got used to homogenised milk. I still always shake the bottle before pouring to mix the cream in, even though it is completely unnecessary now. <old>

Its not your fault OP but this thread makes me feel a little sad.

Sad that whole generations of people will never experience proper milk and will only ever know homogenised milk.

They will never have fights over the breakfast table over who gets/ doesn't get the creamy bit off the top on their cornflakes.

We have become so far removed from real food.

curiousuze Thu 26-Jun-14 20:01:47

I know, westmorland, this thread is so strange to me! I am old.

Nomama Thu 26-Jun-14 20:02:42

Well, to be absolutely honest, I go for the Pure stuff cos I can't really stand milk that has been hanging around. DH is the same. So if we open a carton today, whatever is left will get thrown in the morning.

But the Pure stuff doesn't have the look or the smell, and both of us are less freaked by it.

We were both most definitely not Gold Top lovers smile

But then again I did spend a while with unpasteurised, when dad was a milkman (as in he milked the cows).

LadyMacbethWasMisunderstood Thu 26-Jun-14 20:05:44

I used to love the 'top of the milk' when I was a child.

I remember the thick glug as the bottle (and I remember the tall thin necked bottles) was tilted and poured and the cream 'stopper' broke and glooped out into the bowl like a cork coming free.

PoppySeed2014 Thu 26-Jun-14 20:12:55

Duchy milk isn't homogenised and is delicious!

Letthemtalk Thu 26-Jun-14 20:13:14

The top of the milk on rice crispies was heavenly

needaholidaynow Thu 26-Jun-14 20:29:36

Gosh I had no idea people used to love the bits at the top! That's really interesting. I've always been so used to the milk I've always had, that seeing the bits at the top I thought it had gone off or something. Never even occurred to me that people love it. I had heard of gold top milk before but didn't actually know what it was. I assumed it was the colour of the cap blush grin

firesidechat Thu 26-Jun-14 20:31:20

That takes me back. Top of the milk on your cereals. Lovely.

PixieofCatan Thu 26-Jun-14 21:06:49

God, I miss the cream, if you get bottles of milk fro the milkman you can still get the cream on top. My boss used to get it so if there was no milk left I'd use it as an excuse to open a new one and have the cream on top. So good!

I'm 25 and remember it in my lifetime, what's changed?!

Billygoats Thu 26-Jun-14 21:10:09

I'm 20's and remember it too. But only from the milkman. I don't think I've seen/heard a milkman for years though.

Bunbaker Thu 26-Jun-14 21:10:55

"so if we open a carton today, whatever is left will get thrown in the morning."

Really!

You are being ridiculously wasteful.

I remember milk with a line of cream at the top. You don't see it these days.

HiawathaDidntBotherTooMuch Thu 26-Jun-14 21:13:58

I am delighted that milk doesn't have cream at the top anymore. I used to hate it - the smell, taste, everything.

ReeseWithoutHerSpoon Thu 26-Jun-14 21:14:35

Gold top was the colour of the top- on the glass milk bottles. Full fat was silver top (foil tops on the bottles) and I think semi skimmed was red?

didiimaginethis Thu 26-Jun-14 21:17:30

I remember the cream on top of the milk, our bottles used to get pecked at by the birds, I presume because they wanted the cream. I still shake the milk before opening it even now.
I miss that creamy milk

Joysmum Thu 26-Jun-14 21:21:30

Ah yes, there used to be a lot more starlings back then and the foil cap of the milk was usually pecked through!

I get the 1% milk now but occasionally treat myself to channel island milk on crunchy nut cornflakes. Wrong on so many levels grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now