...to hate Sainsburys checkout staff asking "and what have you been up to today?"

(169 Posts)
goodbyegirl Thu 26-Jun-14 18:46:27

...as if I was 10 years old and they were my auntie? I know it is part of their training to engage with customers but not all of us want to discuss our activities - feels a bit intrusive to me. I'd rather a harmless chat about the weather!

anothervisittothepark Thu 26-Jun-14 18:47:34

Totally agree. I try to answer politely but i cant really be bothered.

I agree. Why does whoever's in charge want customer service assistants (myself included) to annoy people and make twats of ourselves in the process?! angry

Bowlersarm Thu 26-Jun-14 18:48:22

YABU, you miseries.

Watercolourfootballs Thu 26-Jun-14 18:48:51

Just say nothing and smile vaguely. They generally get the message.

EatShitDerek Thu 26-Jun-14 18:49:02

See, I don't care about it. As long as they don't call me twat or something I cant get bothered by it.

Its just a chat

BettyBolognese Thu 26-Jun-14 18:50:28

I have to say I don't like it but they are just doing their jobs and so I happily tell them and we have a tiny bit of a chat. Usually if DS is with me they talk to him instead.

MrsFogi Thu 26-Jun-14 18:51:13

They are asked to do this? shock I always thought I'd landed the nosy/crazy/slightly strange [delete as appropriate depending on manner of delivery] checkout person.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Thu 26-Jun-14 18:52:01

It's an awkward one. The most difficult to answer is 'so, you out doing a bit of shopping then?'. I mean, what answer can you actually give that's not sarcastic? I'm looking at you, New Look.

CoffeeTea103 Thu 26-Jun-14 18:53:12

No it's just you being a misery guts.

I find it annoying & imagine they don't give two hoops what you have been up to!

Bowlersarm Thu 26-Jun-14 18:53:51

I wasn't asked that at sainsburys this morning. Did my checkout lady miss out on that training bit?

Happydaysatlast Thu 26-Jun-14 18:54:04

Shop at my local ASDA. I get orite love. Us brummies are genuinely friendly. grin

Back2Two Thu 26-Jun-14 18:54:18

YANBU

I don't like this in general. It's obviously what they've been told to say and thus is often insincere. It's not their fault, so I'm polite when asked.

But, it's not a good policy IMO. It comes across as patronising.

(They don't so this in sainsburys but I also can't bear being called "darling" by a 20year old. Wrong.)

standingonlego Thu 26-Jun-14 18:54:47

They have just started this "hairdresser chat' at our local Next as well. They asked me "where in the world would you go if you have the choice"...no context....was not even buying holiday type clothes confused

Ended up with me giving sales assistant a lecture on why she needed to get herself a passport

Oh for goodness sake. I'd far rather they were chatty and friendly than chewing gum and grunting. Can't win.

standingonlego Thu 26-Jun-14 18:55:51

Next has just been expanded - obviously part of the new emotional connection customer service script list

standingonlego Thu 26-Jun-14 18:56:33

I LOVE chatting, it was just so false

YANBU, sometimes you just dont want to chit chat. I'm hopeless at small talk.

However, as perspective. I work for a supermarket might be this one, might not, all customer facing staff habe to follow certain customer service principles. Some slightly different depending on your department. We are encouraged to adhere to this at all times. We have frequent mystery shoppers bother internally sourced and externally. These people report back and the stores will get marked down. This can then I m pact staff bonuses. Also if say like your example OP that person didnt follow the principles and ypu were a mystery shopper. The person at checkouts name wouldbe reported back to the store manager.

So whilst its a ballache for you, it can be really awkwardfor the shop staff to. smile

Ibizatime Thu 26-Jun-14 18:57:26

Oh bloody hell, if you don't wanna talk to anyone piss of to self service.

right on ibiza, right on.

Fideliney Thu 26-Jun-14 19:03:35

Insincere chit-chat because they have been told they have to is a bit sad

The most annoying one has got to be new look "Did you find everything you need today?" Well i wouldn't be here buying something if i hadn't!

I am very glad they didn't force you to make small talk when i worked in retail.

NewtRipley Thu 26-Jun-14 19:05:45

Ok it is a bot false, but it might just lead to a smile or a friendly connection. That 's better than nothing.

Fideliney Thu 26-Jun-14 19:06:14

The M&S diktat to 'find something positive to say about the customer's clothing purchase' is a bit transparent too.

<hits the hippy trail in search of authenticity>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now