AIBU to think people need to quit saying "shabby chic" and

(65 Posts)
StandardHeight Wed 25-Jun-14 23:24:45

they should just say it looks really old and crappy.

hiddenhome Wed 25-Jun-14 23:35:38

But you can buy new stuff which is deliberately made to look old.

Fideliney Wed 25-Jun-14 23:49:34

I like the farmhouse look and I don't care. Shabby chic is vandalised farmhouse style stuff.

isn't it just part of the 'vintage' trend? I used to think it was okay but now can't stand anything floral or anything with 'keep calm' on it... totally overdone now.

Fideliney Wed 25-Jun-14 23:52:55

True and bunting has had its day. It's the way any idiot with a supply of wire wool thought they could become ebay millionaires that really grates Vamp

MorrisZapp Wed 25-Jun-14 23:53:03

Done subtly it's a classic look that will never date. Overdone is another matter.

having said that, I am extremely guilty of admiring 'quirky' furniture in a particular shop window and then dp says we could just buy a chest of drawers second-hand and paint them... but it wouldn't be the same!

Happydaysatlast Wed 25-Jun-14 23:59:22

Op who are they?

Decorate your house to your taste not someone else's or what is deemed to be on trend.

Be individual not a sheep.

Fideline bunting outdated really? Nothing is outdated as there is nothing new under the sun.

Personally I have worn wedges in 1975/1988 and now for the last 3 years. Bloody knackered. grin House decor is the same, pretentious twats making money on fashion. Just do what you like.

Very liberating.

Fideliney Thu 26-Jun-14 00:09:09

I think bunting saturation was reaches in about 2008. Maybe I'm bitter because i'm just the right height to be throttled by the stuff.

Wedges are different, they are classic. Of course if I took the wedges off and embraced flats, i might be at less risk from the bunting grin

SarcyMare Thu 26-Jun-14 00:11:46

Can i add 'pre loved' , just call it used or secondhand

YouMakeMeHappy Thu 26-Jun-14 00:15:48

We call it shabby shit. I don't mind genuinely old stuff. But kath kidston in new builds is a bit wrong

CorusKate Thu 26-Jun-14 00:16:14

But surely everybody loves upcycled shabby retro chic distressed pieces?

Fideliney Thu 26-Jun-14 00:17:56

I never see any Corus. I do see beautiful antique pieces with gorgeous patinas wrecked with layers of Annie bloody Sloan sludge coloured eggshell <weeps>

Tanith Thu 26-Jun-14 00:18:23

Floral, I still quite like.

Distressed or Shabby Chic just looks badly painted to me - always has done.
The previous owner of our house not only did Shabby Chic cladding all over the walls and built in shelves, he or she distress-gelded it, too. Then they appear to have had a change of heart and gone all modern-hotel-room tiled for half the room.

Our bedroom also has a Feature Wall - a shade lighter than the rest of it confused

I know I will have to tackle it at some point sad

CorusKate Thu 26-Jun-14 00:19:56

I don't know who Annie Sloan is, but surely we can take out a contract on her?

Fideliney Thu 26-Jun-14 00:22:19

I like the way you think grin

Fideliney Thu 26-Jun-14 00:23:23

he or she distress-gelded it, too.

Ewww

Happydaysatlast Thu 26-Jun-14 00:25:37

Fideliney grin shit the fuck up with your bunting crap.

I am not redecorating dds bedrooms for you! It's like the end of the war in there and keep calm crap.

tanith my dear we know each other but I name changed. Sadly I thought feature walls were just in are dado rails out now? Break it to me gently!

Fideliney Thu 26-Jun-14 00:28:13

Well of course small people like bunting Happy they don't get their hairclips stuck in it and it reminds them of fetes and candyfloss and fun and other disgusting stuff <shudders>

Fideliney Thu 26-Jun-14 00:29:52

<slopes of to paint another wall funereal grey>

Tanith Thu 26-Jun-14 00:42:59

No dado rails in this house, Happy (waves violently!), not now we stripped the wallpaper off. We do have sage green borders and picture rails, though.

Slowly working our way through the house...

Tanith Thu 26-Jun-14 00:44:44

Actually, I say "Feature Wall" - could be they just ran out of paint grin

SilentCharisma Thu 26-Jun-14 14:31:54

I just see shabby bloody chic as beautiful pieces of old wooden furniture ruined by the kind of paintwork that looks as it needs a fresh coat.

I really offended a woman in a shop because I said to my friend 'If you stripped that down to the wood again and re-varnished it, it'd look fantastic. Shame it's been ruined by that dodgy magnolia paint.'

I didn't know she was there, that it was her shop, or her handiwork.

squoosh Thu 26-Jun-14 14:35:16

I approve of pine furniture being painted over. The sight of knotty pine makes me want to vomit all over your farmhouse interior.

TheCatsBollocks Thu 26-Jun-14 14:39:02

Shabby shower of shite.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now