Scared to post this parking.

(97 Posts)
Imsuchamess Wed 25-Jun-14 10:00:50

I am perfectly willing to be told I am being unreasonable but please do so gently I am recovering from a psychotic episode and I am delicate. Normally I wouldn't post when I feel like this but I really need to know if I am being unreasonable.

I live on a main high street there is no parking. I am on low rate mobility as is my eldest child and I am currently attempting to get high rate mobility for my middle dd. I also have a baby. I often end up carrying both my two year old and 5 year old from the car to the house.

The only place to park are residential streets. There is no where else. So I park in the street behind my house in a perfectly legal place. I know one car there has a blue badge so I never park in that space.

However I have been verbally attacked by two different residents for parking outside their house they were aggressively shouting at me while I was trying to get my two disabled dc In the car and my two year old.

Today I have had a note put on my car saying I am very inconsiderate for parking outside someone's house and that they now have to park halfway down the street (it's a small street) and that it's inconvenient for them as they have 5 children to drag up the street.

Please be gentle.

BitOutOfPractice Wed 25-Jun-14 10:02:36

Hello! No YANBU. They are.

bigdog888 Wed 25-Jun-14 10:03:46

They need to fuck the fuck off!

bigdog888 Wed 25-Jun-14 10:03:59

Report to 101. Not on. Keep the note.

BuilderMammy Wed 25-Jun-14 10:06:55

grin

They really do, though.

Justfuckitupagain Wed 25-Jun-14 10:11:24

Sending you huge <hugs> and brew

It's not you, love - it's them x

Xenadog Wed 25-Jun-14 10:11:38

YANBU. Yes it's inconvenient for others but that's the problem without having private parking facilities. They don't have any right to complain. So it's tough!

gordyslovesheep Wed 25-Jun-14 10:12:07

Yanbu they are x

Gimmesomemore Wed 25-Jun-14 10:12:34

Sorry your going through this, you've done nothing wrong!

Where do your neighbours park their cars (just out of interest?)

Seeline Wed 25-Jun-14 10:12:54

If there are no parking restrictions (yellow lines/residents only/permit holders only) and it is a public highway, anyone can park anywhere as long as you are not blocking a driveway, and are following the Highway Code in terms of not parking too near a junction etc. They are BU. Ignore and carry on what you are doing. I would keep any notes you may get though, just in case you need them In the future.

Frontier Wed 25-Jun-14 10:14:56

No you're absolutely no unreasonable but unfortunately your neighbours aren't alone. Many residents feel that they own the space outside thier house.

Around here there are a handful of disabled parking spaces close to houses where the residents need them. Is it possible your council would do that for you?

Imsuchamess Wed 25-Jun-14 10:26:09

Thank you very much. I shall ignore them and keep all notes in case this escalates.

Inthedarkaboutfashion Wed 25-Jun-14 10:29:21

If your dd gets high rate mobility granted apply for a disabled parking space so that you always have somewhere convenient to park. Your neighbours do not own the street and you can park wherever you like including outside of their house as long as you are not blocking a driveway or emergency access route.

TheFairyCaravan Wed 25-Jun-14 10:37:59

This is harassment. Ring 101 and report them.

Around here there are a handful of disabled parking spaces close to houses where the residents need them. Is it possible your council would do that for you?

Only if the OP gets higher rate mobility. The rules for which are now incredibly tight since PIP came into force.

wowfudge Wed 25-Jun-14 11:01:52

Great advice so far OP - it's really not on to berate someone who is parking legally.

steppemum Wed 25-Jun-14 11:03:51

public road, public parking.

Ignore them.

DanyStormborn Wed 25-Jun-14 13:15:35

YANBU. You can park where you want (within the law) on a public road. People do not own the road outside their house. If it is that important to them to own the closest parking space to their house they should look for a new house with a drive way. Report anybody being abusive to you and your children and keep notes a proof. Sorry you are having to go through this.

londonrach Wed 25-Jun-14 13:20:55

Ring 101 now send report in case these nasty people do something to your car. Meanwhile sending you hugs. Yanbu they are. If car is taxed and not a private road you can park there.

Write a massive sign, windscreen size saying "if I could park outside my own house I would, but tough shit, I can't!"

Leave it on the inside of your car, to keep the sun off your seats, no-one likes hot seats.

WooWooOwl Wed 25-Jun-14 13:22:52

These neighbours should have bought somewhere with off street parking if it bothered them so much. Or they should apply to the council to get residents parking permits.

It is not on to have a go at someone who is parking perfectly legally, no matter how frustrating it must be for them, especially as they live near a high street.

PersonOfInterest Wed 25-Jun-14 13:23:48

Do you know which house they're from? Get the number, ring 101 and report their harassment. They sound vile.

MissDuke Wed 25-Jun-14 13:25:01

YANBU op, they are. However obviously you don't want your car getting damaged. Is there anywhere else at all you could park? If not, keep on as you are, you really are not doing anything wrong.

APlaceInTheSummer Wed 25-Jun-14 13:32:18

YANBU. I remember pulling in to answer my phone once (pre-hands free). I accidentally parked in front of someone's house. She then parked behind me (so about 10 steps further down the road than she wanted to be). She proceeded to open my car down to shout and swear at me shock .

Point being that people can be very protective of the space in front of their house. They can also be very rude and very angry. However they still have no right to park there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now