AIBU to feel arsey with people who think it's funny that I've taken a job in a chip shop?

(51 Posts)
Caff2 Tue 24-Jun-14 20:54:36

Before I lost my job, I was a teacher, latterly on the SMT at the school.

Lost my job, money's very tight, and I have been offered a job weekends and evenings in a chippy - great, earn enough to contribute to all bills and no childcare costs.

I am losing count of the people who are making sarcy comments. sad

They are idiots. Good luck with the new job smile

HoneyBooBooChild Tue 24-Jun-14 20:56:32

Tell them to fuck off! Would they rather you sat on your arse claiming off the government? Good on you!

MsVestibule Tue 24-Jun-14 20:56:54

What sort of comments are people making? The smell? Or do they seem to think the job is beneath you?

BlackeyedSusan Tue 24-Jun-14 20:57:09

chip shop after teaching. sounds wonderful. anything but teaching

NinetyNinePercentTroll Tue 24-Jun-14 20:57:16

They are twats. Congratulations on your job, I hope it goes well.

CoffeeTea103 Tue 24-Jun-14 20:57:23

Yanbu, you're making an honest living, what is funny about that. I would tell them just that, it's rude.

Wolfiefan Tue 24-Jun-14 20:57:24

Resigned from teaching. I'd happily do a similar job. Sounds good. I'd just be glad you are working.
Perhaps reply that if they'd like to pay your rent/mortgage then you will spend your days doing something else!

jeanmiguelfangio Tue 24-Jun-14 20:57:59

Sounds great to me, good luck in your new job

Nomama Tue 24-Jun-14 20:58:32

Oh, don't get a chip on your shoulder.
Stand up for yourself, don't take a battering.
Are they rubbing salt into the wound?
You need to return with some suitably vinegary comments yourself.

Only codding...

Tell them to sod off!

Melonbreath Tue 24-Jun-14 20:58:49

Twats.
Tell them no free chips for you then.

AnotherFurry Tue 24-Jun-14 20:59:48

Good for you. Ignore them as they are clearly idiots.

Oh be careful, when I worked in a chip shop years ago I couldn't stop eating the chips and the odd pie not good for the waistline blush

hoobypickypicky Tue 24-Jun-14 21:00:02

So you're willing to work hard, carry out unsociable hours and probably take a significant pay cut to help feed and house your family and they think they're the clever ones?

They need to take a good, hard look at themselves, their manners and their brianpower - and you, you need to give yourself a pat on the back and hold your head high. Congratulations on your job, well done you. smile

Did you expect to lose your job? Did the school shut down?

They're idiots, ignore them.

Backtobedlam Tue 24-Jun-14 21:01:02

It's work, and when there's not much around you have to take it where you can. Far better then sitting at home feeling down because you've been made redundant.

Holidayfun Tue 24-Jun-14 21:02:18

Ignore, says a hell of a lot more about them than it does about your new job. Hope the job works out well for you and your family.

Caff2 Tue 24-Jun-14 21:02:45

Thanks, all! I need a bit of a cheer up, it's been tough recently and I haven't enjoyed the sarcy comments AT ALL.

LynetteScavo Tue 24-Jun-14 21:03:07

I think this is probably a find out who your friends are situation.

caruthers Tue 24-Jun-14 21:03:56

Congratulations on your new position and you just do what is best for you...well done OP.

Holidayfun Tue 24-Jun-14 21:04:11

Hooby, I love the sound of Brian powergrin

Pullingteeth Tue 24-Jun-14 21:04:55

YANBU. I think it sounds ideal for anyone wanting to work around their children. And no bringing work home with you, apart from free chips!

Nomama Tue 24-Jun-14 21:05:00

Is that tomato or brown sarcy comments?

Seriously, caff2, sod them, one and all! You are making do and mending, they are pillocks!

MammaTJ Tue 24-Jun-14 21:06:32

Good for you to put the need to earn above pride.

There are enough people in this world saying this or that job is beneath them while bemoaning they cannot feed theid kids.

You have backbone, be rightly proud of yourself for doing what needs to be done!

Ask the naysayers what they would actually do in your position! See what wonderful creative bullshit ideas they come out with!

AnyFucker Tue 24-Jun-14 21:06:45

Congratulations on your new job.

TeamEdward Tue 24-Jun-14 21:07:23

I resigned from teaching, and now run a coffee shop. I love it and have no regrets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now