AIBU to let my DD (3) wear her Disney princess dress to nursery?

(26 Posts)
PaintedLady2014 Tue 24-Jun-14 12:11:30

She's got it on and really wants to wear it to nursery. She got it yesterday and has proclaimed herself Princess Batman as she wants to be a princess AND a superhero...

She looks so cute!! I feel mean making her take it off.

snala Tue 24-Jun-14 12:13:20

Why can't she wear it?

Letting her wear it is fine but be prepared for it to come back covered in paint and crap (DFriend let her dewar her brand new Elsa dress to nursery...which she then proceeded to cover in black paint...DF was thrilled wink

WorraLiberty Tue 24-Jun-14 12:13:32

I have no idea confused

If they're supposed to wear uniform then YABU

If not then YANBU

feetheart Tue 24-Jun-14 12:13:39

Let her wear it.
I want to be Princess Batman too grin

Pixielady83 Tue 24-Jun-14 12:13:45

Nah. Most of the kids in DD's room are dressed up on any given day! smile bear in mind she will get paint on it though <perma cross about use on non washable paints at preschool>

PaintedLady2014 Tue 24-Jun-14 12:17:05

I'm not sure, there's no uniform, I just thought they might not like it. Maybe I'm being silly, this is the first bit of dressing up stuff she's had grin

Let her wear it! Maybe put leggings and a tshirt underneath so she can whip the frock off if it's too scratchy or in the way of playing. I'm sure the nursery staff have seen many princesses and superheroes!

SantanaLopez Tue 24-Jun-14 12:20:47

Let her wear it, but send in leggings and a top too. And prepare for it to get trashed!

feetheart Tue 24-Jun-14 12:22:36

DS would often go in a weird selection of dressing up stuff and odd shoes (i.e. 2 different shoes hmm) If not he would don some sort of dressing up stuff as soon as he got there smile
They will have seen it all before and if you can't dress up at 3 then there is no hope.

PaintedLady2014 Tue 24-Jun-14 12:25:29

It's a very laid back nursery to be fair, I would be worried about paint though. We can't afford to replace it.

feetheart Tue 24-Jun-14 12:32:17

Could you take her picture in it and let her take that to nursery instead after explaining that it is too new and too precious to go in to nursery at the moment?

PaintedLady2014 Tue 24-Jun-14 12:47:44

We came to compromise, I let her take her new back-pack instead. She loves her key worker and always wants to show her new things when she gets them grin

It seems we cannot escape the inevitable princess phase...but I am glad it's tempered with an obsession with superheroes.

Me and her Dad are both massive comic/film/sci-fi geeks...she seems to have caught the bug.

BoyFromTheBigBadCity Tue 24-Jun-14 12:58:09

When I was a kid I went everywhere as a fairy for a few months. Wish I could still do that... Princess Batman ftw.

Diamondsareagirls Tue 24-Jun-14 14:55:38

I would love to go to work as princess batman! Sounds fine to me!

PrincessTheresaofLiechtenstein Tue 24-Jun-14 15:18:08

Dressing up clothes from home was quite usual at the nurseries/ preschools my dcs were at, but I agree keeping the more special or expensive ones at home is sensible.

MangoBiscuit Tue 24-Jun-14 15:21:58

DD1 is currently at preschool as Super man girl. She's comfy, safe, can move about and play just fine, and there's no uniform rule, so I have no issue with it.

Can your DD move about and play safely in the dress?

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 24-Jun-14 15:26:07

Great compromise grin

That kind of thing is only fine provided they can a) move and play properly in it

B) you don't mind it getting ruined
C) they are able to still use the toilet with no assistance

sewinghomey Tue 24-Jun-14 15:26:48

The compromise sounded good smile

I work in a nursery, a lot of the girls come in dressed in princess outfits. We don't mind but they do get ruined. Paint, play dough, glue.....

There's one little girl who comes in every morning in the most gorgeous party dresses. Monsoon, John Lewis etc. I cringe every time she gets her hands in the paint and smears in everywhere! confused

betold Tue 24-Jun-14 15:30:45

My dd has thiswww.ebay.co.uk/ctm/Girls-Superhero-Batgirl-Costume-Kids-Batgirl-Fancy-Dress-Girls-Batgirl-Costume- so she can be Batgirl. A nice relief from pink and Disney!

I saw a little girl wearing a batman princess dress at pickup last week, 'twas amazing.

PaintedLady2014 Tue 24-Jun-14 15:45:15

betold - the batman one is awesome! I'll have to add that to her birthday list. She does tend to grab my knickers off the dryer and stick her head through a leg hole whilst running around saying SUPER SCARLET TO THE RESCUE!!

Only embarrassing if we have company grin

betold Tue 24-Jun-14 16:54:29

She sounds great Painted, I'm all for supporting the girls to kick ass. When DD has her Batgirl costume on I have to refer to her as Batgirl or she won't answer, and she calls me Batmum!

YouMakeMeHappy Tue 24-Jun-14 16:56:23

YANBU, she's only little. She's got years of boring uniform ahead of her. Let her have fun while she can

PaintedLady2014 Tue 24-Jun-14 17:11:23

betold she is great grin. Thanks. We danced all the way home today, it was fun. She is my only so its all new to me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now