How do I not know this?

(43 Posts)
Bardette Tue 24-Jun-14 10:47:57

Did you know that ladybirds start off as grubs and then go into a cocoon like a butterfly? Well I didn't.
Watching 'Minibeasts with Jess' on Cbeebies (with dcs I hasten to add) and they are collecting little black and red caterpillar thingies which are baby ladybirds.
I consider myself fairly well educated, was I off sick on ladybird day? Should I consider suing the school? What else don't I know?
Tell me I'm not alone in my ignorance...

Seeline Tue 24-Jun-14 10:49:59

I consider my self well educated, and also fairly interested in wildlife and nature and I didn't know that either blush
Do all beetles do that then ? shock

WhyIRayLiotta Tue 24-Jun-14 10:53:19

Wow. News to me too.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 24-Jun-14 10:54:31

Ooh I didnt know either!

A very well educated relative thought Seahorses were mythical, well into her forties. Was shocked when she saw them at an Aquarium.

redexpat Tue 24-Jun-14 10:57:13

Me neither!

I learned from QI that the great fire of london didnt kill off the plague, it was already in decline. So school lied to me about that.

HayDayQueen Tue 24-Jun-14 10:59:10

But seahorses LOOK like they should be mythical really, they should up there with unicorns!

I knew the baby ladybirds were little caterpillar things, but didn't twig to the cocoon laying bit. But I only found that out from a mini beasts book that DS1 received when leaving nursery.

Bardette Tue 24-Jun-14 12:37:22

Thank you. I am relieved to know it's not just me smile

When i was at secondary school we saw hundreds of tiny ladybirds flying out from under a bench. I assumed they were all hatching from a cluster of eggs but maybe they had all made their cacoons close together instead?

So no i didn't know that and thought ladybirds laid eggs!

BadgersInTheSlurryLagoon Tue 24-Jun-14 12:50:40

I didn't know that either! Why have I never seen a ladybird cocoon?

A good friend of mine thought that a bullock was just a baby bull, and persisted in this belief pretty much up until she was applying for Vet Med courses at university...

CinnamonPlums Tue 24-Jun-14 12:58:57

I didn't know it either until I saw minibeast adventures! I recorded it and showed my Mum (70 ish) who was similarly amazed.

Then my girls found these a few days later. Why have I never seen them before? Now I see them everywhere!

CinnamonPlums Tue 24-Jun-14 13:00:27

I didn't know it either until I saw minibeast adventures! I recorded it and showed my Mum (70 ish) who was similarly amazed.

Then my girls found these a few days later. Why have I never seen them before? Now I see them everywhere!

I didn't know that either! And I discovered yesterday that baby crabs aren't laid in eggs or born, apparently they're plankton first...?

softlysoftly Tue 24-Jun-14 13:02:57

But a bullock is technically a baby/adolescent bull confused

I didn't know the ladybird thing either!

softlysoftly Tue 24-Jun-14 13:03:29

Plankton?!

TinklyLittleLaugh Tue 24-Jun-14 13:05:17

Don't all insects do the egg, caterpillar, cocoon thing?

OnIlkelyMoorBahtat Tue 24-Jun-14 13:07:36

Oh is that what those are? I'd never seen them before either and have been flicking them off my herbs blush

CinnamonPlums Tue 24-Jun-14 13:10:01

No they don't all do the cocoon thing!

HayDayQueen Tue 24-Jun-14 13:11:33

I always thought Plankton was a plant! But its tiny animals too.... it's basically a mix of all sorts of tiny plants and animals, some of the animals will grow up into other animals (like crabs) others stay plankton for their whole life......

weird....

softlysoftly Tue 24-Jun-14 13:11:37

You are

JimmyCorkhill Tue 24-Jun-14 13:13:08

Ha ha! DH and I DD2 watched that this morning and was were equally amazed!

softlysoftly Tue 24-Jun-14 13:13:16

www.bluecrab.info/lifecycle.html

oops pressed too soon.

I never knew plankton was animals as well as plants. I feel all edumacated now grin

TinklyLittleLaugh Tue 24-Jun-14 13:15:19

Just googled and you are right Cinnamon. I never knew that.

fuckweasel Tue 24-Jun-14 13:17:28

Zooplankton = animals
Phytoplankton = plants

Stinkle Tue 24-Jun-14 13:24:57

I never knew about the ladybirds either. Or about the plankton. I always thought that was just planty/algae type stuff.

I will admit to thinking seahorses were mythical too until a few years ago when I saw them in a Sea Life Centre.

I was like "oh my god! Seahorses are real? much to the amusement of DH, my kids and several onlookers blush

They just don't look like they should be real, actual things.

kennyp Tue 24-Jun-14 13:26:24

i never knew that about ladybirds (how much more feminine could their name be?!?!) either.

englightened of the east xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now