To think it can't be done (holiday packing)

(81 Posts)
WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Mon 23-Jun-14 16:58:17

Argh. Dh has just looked at my pile(s) of packing for one week in France. He has just informed me that he has not booked us any luggage allowance (flying Ryanair).

So I have to pack for two adults, dd (3) and ds (8 months) using only two carry on cases and dd's trunkii (sp?)

Never mind that they both have emollient creams and suncreams that is easily bigger than 100ml

Is he being overly optimistic or am I being a bit high maintenance

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Mon 23-Jun-14 19:30:27

We are not doing a resort so will just be using the locals supermarket for essentials.

The fool refuses to be moved on this, combination of bloody mindedness, him being too right to pay of the bag and thinking I over pack everywhere we go (he may have a point on this one).

I'm going to take mummys advice put together everything we need and let him figure out how to get it on a plane. We are flying with MIL and FIL - I bet he has to ask them to pack extra items.

Oriunda Mon 23-Jun-14 19:37:26

Each passenger over 2yrs is allowed one carry on case plus a small bag. So you can have 3 cases (or 2 cases plus the trunki) as well as 3 smaller bags eg a rucksack/nappy bag. Creams can be bought once through security in Boots so can be over 100ml. It's only before security that <100ml applies. I've not heard about babies under 2 having a 5kg allowance, must be a new rule?

rookiemater Mon 23-Jun-14 19:39:56

It's £60 for a 15kg bag return and £80 for a 20kg bag unless you wait until the day you are flying and the prices go up quite considerably.

Personally I'd just book the bag. There are two of you in the relationship and your vote is presumably equal to his. If he is absolutely unmovable on it, then spell out the consequences - he has to buy sun lotion and emolliant when you get there, he needs to ensure that you have decent nappies.

Depends where you are, but if there isn't a big supermarket then sun cream and nappies can be expensive so the saving you are making versus the inconvenience isn't that great if you have these things at home already.

ChickenFajitasAndNachos Mon 23-Jun-14 19:52:06

Take control of your life, book a couple of cases.

Phineyj Mon 23-Jun-14 19:56:48

I would not risk ruining a holiday over £60, myself. Just because it can be done, doesn't mean YOU have to!

Mrsjayy Mon 23-Jun-14 20:18:35

Here is an idea get him to pack arse ca, psite will have a laundrete your husband can do a wash, take q bloody case and pay for it

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Mon 23-Jun-14 20:30:02

Is he planning to wear the same jeans and shoes all week? No flip flops or other shoes? No shorts?

No swimwear or towels for anyone?

I suppose if you are staying with friends or relatives he can use their washing powder, fabric conditioner etc, when he washes and dries everyone's clothes exactly half way through the week, when everyone has run out? Has he accounted for the extra clothes needed by the DCs for when they spill their drinks, or throw up everywhere?

I find paying for a case annoying, but suck it up. £60 is a relatively small percentage of the cost of a week's holiday for 4, and the real cost will be less once you have bought all the toiletries, nappies etc that you need.

Lottiedoubtie Mon 23-Jun-14 20:35:24

Right, you are equal in this relationship (I bloody hope) you want a case. He is 'unmoveable'.

So, pay for a case for yourself and let him sort out and pack for himself and the children.

You can be unmovable too!

zipzap Mon 23-Jun-14 20:49:09

Hmm. Bet he's thinking that he will have his carry on to put all his stuff in and then you can put yours and the dc in your case,the trunki and the nappy bag.

Make sure he realises that he gets less than half his cabin bag as you know that the stuff that the rest of you need will be taking up so much of the rest of the space... And is he going to be doing all the repeat washing that needs to be done (without washing machine?) while you are on holiday too - assuming that with two very little ones and limited space for clothes there is a good chance that you will have to do at least one wash, if not more, and there's a good chance that it won't be a particularly nice one to do by hand at least once!

Do you know the password he used to make the booking so you can amend it?

Are you going out with your PIL - could you ask them to book a case for you and just present it as a done deal?

Might also be worth double checking very carefully about the emollient creams and 'discovering' that you can only take 100ml through in carry on baggage so you need to take a hold bag just so you can take enough grin

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Mon 23-Jun-14 20:50:44

Yes we do have a fairly equal relationship.

Trouble is this holiday is his mum and dad's present to him (birthday). They have booked the flights and upon his say so have booked no hold luggage.

I can't really just book a case as I don't want to look ungrateful to my (lovely) PILs.

I'm definitely favouring the option of here is the heap of crap we need darling now deal with it.

Oldraver Mon 23-Jun-14 20:52:48

If he is 'unmovable' on the subject then he gets to pack and do laundry every other day

Tinkerball Mon 23-Jun-14 21:01:00

There's no way I would go on holiday with just a cabin bag and no hold luggage, I couldn't manage it plus I wouldn't want to!

defineme Mon 23-Jun-14 21:02:07

But you can have 4 bags including the nappy bag? Either you can take emolliant creams because they sre prescription or decant -we are prescribed massive ones but I wouldn't need to take a whole one for a week. Most airports have a boots once you are through so you could buy suncream then if you don't want to buy abroad.
It really is possible and lovely not to queue to check bags in.

Trills Mon 23-Jun-14 21:16:33

Unless your PIL are very unreasonable people, booking a case will save you more stress than it causes.

Maybe it can be done with only hand luggage. But just because something is possible doesn't mean it's desirable.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Mon 23-Jun-14 21:16:37

Yep I think he will be on laundry duty for the while of the hol.

This is probably payback for the last two (uk) trips we had where I took far too much stuff.

TheRealAmandaClarke Mon 23-Jun-14 21:36:01

So you have to pack 4 ppl's stuff in three hand luggage bags?
No. You need hold luggage. Even one case should do it.
It really is something you should be able to discuss. It's not something to fall out over or be worried about being ungrateful about.
If he won't check a hold bag in then I would say:
You have to pack your stuff and the kids stuff in those 3 bags. It's do able.
Just.
I would take a travel sized bottle of sunscreen and buy the rest there. Then utterly minimise the clothing. Nappies you obviously buy there (apart from the few you need for the journey. If you arrive and regret not taking something you can buy it there.
He can sort his own stuff out. It's ridiculous to expect that you can pack man clothes in a teeny bag.

HolgerDanske Tue 24-Jun-14 06:40:09

How on earth would it look ungrateful to book an extra bag? I really don't think you need to worry about that... Surely it's common sense.

I am glad I'm not in your shoes, I would be so angry I think I'd have refused to pack, or go, by now.

londonrach Tue 24-Jun-14 06:45:55

It's doable but you have to buy creams in Spain. A lot less stressful is just to book one hold case. Don't seen the problem. Might cost more to buy the creams there.

Brabra Tue 24-Jun-14 06:49:35

You have a washing machine? And you are only going for a week? What crap do small children need these days? I am really not trying to be facetious, I really can't understand just how much stuff you will actually need?

You are being ridiculous about this.

You are going on a free holiday and you are quibbling about spending £60 of your money on something you need. All because your DH is being silly and you are being a wimp.

Amateurish Tue 24-Jun-14 08:27:49

Do you have to take the Trunki? Could you not change that for a proper carry on piece of luggage? Then at least you should have three proper sized bags.

Personally, I think it's doable. We never book hold luggage for our trips abroad any more, even with small kids. If you have laundry facilities, and the weather is nice, then there really isn't that much you need to take.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Tue 24-Jun-14 08:29:24

Thanks for the support paula grin

Mixed response from the threads. Some say its madness some say they emigrated to Chile with just hand luggage (joking).

As I said I will pile up the crap we need to take and then it's his problem. A suitcase can still be booked if needed - I'm not going to let it bother me, it's his decision so his problem.

Can't believe I have time to post this, the worlds worst sleeping toddler is still in bed. smile hmm maybe she's ill

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Tue 24-Jun-14 08:39:22

brabra maybe it's just me being crap but there's so much stuff I end up taking. Toys for the three year old and the eight month old.

Snacks for both of them, the kindle to keep her entertained on the plane.

Emollient cream, calpol, ibuprofen, sun cream, Piriton, two kinds of nappy cream. Nappies for flight, nappy bags, travel change mat, wet wipes.

Sippy cup for the baby - thankfully he's breastfed so we don't need milk and bottles.

It doesn't sound like much but we only have 35kgs of luggage allowed so it all adds up. Dh is convinced he can do it though.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Tue 24-Jun-14 08:48:09

But, Amateurish. Perhaps they dont want to bother doing washing on holiday, and depending when they're going, and what part of France they're going to, they might need to account for different types of weather, clothes wise.

You could just take the clothes you're standing up in and wash them all every night, but it's a bit miserable to do so.

If the OP thinks she will save a lot of stress and bother by taking one hold case, then she should do so.

Most people on this thread seem to be light packers, but I've seen people on here who insist that they need a new daytime and nighttime outfit every single day, plus sleeping/lounging clothes, several pair so f shoes, multiple ipad type devices, swimming kit, piles or different types of towels, hair dryers, straighteners, sacks of toiletries, cosmetics and medications, certain toys and blankets for the DCs, specific types of food not available abroad, and a hundred other things I haven't thought of.

The OP doesn't sound like one of these people BTW, but just because some people are happy to wear the same clothes multiple times and do washing on holiday, it doesn't mean that others who don't want to do this are being ridiculous.

I also think that the OPs DH will be wanting to put some of his stuff in other cases - she mentioned electrical items, but he doesn't appear to be taking any spare shorts/trousers or shoes, which is never sensible and I bet he hasn't thought about toiletries and medication either.

Things like paracetamol are often much more expensive abroad and only available from pharmacies, which are usually closed between Saturday lunchtime and Monday morning. I therefore think it is sensible to take things like this with you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now