to think if your first office job is in your 30s its too hard to adjust

(337 Posts)
spegal Mon 23-Jun-14 12:43:03

Hi,

I've started an office job in my 30s, its been a month and still just finding it a miserable and boring existence. Such dull conversations and other people seam to delight in pointing out minor mistakes or picking arguments over little things. To be honest I really don't care about it all, I'm just like whatever its not like anyone is going to die if something isn't perfect.

I'm coming to the conclusion I'm just not an office 9-6 kind of person. Maybe if I had started in my 20s I could of coped. But now I've had such a great life not sat in offices it makes it so hard.

Am I being stuck up or does anyone see my point of view?

Might just stick it out till Xmas for the cash

PeachandRaspberry Mon 23-Jun-14 12:44:14

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SirChenjin Mon 23-Jun-14 12:44:40

What do you want to do instead? What are you going to do to achieve that?

snowgirl1 Mon 23-Jun-14 12:44:42

What did you do before?

Happydaysatlast Mon 23-Jun-14 12:46:41

Pehaps you are just too clever for them.

rocketeer Mon 23-Jun-14 12:48:36

YABU.Why don't you just leave now so someone who really needs a job and is happy in an office environment can start? For someone in their 30 ' you sound like a spoilt teenager!

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Mon 23-Jun-14 12:49:20

Sticking it out for the cash is pretty much what the rest of us do too.

AncientBallerina Mon 23-Jun-14 12:49:50

Roar @ PeachandRaspberry
I am in my mid 40s and have taken a job in a comeety different in environment, which I am finding a bit stressful but it pays well so I am just dealing with it. TBH I was thinking that if I was in my 50s I might find it difficult to adapt bit not in my 30s. Maybe it's the job and people where you are, not working in an office per se. Do you have a choice?

spegal Mon 23-Jun-14 12:49:57

I think I would just go back to working for myself and start my own businesses, got lots of ideas I want to work on and this office job seams like it sucking my creativity.

Timeforabiscuit Mon 23-Jun-14 12:50:04

Bwah hah ha

REALLY???

If you don't like the job find a new one, its not rocket science.

PetulaGordino Mon 23-Jun-14 12:50:04

not all offices are the same

Mrsrochesterscat Mon 23-Jun-14 12:50:35

It sounds like the type of work you do in this office is not for you, it also sounds like you work with some unpleasant people. Not every office is the same. However, you may just prefer a more physically active role?

PresidentSpreadable Mon 23-Jun-14 12:50:35

Some offices are great, some are shit.

What did you do before?

CecilyP Mon 23-Jun-14 12:50:39

Can't you go back to what you were doing before? Can't you retrain for something more interesting? Of course you can adjust to office work at 30 - millions do! Perhaps it is just this particular office that is difficult - perhaps you can use this job as a stepping stone to another job where you might meet people more to your taste.

It's not an easy transition, especially if you're used to a more 'fluid' way of working. You can get used to it though.

What did you do before? Is there anything similar you can put your skills to, where you may feel happier? We do spend a massive proportion of our time at work after all.

TheFirstOfHerName Mon 23-Jun-14 12:53:32

I started an office job aged 36, after being a doctor and then a SAHM. Five years on and I still really enjoy it. Perhaps it depends on the team?

BitterAndOnlySlightlyTwisted Mon 23-Jun-14 12:53:45

Sounds like you're not in the right environment, rather than not being suited to an office job per se.

Mrsrochesterscat Mon 23-Jun-14 12:53:56

I agree AlexReid, it is important to be happy at work.

spegal Mon 23-Jun-14 12:54:48

To be honest, this is the first real job I've had.

Last year I was working usually 4 days a week doing add hoc promotions work. I would get paid 12 pounds an hour for 6 hours to hand out cheese samples, often the cheese was all handed out after a couple of hours and could just go do nice things and still get paid. I'm getting a bit too old for this kind of stuff now.

RiverTam Mon 23-Jun-14 12:55:05

I work in a creative industry, in an office. If the job is wrong for you then the environment is neither here nor there, and vice versa. But if it's a stepping stone to better things then stick with it.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but you do sound a bit snobbish, and like you're 'better' than them - if your co-workers are picking up on that, then that's not going to make a happy working environment.

RiverTam Mon 23-Jun-14 12:56:28

it's your first real job?! Sorry, sympathy out the window, sort yourself out. £12 an hour to hand out cheese samples? You're in la-la land, and you sound lazy and entitled.

Sahkoora Mon 23-Jun-14 12:56:45

I hated office work too, even in my 20s. I found the places I worked were full of people who thought they were doing Very Important Work (they weren't) and that the days felt interminable. I also hated having to dress smartly every day!

If you don't like office work, don't do it. I went into retail and was much happier, even though the pay was worse. I couldn't stand the thought of working in an office environment until retirement, no matter if it was more prestigious and meant I was using my education.

I'm not saying offices are horrible, but they didn't suit me.

PetulaGordino Mon 23-Jun-14 12:56:54

tbh you don't sound like you have a terribly good work ethic

do you need the money?

spegal Mon 23-Jun-14 12:57:27

Sorry Tam why do I sound better than them?

spegal Mon 23-Jun-14 12:58:00

I spent my 20s in education and internships - have two degrees.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now