Are you a pensioner? Just retired? Forget that, become a teacher!!

(153 Posts)
kim147 Mon 23-Jun-14 07:30:21

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/10918509/Tory-plans-for-retired-pensioners-to-retrain-as-teachers.html

Who needs to put your feet up at 70? Why not retrain and share your knowledge, skills and experience as a maths teacher? You'll be replacing the teachers who have either left after 5 years or are counting down till retirement.

And don't worry about the SLT telling you how to teach. What do those young things know? I'm sure they'll respect your extensive skills and knowledge.

AIBU to think that the Conservatives ought to address the issues that make teachers leave in the first place?

EvilTwins Mon 23-Jun-14 07:36:35

Totally bonkers.

YANBU - the government needs to start listening to the reasons teachers leave and stop trying to make out that we've never had it so good.

mumteedum Mon 23-Jun-14 07:37:00

That's bonkers! A friend is a newly qualified maths teacher. She's struggling with work load and is on 3rd job in 2 years (her choice). Yy that issues making teachers leave need addressing urgently. Pensioners would have hard time finding the energy to cope. Not an attractive deal for them.

Fideliney Mon 23-Jun-14 07:37:52

Soldiers and pensioners then? hmm

rollonthesummer Mon 23-Jun-14 07:45:37

I cannot believe that is real?!

caramelwaffle Mon 23-Jun-14 07:49:09

Well, well.

Anything not to pay out future pensions, eh?

BlackeyedSusan Mon 23-Jun-14 07:54:02

yeah 'cos' teaching is easy innit! all those holidays and only working from 9-3.30. oh yes.

{insert several expletives}

rollonthesummer Mon 23-Jun-14 07:55:40

All the teachers in my school who are 55+ are either off sick with stress, taking early retirement this year or are on capability. It is not a happy place for those who are slow or old school. Has David Cameron been in a school in the last yeast?

rollonthesummer Mon 23-Jun-14 07:58:26

Year, not yeast!

Hey, it'll be a nice little job with some pin money for them. Short hours, no paperwork, well-respected, no stress. Oh, wait...

Fideliney Mon 23-Jun-14 07:58:46

Well it's not too bad with motivated over 18s on a sessional basis Susan. I'm sure secondary is the same <rolls up sleeves>

80sMum Mon 23-Jun-14 07:59:01

Good God! What a ludicrous idea!

CecilyP Mon 23-Jun-14 08:06:17

Had to check the date. No, not April 1st! It is really a crazy idea. Possibly a thought for people who have taken early retirement, very early retirement, but otherwise, no. Teaching is such a demanding, full on job, that you need a lot of energy to do it. While I think I could continue with my job after retirement age, most of my teacher friends are looking at ways that they will be able to go before then. And they all say that the demands of the job are far greater than when they began their teaching careers.

I really do think that they should be looking into why people are leaving the profession and trying to address that, than coming up with this nonsense.

He said: �We have got to remind young people that English and maths are vocational subjects. I tell my children there is not a job in the world that does not require English and maths.

Did he really say that? In the world, really? It isn't even true of the UK where many with little or no English still manage to find work.

Icimoi Mon 23-Jun-14 08:09:03

My teacher dd works a 12 hour plus day. I don't want to do that now, let alone when I retire.

IdealistAndProudOfIt Mon 23-Jun-14 08:16:10

I also had to check the date! D'you think they're starting a new midsummer joke day tradition?

Cameron has kids himself doesn't he? How does he seriously expect over-65's (or 70's) to have the sheer energy to cope with a class full of kids? I cAn barely keep up with my two. Oh of course he probably just hands them over ro the nanny.

At a time when there are few jobs to be had, too. Increase the workforce, that'll help.

Madness, a joke of some sort, or just plain incompetence (a sneaking suspicion I'vebeen harbouring for a while now)?

guggenheim Mon 23-Jun-14 08:17:03

HAAAAA Haaaaa!

Ahem. Why of course,retired teachers will be just DESPERATE to come back and get stuck in to 70 hour weeks with Govey in charge. Right? Right? hmm

Hang on I'll just ask a few...

rollonthesummer Mon 23-Jun-14 08:20:38

What sort of people are they envisaging do this? They'll have to have a degree presumably? So people in their 50/60s now with degrees? Not everyone got a degree then so it's probably people who had a degree and perhaps a professional job? Ex lawyers? Engineers? Dentists? Doctors? Yeah-they'll be champing at the bit to spend their retirement teaching disinclined 15 year olds!

Or will they just be given the high acheivers?!!

AramintaDeWinter Mon 23-Jun-14 08:28:58

What a fantastic idea. Bring back 1950's values to the classroom and great for the ex-retirees - lovely long holidays and finish at 3pm every day - just in time for a nice sit-down and a cuppa with Countdown on the TV.
It's not like teaching is at all stressful, or requiring fully qualified and trained professionals to do it - oh no.

ilovesooty Mon 23-Jun-14 08:30:15

Perhaps he plans to sanction refusers and withhold their pensions.

echt Mon 23-Jun-14 08:45:44

What a knob end.

I suppose that there are already quite a number of pensioners who used to be teachers, won't need re-training and know what it's like. Hang on…

Then there's the PIT, the pool of inactive teachers. What about them?

I notice he only speaks of pensioner who never were teachers. Those in the know wouldn't touch it with a bargee's tool of trade.

I rather think ilovesooty is on the money. So far from having leap hurdles to get higher pay, you'll have to leap to leave.

Iggly Mon 23-Jun-14 08:56:47

Keep it coming, keep it coming Tories

Keep coming out with these bullshit "ideas" and you won't win a majority again

thegreylady Mon 23-Jun-14 08:57:51

Good grief! I am 70 and have been retired from teaching for about 12 years. I wouldn't/ couldn't go back for twice the money. Maybe all politicians should be obliged to do a year's teacher training on the job in an inner city school

Eliza22 Mon 23-Jun-14 09:02:03

Madness. Why would any of us want to work til we drop? Then, we'll be made to feel like a burden on the State when we finally do retire amidst accusations that we have the audacity to have become ageing population/we're living too long.

Eliza22 Mon 23-Jun-14 09:03:56

GreyLady didn't they already do this? I saw Jeremy Hunt loitering around an NHS hospital doing his work experience, last year, I think. He was like a spare part. They're all bloody useless toffs.

splendide Mon 23-Jun-14 09:05:36

I actually completely agree with all your objections in principal.

But weirdly my dad did exactly this and it went brilliantly. He went and taught the lowest set maths at the local school and improvements in results those year were amazing. Apparently 30 years on the board room does give precisely the skills needed to deal with some difficult 15 year olds. He was just very unphased by their rudeness and genuinely got along with them.

But I think that (well he i suppose i mean) was the exception rather than the rule.

pointythings Mon 23-Jun-14 09:05:44

This would be the funniest joke of the year, if only it were a joke. Unfortunately it's the people who came up with this who are the joke.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now