AIBU to mystified about leg waxing if you have...

(123 Posts)
UnhappyFeet Sat 21-Jun-14 19:32:23

... Dark hair. I have tried it. Within 3 weeks the new growth is very visible. Then it has to grow a certain length before being redone. It's very expensive to keep having it done professionally, but the main issue is that my legs look ok for only approx 2 weeks per professional wax.

So... I am now waxing them myself, every few days to get rid of new growth. Legs look ok from a distance but wouldn't want them inflected in bright sunlight, lol! There are still several spare hairs that are visible in certain light. I can see this level of hair growth would be fine if I was fair, but I'm not.

What's the secret? Do I persevere?

slightlyglitterstained Fri 01-Aug-14 23:28:40

Curious about which Silk epil people mean, there are loads of them!

m.boots.com/mt/www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SolrSearchLister?storeId=10052&langId=-1&catalogId=11051&stReq=1&searchTerm=braun+silk-%C3%A9pil&un_jtt_search=Go&un_form_encoding=utf-8

There are various wet & dry ones, and a gazillion attachments. Are they all pretty much of a muchness? There seems to be up to 100 quid difference in price!

CynthiaRose Fri 01-Aug-14 23:14:01

Ouch catsmother!

I've been flicking them out with a pair of tweezers too, but there are fucking loads of the things. Huge amounts on my legs. I guess I stick with the exfoliating for a few weeks and see what happens.

ClaireFraser Fri 01-Aug-14 23:11:49

Forgot to say, I do lather up with soap/shower gel with the scrubby mitts etc, helps with a smooth shave.

ClaireFraser Fri 01-Aug-14 23:09:20

I shave my legs/underarms every day of every other day. I find that exfoliating really well in the shower - I either use a pair of those scrubby gloves, a shower puff or a Dermaflannel - each time before I shave sems to prevent those little bumps, it also lifts the hair shaft up so I can get a closer shave and means it is a super quicker job.

Moisturising well afterwards also helps with the general appearance.

On a separate note, I find that men's razors are cheaper, much longer lasting and do a much better job than women's. I use this one with replaceable heads.

With women's razors I had to replace the head every month, I reckon I can go pretty much double that with men's.

I'm dark haired and fair skinned and means I can keep on top of it easily and keep smooth legs and pits.

catsmother Fri 01-Aug-14 22:54:31

I've noticed quite a few ingrown hairs too .... so have been "flicking" them out with a fine needle before epilating - they are literally just below the skin's surface so no pain or blood involved ! But have also been making an effort to exfoliate - something I admit I rarely did before - and have been using one of those scrunchy net things (don't know what they're called) with normal shower gel. Have only been doing it for a few weeks so can't say conclusively yet, but I think it's helping and if nothing else my skin texture definitely appears smoother.

One word of warning - if you have long hair (on your head, 'cos I know some of us have "long hair" elsewhere which is kind of the point of this thread .... ) do make sure you tie it back. I wasn't scalped thankfully but caught a load in the bloody epilator yesterday and had to cut a chunk out as it was so tangled up!

CynthiaRose Fri 01-Aug-14 21:55:53

I bought an epilator a few weeks ago as a result of this thread. I like it, but I have got LOADS on ingrowing hairs over my legs. I've started exfoliating properly every couple of days, I've been a bit rubbish at that sort of thing before, but no difference so far. Is it worth carrying on, or should I abandon the whole thing??

alemci Fri 11-Jul-14 10:47:50

I did my armpits with the epilator today. It was awful and really hurt.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Thu 10-Jul-14 23:19:44

I've just been for waxing today; all off except for a tiny Brazilian. I find that the most painful thing for me is my KNEES. The back hurts like buggery, the front even worse.

I remembered this thread and my beautician suggested the following:

* If you shave in between waxing appointments, you'll encourage the hair to grow waywardly instead of in the same direction more or less. Needs more applications so more painful.

* Paracetamol an hour before really does work.

* If you decide to have it 'all off', get it done in stages, it hurts less and the regrowing areas are much sparser as the treatment progresses.

I went for a swim after the waxing today, it really helps take out any sting.

ScarlettlovesRhett Thu 10-Jul-14 19:18:16

I actually find the underarms less nippy with the epilator than the legs (although I don't find the legs particularly bad either).

If you regularly epilate your pits then eventually you are just pulling out a few short hairs at a time (takes seconds, I do it before I dry my hair in the morning) it doesn't hurt at all tbh.

I wouldn't use anything else now (other than getting everything lasered).

marshmum Thu 10-Jul-14 18:27:41

Another very dark and hairy mum, leg hair only made thicker by teenage shaving, which caused much soreness / rash. I've used a philips epilator for nearly 20 years. So many benefits over waxing, massively cheaper after intial purchase, can do ongoing maintenance rather than having to grow it all out for weeks. I had an old metal tweezer disc epilator for a long time but my new-ish (about four years?) one has ceramic tweezer discs which are really amazing, they get the finest, shortest hairs really easily. I do my lower legs and pits regularly (once or twice a week to be presentable, takes about 10 mins) and it has certainly reduced the growth a lot and after the first couple of years it barely hurts I'm immune to the pain now Thighs and bikini are bit more ouchy but they get done much less regularly or sometimes shaved. It is important to exfoliate to avoid in-growing hairs and the best time to epilate to reduce any pain is definitely straight after getting out of a warm bath when the pores are more open. I'm sure that using the epilator for so long has certainly made a big reduction in the hair growth on my lower legs, I think most of my hair follicles have given up!

ObfusKate Thu 10-Jul-14 15:02:31

I have hairy legs almost all the time, but I do succumb to my own self-imposed shame and pressure, and remove it when I'm wearing shorts (don't do skirts).

Waxing hurts and looks terrible as my skin is sensitive, shaving looks terrible as my skin is sensitive, and I'm not about to spend money on devices which will almost certainly hurt and make my stupid sensitive skin go bright red and lumpy for a week.

So I use a beard trimmer and just trim the bulk of the length off. My legs still feel a little stubbly, but you can't see any hair, and it looks a hell of a lot better than a shaving/waxing disaster zone.

catsmother Thu 10-Jul-14 11:29:32

It's the HP6423 MrsGosling .... well, I did my bikini line with it. It also comes with a detachable trimming bit I think you're supposed to prepare your errr "longer" hair with before finishing it off by epilating but I didn't bother.

MrsKoala ... I'm not that tall, about 5'6", but am pretty hairy even though I'm redheaded and pale skinned. My body hair looks as though it belongs to someone else hmm and unfortunately covers my entire leg (I do have two legs but YKWIM). I certainly could never wear shorts, let alone go swimming without a lot of groundwork beforehand.

First time it probably took me an hour or more to do both legs - not helped by the fact I've got bad eyesight and kept taking my glasses on and off as I contorted myself into different positions trying to see what needed to be done. But since then, I've probably spent 10 to 15 mins doing a catch up. I can see now however that there are quite a few hairs lurking just beneath the surface on my upper leg which haven't yet erupted - which kind of fits with the notion that my hair cycle seems to be about 2-3 weeks after a wax (and not the 6 weeks of hair free skin oft mentioned) so I'm guessing I'll probably have to have another major overhaul shortly once they all come through.

alemci Thu 10-Jul-14 11:16:27

I find the whole thing a nightmare. I am currently 'growing' my hairs ready for an annual leg wax to go on holiday. I have been epilating on and off but I tend to leave the tops of my legs as they are not exposed.

I can't wear trousers for 6 weeks' so inevitably I will have hair growth on holiday as the hairs were under the skin.

Has anyone tried that No no thing you see advertised on channel 5 which is meant to be wonderful?

MrsGoslingWannabe Thu 10-Jul-14 11:06:11

grin at "are you very hairy and tall?" MrsK! That's me you speak of! To answer your question I found epilating my legs very quick but then the hair was long blush I'm a bit scared of doing my underarms and bikini. Top of thigh was fine but then I accidentally let it grab at the longer hairs further in and scared myself!

MrsGoslingWannabe Thu 10-Jul-14 10:44:35

What model is that catsmother? I've got the HP6577/00 but not sure if its suitable for bikini line and underarm.

MrsKoala Thu 10-Jul-14 10:40:34

I don't find waxing painful at all. I think the hot feeling of the wax and the quickness takes any pain away. but i could punch the therapist when she pulls out any stragglers with the tweezers. So I'm not sure if epilating is for me. hmmm. Also (hope you don't mind the questions, please don't answer if you don't want to) how long does it take? (are you very hairy and tall?)

VioletHare Thu 10-Jul-14 10:39:08

I just don't see the point in waxing my legs tbh. For the reasons you say, my regrowth is so obvious, then you have to wait to have it done again.

The only thing I regularly get waxed is my top lip grin . I've had it done once a month for the past 6 months and I think the hair follicles are already nearly gone because it's barely anything now. I can't imagine i'll have to do it much longer at all.

catsmother Thu 10-Jul-14 10:35:48

I've never tried threading (though am starting to seriously consider it for so-called "peach fuzz" on my face sad) but honestly, I don't think my experience of epilation is really that painful. There are a few areas - like the back of your knees - or top of inner thighs near bikini line - which are more sensitive but it really is a momentary "oooh" .... maybe because the surface area of the roller isn't that large so you're not actually pulling out that many hairs at a time ? That'd seem to be borne out by the fact the first time I did it hurt the most ... since then when I'm just dealing with any stragglers, it definitely hurts less, and when you whizz over to pick up 3 or 4 short hairs it really doesn't hurt at all (IME anyway). Waxing has definitely hurt more for me - a lot more. Ditto ripping off a well stuck plaster. Am so pleased with it - is well within the realms of bearable.

MrsKoala Thu 10-Jul-14 10:01:05

That's interesting Cats - it's been years since i tried one. Honestly, how painful is it? Can you compare it to something? Ie threading? (I find eyebrow threading excruciating, but as it's such a small area and only about once every 6wks i bear it - but i couldn't have it done all over my legs.)

catsmother Thu 10-Jul-14 09:08:10

On the back of this thread I bought myself an epilator - a Philips Satinelle - which was half price in Boots at the time (about £35 IIRC) and am just reporting back in case anyone else in a similar position was also thinking of getting one. In my last reply I said that my previous attempt at epilation was excrutiating - that model had these spring like coils, and it was awful. This Satinelle though - have to say so far I'm very impressed .... its tweezer-roller thing really does seem to get rid of even very short stubble (think 2-3 days after shaving) and there's surprisingly minimal pain. I've done my whole legs, including bikini line and have been "going over" them every 2-3 days since - to catch hair at different stages of regrowth and also because I missed some first time round (doing it in good light obviously helps and if you have long hair, make sure to tie it back). Who knows if that'll be a pattern I have to consistently follow, but in comparison to shaving which I really needed to do daily all over my legs, epilation, though time consuming does appear so far to be giving me better results as you don't get the stubble (or the remaining "dark pores") nor do you get the cuts or soreness I always used to. I'm finding it very satisfying to see all these little hairs pulled out by their roots and whilst you can argue that an all over leg wax is probably quicker, you'd have to leave new growth for longer before dealing with it, whereas the epilator grabs really short hair. Another plus for me is that the embarrassment factor is gone - and of course in the long term it'll be cheaper.

Haven't plucked up the courage yet to try it on my underarms ..... but can really recommend it to anyone dithering about trying one.

Morloth Thu 10-Jul-14 07:33:40

I don't remove any body hair, I am very furry and I wear skirts if I feel like it.

I like my fur, it is nice.

Nothing bad has ever happened to me because I have body hair, well not that I noticed anyway.

This is why I went back to shaving.

Theodorous Thu 10-Jul-14 06:21:21

Whatever it is it works. I didn't check the somantics of the thing, it was too painful for me to think about it. I took painkillers before going and used 10% lidocaine spray half an hour before which really helped.

FFSFFS Wed 09-Jul-14 12:43:31

IPL hair removal thingies are not lasers. IPL stands for intensive light pulse. WIKI info HERE
I have a lumea philips from Boots. (I'm the same poster as down the thread). The longer I use it the more I love it.

MrsGoslingWannabe Wed 09-Jul-14 11:30:16

Hmm, looks like like I brought the thread back to life but didn't get an answer about how to work my epilator!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now