A hitting child

(5 Posts)
junkfoodaddict Tue 17-Jun-14 22:09:22

Am I BU to remove my DS aged 2 from a Children Centre play session because another child, also aged 2, hits him several times on every occasion he is there with no provocation or reason? The child has also lashed out at other children too.

Some friends tell me that my DS shouldn't be the one missing out but the staff are aware of the child's behaviour, which to many is not being managed by his mum very well, and they are either unwilling/can't do anything about it.

I've tried turning a blind eye for months but my DS is having to run from his play when the boy gets too close as he is becoming scared of being hit and hurt. I am getting fed up as is DS!

This boy is due to start nursery next year and school the year after with my DS and I am dreading it as it's a one-form entry school!

Famzilla Tue 17-Jun-14 22:13:36

Can you talk to the mum about it, or even hover over your DS and stop the other child from hitting him whilst saying "no we don't hit" or something loud enough for his mum to hear.

I have a hitter and I worry that people don't think I'm doing enough, even though I pretty much helicopter over her every second she's in public sad

Famzilla Tue 17-Jun-14 22:14:06

Wow, really could've done with some punctuation there sorry!

junkfoodaddict Tue 17-Jun-14 22:23:05

My mum is always watching from a distance, hence why we know it's happening. It is not unusual for the boy's mum to be chatting away or flicking through a catalogue or magazine. Sometimes the boy is just there!

As for having a word - the mum and dad of one of DS's friends had a word on separate occasions and about separate situations involving their daughter. The latter being the boy throttling their daughter which resulted i the boy crying because the mum of the girl being strangled had to prise him off and tell him 'no'. She took the boy back to mum and apologised but told her what had happened but the mum of the boy seemed peeved that she had done that.

I don't want to fall out with the mum but I think she's avoiding me as it is! I have to think of DS's needs first before the feelings of the mum.

Sorry Famzilla that you're having a hard time with your DD hitting. I am well aware that 2 yr olds go through all sorts of phases hence why I had taken a blind eye for months but when I see my DS becoming scared to play, I feel that enough is enough.

Famzilla Tue 17-Jun-14 22:47:17

No of course you must protect your child, and it is not on for the mother to be ignoring this behaviour.

If I were in your position I would just helicopter over your child, and grab the other child's hand and tell him to stop every time he makes a beeline for your DC. It's obviously not fair on you to have to do this but it's not fair on your DC to miss out on something he enjoys either. Hopefully he will get the message soon enough and leave your child alone.

Also, so what if the mother gets annoyed? Sounds like she is in the wrong here and the more times it is brought to her attention the better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now