AIBU regarding nudity?

(8 Posts)
shadack Tue 17-Jun-14 21:47:29

AIBU to think this is wrong? by all means if your hidden in a corner fine but to you have to parade about!

I live in a very touristy area with lot's of family with young kids and some wonderful beaches for the UK.
Several days this week my parents (very non confrontational with others) have gone to a local beach for a swim, the end of the beach is about half a mile from the closest access and each time the same man has been starkers

The first time he was hidden behind some rocks not a problem

Second time he arrived after my folks and striped off and sat in his usual spot a second man was also starkers the other side of my parents
at this point a youngish lady walked down the beach, she saw the first chap and altered her course so as not to be too close the second man, the regular, saw this and jumped up parading in front of her walking directly towards her till she went back to the other side of the beach

The third time regular guy was there again parading up and down the beach a couple had a windbreak up they had pants on to start with but the lady had no top, after swimming when the woman had pants on they striped and started playing friz-be
This is a family beach and you could see that people were avoiding that section

My parents said his attitude when parading was very much go on i dare you to say anything/staking his territory

I advised my parents to call the council first to check it wasn't a nudey beach, the person they talked to said it wasn't but that it wasn't a problem?!?!
They then called 101 the policeman they talked to said that obviously it is serious and that next time they see him to call 101 again and report it but that they would also try to pop down, its not an easy place to access

Now me and my DP are not afraid of confrontation and hate this type of bully boy tactic's especially at a family beach with little kids
I am temped to leave DD with PIL and take my two hulking great dogs down the beach (dog friendly) for the next few days to see if he turns up again
I wouldn't actually take them as he might claim they attacked/ were dangerous as dangerous as fluffy slippers
But i would confront him as well as calling 101

fluffyraggies Tue 17-Jun-14 21:53:14

I would guess that it infringes indecency laws to be nude in an undesignated place.

So IMO YANBU.

Bluebelljumpsoverthemoon Tue 17-Jun-14 22:36:30

They were in a quiet part of the beach and weren't doing anything offensive/aggressive/threatening, they were simply naked. If that offends you or your parents you can dislike it but it's not your business to interfere, just as religious people who think all women should be covered head to toe are told to look away if the general publics immodesty offends them, so should you.

rinabean Tue 17-Jun-14 22:46:09

As far as I know it's only a crime if people are offended?

I have sympathy for the topless woman but you should keep your bottoms on with other people around. It's common courtesy. Not like they were naked on an empty beach and then you arrived or something.

And the man does sound nasty, following that woman and intimidating her.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Tue 17-Jun-14 22:49:21

I doubt it infringes any laws. Just being nude on public is not an offence in England. If you are doing it to deliberately harass someone then it does become an offence, but on a beach I think that's going to be difficult to prosecute.

shadack Tue 17-Jun-14 23:23:12

Bluebell if you read the post Regular guy basically chases off people who come down that part of the beach by intimidation, neither i nor my parents would have a problem if someone was being discrete and was accidentally stumbled upon but walking up and down a family beach starkers is different

its the intimidation part and indecent exposure to minors on purpose that is wrong but by the sound of it some people must think its fine for a 40/50 year old man to be naked in-front of kids hmm

Sallyingforth Tue 17-Jun-14 23:36:33

If the guy was waving his willy at people that's clearly wrong.

But there is nothing whatever wrong with being simply nude on a beach. I am always unclothed on beaches because I am far more comfortable that way.

There is nothing dirty or offensive about the human body.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Tue 17-Jun-14 23:42:31

If standing on a plinth in Trafalgar Square naked isn't considered indecent exposure, I doubt that walking up and down on a beach is. People are allowed to walk on a beach in the nude.

Tbh I think it's going to be difficult trying to prove offence if you keep returning to the same part of the beach that you know there are people regularly walking/sunbathing naked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now