to think 6pm is late enough?

(107 Posts)
Oakmaiden Tue 17-Jun-14 19:31:57

Because my daughter thinks I am very unreasonable. It is still light. She doesn't go to bed for aaaaaages. All her friends are still playing out.

But I think that 6pm is a reasonable time for a 10 year old to come in, eat tea, and then stay indoors.

What do you think?

cardibach Tue 17-Jun-14 19:34:12

6pm is a reasonable time to come in and have tea. I don't really see why going out to play again afterwards on these lovely light evenings is a problem, though. What is your issue? What do you want her to do inside/not do outside?

WowOoo Tue 17-Jun-14 19:35:03

I made my 8 year old come in at 6:30. Not sure about a 10 year old.
He had his dinner at 5 though.

I wanted to get both in and lock them in so I can get on with stuff without having to keep checking on the 4 boys in the garden.
Is it the same reasoning for you?

Maybe83 Tue 17-Jun-14 19:35:40

I'm with your daughter I'm afraid I wouldn't make my dd come in at 6 for the evening in this weather at 10.

reluctantphotographer Tue 17-Jun-14 19:35:42

Why can't she go back out after tea?

Oakmaiden Tue 17-Jun-14 19:37:05

I don't know, really. I guess I just feel it is time to be unwinding and in the house...

ILoveWooly Tue 17-Jun-14 19:38:04

Our 11 year old has to be in the garden 8pm. In bed for 9pm on a school night.

I would have let her go back out after eating. Wish I could get my 2 to go out in the first place

PopcornFrenzy Tue 17-Jun-14 19:39:12

Surely light nights are made for playing out?

dietcokeandcadburys Tue 17-Jun-14 19:39:15

She'll tire herself out more if she's outside, that's better for going to sleep IMO than sitting inside for 2-3 hours.

Oakmaiden Tue 17-Jun-14 19:39:18

This is the first summer we have had this issue, because where we lived previously she didn't have friends to play out with, so I haven't really thought about it too much.

I think I just feel that 6pm stops being afternoon and starts being evening, and that she should have quieter activities than charging up and down the street on her roller skates in the evening.

Am I actually unreasonable here?

my ds went out at 6.30pm last night for an hour or so (makes a change as he rarely wants to go out)

I would let her go back out after. When's bedtime?

I like winding down to happen for an hour to have bath, supper, story etc.

So if she goes to bed at 8.30 I'd let her out til 7.30.

They really need to run around a lot at that age.

Happyringo Tue 17-Jun-14 19:41:26

at age 10 i think its a bit harsh to make her come in at 6...i think in the summer when my dd1 was 10 she used to come in for dinner about 530-6 then go back out, i used to say approx 8pm term time, maybe slightly later in the holidays. she was never that far away though, her friends were all within 1 or 2 streets of us.

Maybe83 Tue 17-Jun-14 19:42:04

Yes I think so summers are short and enough evening s are spent in during winter. Even more so if this is her first chance to experience being able to play out with friends.

If they aren't causing any problems and just having good fun then I would.

kinkymouse Tue 17-Jun-14 19:42:07

I would let her play out. We don't get many nights that the weather is good enough and it's light enough. She will probably have a better deeper sleep from the fresh air.

reluctantphotographer Tue 17-Jun-14 19:42:18

As long as she's in about half an hour before bed for a wind down/teeth clean/story/bath I don't really see the issue with her going out again after tea. Mine would often bolt their tea to get back out again at that age!

Happyringo Tue 17-Jun-14 19:42:18

oh and yes in answer to your question, i think yabu! sorry!

cardibach Tue 17-Jun-14 19:42:45

I think YABU, yes. OP. She doesn't need quiet activities for hours before bed and being out and active with friends is good for her.

Chasingsquirrels Tue 17-Jun-14 19:43:24

I'd want my 11yo (yr 6) back by 8pm atm. But as he never goes out after tea it isn't an issue.

My 8yo I'd want back by 7.30pm.

Whereisegg Tue 17-Jun-14 19:43:24

My 10yo dd is out right now.
If she had homework due she wouldn't be.

I think yabu.

whatever5 Tue 17-Jun-14 19:44:07

I agree with your daughter that 6 p.m. is unnecessarily early and it is unlikely that any of her school friends have to be indoors by that time in the summer. What time does she go to bed?

colette Tue 17-Jun-14 19:45:30

My 10yr old is out on a trampoline , Summer is too short

Eelseelseels Tue 17-Jun-14 19:45:34

Sorry. I'd say 7. But only if she's done her homework, eaten her tea and promises to go to bed on time and without a fuss

Oakmaiden Tue 17-Jun-14 19:45:37

I wish I had let her go back out now. She is nagging me to sew name tapes on her guide camp kit.

So I should let her play out til 8pm ish? It feels very late to me...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now