to not want to draw a pretty border and a picture as part of a homework project

(137 Posts)
kim147 Tue 17-Jun-14 19:07:46

Homework - to write a poem. Well that's hard enough - but it's done.
Also says - draw a border, decorate it and add a picture.

It took long enough to do the poem. I can't see the point of the extra stuff. AIBU to not get DS to do it - or am I setting a bad example with regards to homework?

Get him to draw a squiggle round it in a colour of his choice - 1 minute max

kim147 Tue 17-Jun-14 19:11:22

Too late - got handed in.

Ex and I are having a slight disagreement about it and standards.

I have given similar homework in the past, as I was compiling a class book - "Our Favourite Poems", so they had to look nice.
Your DS's teacher may be doing something similar with children's own poems or perhaps making a poetry display for the wall. If it's really too much effort, keep it very simple.

Cornettoninja Tue 17-Jun-14 19:22:24

If those were the instructions I think they should be followed tbh.

A simple border and picture isn't asking too much, it's only as time consuming as you want to make it.

whereisshe Tue 17-Jun-14 19:33:33

You can't see the point of visual art and learning about where the inspiration for illustrations comes from? Ok.

kim147 Tue 17-Jun-14 19:35:05

Visual art - you haven't seen DS drawing.
It took long enough to get him to do the poem.

Captainbarnacles1101 Tue 17-Jun-14 19:36:28

YABU. He was set a homework and you allowed him to hand it in incomplete! What message does that send. It's not ur job to second guess his teacher. I think you have sent a strong message to your son that any old rubbish will do. hmm

whereisshe Tue 17-Jun-14 19:37:11

But he doesn't have to be good at it? I was terrible at poetry but good at art at school. Still had to write poetry and I did learn from doing it.

TheLastQuestion Tue 17-Jun-14 19:38:59

Depends on how old he is really.

It sounds like it may be a bit tough pinning your DS down for homework. Maybe your DH should be responsible from now on wink

morethanpotatoprints Tue 17-Jun-14 19:45:11

Mine all conveniently forgot to bring homework home, then we got it a few days after everyone else and they did it very quickly and gave it in at the end of the week with everyone else, if they remembered.
Some people make too much of homework, lifes too short.
I'm sure it was fine OP

NoodleOodle Tue 17-Jun-14 19:46:45

I wouldn't have bothered with the border and picture either. Even if they were making a display out of them, as suggested above, if it's a poetry display then some scribbles with a crayon around the edge is not important. And, there has to be a limit somewhere, homework should take an age appropriate amount of time.

GenerationX2 Tue 17-Jun-14 19:49:16

no I would not have bothered with the picture or border I think that is just busy work and not necessary to the learning objective

kim147 Tue 17-Jun-14 19:58:52

I think homework needs be linked to the school work and have a relevant learning objective. This just seemed like a random homework - with the added bit teachers say "decorate it" at the end. He spent a hell of a long time doing the poem - quite honestly the decoration was an after thought and after the sheer amount of effort we'd put into the poem, that just felt like too much.

I've got a massive issue with the school and homework anyway at the moment.

LastTango Tue 17-Jun-14 19:58:54

Are you also going to encourage him to skip half the exam question when he is old enough to take them?

kim147 Tue 17-Jun-14 20:00:23

No - because they count for something and give you marks.

kim147 Tue 17-Jun-14 20:04:52

Getting DS to do homework is really hard. He procrastinates, dithers and actively avoids it if he can. So I felt really pleased that we'd got the actual poem done. That took a lot of effort. And a lot of time.

Captainbarnacles1101 Tue 17-Jun-14 20:09:59

And what about the fact that he didn't finish his homework. How did u explain that to him?

kim147 Tue 17-Jun-14 20:11:16

He didn't see that bit. He did the most important bit in far more time than the school expected. I don't think he'd have been bothered.

jamdonut Tue 17-Jun-14 20:12:36

Drawing borders and illustrations for a piece of work like a poem is fairly standard practice. It's all to do with presentation. And how do you know the work being asked for isn't being considered for display? I think YABU.

EndoplasmicReticulum Tue 17-Jun-14 20:15:08

Oh I'm with you on this one.

My son does not like drawing or decorating. He'll do the homework (eventually) but asking him to make it "pretty" is not what he's good at, and strikes me as a bit of a waste of time.

Like when he got marked down in maths because his numberlines were wonky. He'd already worked out the answer in his head.

You don't say in your posts but I'm assuming primary school?

You could always be awkward and ask what the learning objective was for this particular piece of homework.

kim147 Tue 17-Jun-14 20:15:26

No it isn't. Decorations are just to make it look pretty. And if it's for display, it should be done in class time so they actual poem is well thought out. Not a homework job.

kim147 Tue 17-Jun-14 20:16:40

The L.O. - to write a poem.

That's it. And there's no learning how to write a poem. Just to write a poem. Not decorate it.

Captainbarnacles1101 Tue 17-Jun-14 20:20:39

But are u not supposed to be teaching him that if he is set a task he should complete it to the best of his ability? Teach h to take pride in his work and put 100% effort into it?
How would u feel
In 10 years time if u ask him to do something for u at home and he doesn't complete it?
It doesn't matter what ur feelings are on art or borders etc you need to ensure he completes the task. You didn't do that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now