2nd hand birthday present....

(17 Posts)
CiderLover Tue 17-Jun-14 14:39:37

Me and my girlfriend have just moved in together, things are a little tight to be honest as there was a lot of work to do on the house.

Her birthday is next week and all she talks about is one of those Biorb fish tanks.

Anyway, would it be crap to get her a 2nd hand one? I would make sure it was all clean etc. The one I've seen is boxed and has been "refurbished".

When she looks online for them she always looks for 2nd hand ones.

I dont know why I'm asking because I have already boguht a second hand one and am starting to panic now!

Nomama Tue 17-Jun-14 14:41:11

It will be fine. You have shown initiative.

Better a 2nd hand one than none at all.

Cutting cloth to match purse and all that.

Do not panic. She will love it smile

thedancingbear Tue 17-Jun-14 14:41:14

No, it's blatantly fine.

AJ65 Tue 17-Jun-14 14:42:07

It really is the thought that counts; you are getting her what she wants and she doesn't need the box it came in.

PrincessBabyCat Tue 17-Jun-14 14:42:10

It'll be fine. Who cares where it came from.

It'd be extra awesome if you set it up and put some fish in it to surprise her if you can do it while she's gone. smile

Pobblewhohasnotoes Tue 17-Jun-14 14:42:33

Don't panic, it'll be fine. Get some nice fishes!

Infact I've just chucked one of those things out, dammit...

mslion Tue 17-Jun-14 14:42:54

Would be fine with me as I am very much a second-hand kind of person.

You know your girlfriend - does she like/mind second-hand stuff? That should give you your answer

AtYourCervix Tue 17-Jun-14 14:43:35

They are crap and expensive and seriously bad for fish.

AtYourCervix Tue 17-Jun-14 14:45:14

And please don't think about setting it up now and putting fish in it next week. It takes weeks to ready a tank.

HenI5 Tue 17-Jun-14 14:46:23

Well, it's a bit late now if it's bought AYC.

I'd reverse it and say if it were me and we'd just moved and there's so much to do on the house, I'd be upset at receiving a very expensive birthday present that took money away from that, so no, it should be fine.

AtYourCervix Tue 17-Jun-14 14:47:30

Poor fish sad

Nomama Tue 17-Jun-14 14:47:34

In fact don't even think about buying the fish... let her have that pleasure!

She will enjoy the shopping and it gives the tank time to settle / acclimatise / do its stuff.

CiderLover Tue 17-Jun-14 14:50:51

She only has 1 goldfish which she has had for a very long time. It is a 30 litre tanka nd the assistant at local aquarium store has said these are fine as long as you follow the instructions and guidelines. The tank will setlle for at least 10 days before I put the fish in it.

She is always buying second hand things. I just thought it may be a little lame to give a 2nd hand item for a birthday!

I have also bought her a DVD she has been after for a long time so smile

2boys1girlNoPeace Tue 17-Jun-14 16:10:18

I'd be happy with it personally, I think she will just be grateful you have put thought into the gift, not how much it cost,

Daddypigsgusset Tue 17-Jun-14 16:12:07

What's wrong with b'orbs or dare I ask?

QueenofallIsee Tue 17-Jun-14 16:18:20

I think that is lovely and very thoughtful if that is what she asked for

MollySolverson Tue 17-Jun-14 16:24:11

I'd be fine with it. Some people are funny about second hand and "have" to have new, but if your girlf has been looking at second hand ones already then it sounds like she's a sensible sort who will appreciate it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now