To put a pack of chicken drumsticks outside to defrost?

(25 Posts)
highlystrung Tue 17-Jun-14 14:31:07

Only did it for an hour at most, taken in and still pretty much frozen but I'm now panicking that we'll all get food poisoning. Not sure what I thought I was doing really - except I needed it for tonight and forgot to take it out of the freezer. It's now back in the fridge. Was all sealed in the packaging. Do I chuck away or will we survive tonight's tea?

HELP!!

Pobblewhohasnotoes Tue 17-Jun-14 14:32:58

I defrost everything on the work top, never in the fridge. We are all very much still alive.

picnicbasketcase Tue 17-Jun-14 14:33:39

I seriously doubt it will do any harm. I would continue to defrost and eat them later on, but then I was shock to discover on another thread that anyone washes meat before cooking it, so what do I know smile

highlystrung Tue 17-Jun-14 14:34:39

Is pretty hot here today though (SW England) - hence why I put it outside. Surely cooking would kill of any bacteria?

I always defrost stuff on the worktop and then put it in the fridge to be cooked later

CiderLover Tue 17-Jun-14 14:35:03

You can usually tell by the smell.

Think of it like this though. You go to a shop and buy some frozen chicken, its an hour long journey on bus or car.
You wouldn't throw them would you?
Should be fine, just dont refreeze and eat today

do you mean outside as in in the garden rather than just in the kitchen??

weegiemum Tue 17-Jun-14 14:37:15

I'd leave them out till soft unless the cat could get them

Then cook.

But I'm happy to do a fast microwave defrost if need be!

CorusKate Tue 17-Jun-14 14:38:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ilovexmastime Tue 17-Jun-14 14:39:23

It will be fine so long as it's thoroughly defrosted by the time you cook it... I'd get it back out of the fridge if I were you!

Nomama Tue 17-Jun-14 14:39:41

No, you can't tell by the smell. Never, ever, ever rely on that. The deadliest of the bacteria thingies don't change the smell of food.

But you should be fine, OP. It isn't as common as everyone thinks and, as has been said, frozen food travels home in hot stuffy cars, on buses, on foot, and we don't think anything of it!

Pobblewhohasnotoes Tue 17-Jun-14 14:41:16

As someone who has just moved from sw London, I quite often defrost stuff on the windowsill too.

It wouldn't worry me.

highlystrung Tue 17-Jun-14 14:41:57

Sorry yes meant the garden - in direct sunlight - and it's pretty hot today. I defrost on the counter in the kitchen all the time and have always been fine (touches wood)

Amethyst24 Tue 17-Jun-14 14:43:59

Fastest, safest way to defrost food is to wrap it well and submerge in cold water.

SilverShadows Tue 17-Jun-14 14:46:14

Fastest, safest way to defrost food is to wrap it well and submerge in cold water

This. Although I've been known to put stuff in the conservatory to defrost. Does your microwave have a defrost function?

Nanny0gg Tue 17-Jun-14 14:50:31

I wouldn't eat it.

Either microwave defrost or defrost in the fridge if possible.

I may defrost in a cupboard (to keep away from cats), but never in that kind of heat source.

highlystrung Tue 17-Jun-14 14:51:37

But isn't defrosting in a microwave just cooking it on a low heat?

LottieJenkins Tue 17-Jun-14 14:56:46

They wouldnt last two minutes in our garden! The dogs would snaffle them!!! grin

Conkie Tue 17-Jun-14 14:57:27

Defrosting in a microwave just cooks it. I work in a kitchen and we defrost stuff on the side all the time if we need it quickly. Never been a kitchen that didn't do that.

CorusKate Tue 17-Jun-14 14:57:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squoosh Tue 17-Jun-14 15:00:10

I defrost all meat on the draining board whilst simultaneously laughing in the face of meat defrosting guidelines.

However the Grim Reaper will have heard your panicked 'HELP!!' and will most likely now come a-knockin'.

Fudgeface123 Tue 17-Jun-14 15:19:58

I cook chicken from frozen and I'm still here

Nomama Tue 17-Jun-14 15:27:57

Who said that?

Is there a ghostyfudgeface????

highlystrung Tue 17-Jun-14 15:52:33

I'm talking my garden patio in 23 degrees not my kitchen worktop - I do that all the time and have lived to tell the tale. Anyway I've bottled it and just bought a gammon joint to have instead.

Crinkle77 Tue 17-Jun-14 16:51:41

It will be fine. It was less than an hour and is still frozen. If it was all day then I might be a bit more cautious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now