To ask if anyone has just upped and moved leaving everything behind?

(110 Posts)
WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Tue 17-Jun-14 12:27:30

Whether it be another area of UK or abroad, do you regret it? Did it work out?

shinybaubles Tue 17-Jun-14 12:30:42

Yes we did and it did work out. Do you mean everything as in possessions or people?

Do you mean literally leaving everything you own, or are you talking about relocating?

Xcountry Tue 17-Jun-14 12:32:11

Done it several times and it always worked out fine. Not saying it wasn't hard but it was fine. DH can be posted anywhere so we have to uproot every few years.

WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Tue 17-Jun-14 12:33:48

Either relocating or leaving everything behind, apart from the kids obviously.

shinybaubles Tue 17-Jun-14 12:34:53

In that case we have done it a couple of times and it can be fine, but only if everyone is on the same page.

whatsagoodusername Tue 17-Jun-14 12:53:21

I did it when I was 23 and moved to the UK. I had no job, no home, no connections. I don't regret it and it worked out very well.

It would be harder now, with DH and the DC and all the grown up encumbrances, but I'd do it again. Would be happier if there was at least one of job/home/connections waiting though!

WestEast Tue 17-Jun-14 13:01:22

Yeah I did it last year when my marriage went up the shitter. New job, new house, new city, new pretty much bloody everything.
The first few weeks were painfully lonely on the evenings, when I got home from work at 6, I didn't have phone signal or the internet and felt completely disconnected from the world, plus I was probably depressed as well. I had no one to talk to or turn to.
Roll on a year later, I'm with someone new, in a tidy new house, I've made new friends, am loving my job and most importantly I'm happy.
It was fucking terrifying at first, the amount of times I questioned moving was in the 100's, but I know now that it was ultimately the right thing to do

I enjoyed moving around as a child. I loved the sense of anticipation. I've been in one place for years now, but every now and then I get antsy about people knowing who I am and I want to go somewhere new.

softlysoftly Tue 17-Jun-14 13:03:53

I did at about 29 moved from home to Wales. Rented with DH. He knew the place but I knew noone. Got a job. Made friends and eventually bought and started a family.

All worked out fine and I would do it again though harder now as you have to factor in DCs needs.

AnyFucker Tue 17-Jun-14 13:06:36

Kind of. But I didn't own property and i didn't have kids.

MagpieMama Tue 17-Jun-14 13:10:12

We're about to relocate from one end of the country to the other, really exciting but I'm also terrified!

summertimeandthelivingiseasy Tue 17-Jun-14 13:12:08

I knew someone who sold the contents of their house, put the house keys through the building soc's door and left the uk with only suitcases.

They had 3 kids. Rumour had it that they were running around shoeless at the start. Later rumours said they were all fine (the DH used to turn up at international conferences and meet former colleagues).

Not sure what would happen if they wanted to come back though.

NickiFury Tue 17-Jun-14 13:20:55

Many times. From an army background and that has stuck with me even though not now in forces myself. I don't get attached to places and people really, am used to moving on. With I could now but have two dc and I have had to settle down for them.

KlokkenErOl Tue 17-Jun-14 13:30:31

I did. I walked away with one bag. To a different country. Not saying I'd want to do it again but now that it's well behind me, there's comfort in knowing I was strong enough to do it, that it can be done, and that now matter how bad a situation is, there's another life for you somewhere else.

WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Tue 17-Jun-14 13:34:38

Basically I hate where I live, I hate the house, our neighbour is awful, I hate the area, I feel trapped. I moved here when my family lived here to help care for them, now they are gone its a very isolating place to live, without a car I cannot even get out easily. I can go weeks without seeing anyone as I work from home. Dd hates it here too, theres nothing to tie us here now.

i don't mind not seeing anyone but not being able to easily get out just for a walk round town is awful.

Dd goes to high school in September and once she is in we are stuck for five years. The thought of that makes me feel sick tbh.

WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Tue 17-Jun-14 13:36:21

Plus theres a lot of other crap going on.

Where would you like to go? Would your job move with you?

WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Tue 17-Jun-14 13:38:30

Klokken wow, did you save up/know people there etc? How did you survive initially?

ShoeWhore Tue 17-Jun-14 13:39:04

Yes. Moved to a new city straight after uni. Moved here 10 years ago. Just about to move again. Hoping not to do it again for a while though!

If you do want to do it then get a wriggle on - you will need to sort out a new school place for September asap.

Brings to mind 3 times when I've moved somewhere not knowing anyone, oh 4 actually, once as a child.

The most exciting time was when I moved out to Japan for a year with DP, and found myself work teaching English once I was there. He had a job for a year though and his colleagues helped us a lot in settling in.

When dd was a baby we moved up to this city from London, again with DH's job. I knew no-one at first, but have made lots of friends now, 14 years on.

Then there was going off to Uni at 18, though luckily one friend went to the same place. And moving home with family aged 8. I guess I had my family, but it felt quite similar with new school and leaving old friends behind a bit and making new ones.

"Good friends we have had, oh good friends we've lost, along the way (way)" Bob Marley smile

Can you afford to move? If so, go for it. You will find a school place for your DD somewhere else if you are a bit flexible ?

After University I arrived in London with my stuff in a backpack and no idea where I was going to live. 20 years later I'm still here.

WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Tue 17-Jun-14 13:41:53

Job would move with me, that is not an issue. I would like to live somewhere where I can have a life, where there are things I can join to get out of the house, where its not a nightmare just getting out for a bit of shopping, where me and the kids can get out and do something at the weekend without it costing a fortune just to get there.

Where we basically have some standard of life.

Are you quite rural / in a small community now?
Do you want to live in a city or a large town?
North / Midlands or South?
Inland or Coast?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now