Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be lazy and ask about HIATUS HERNIAS here - sorry

(13 Posts)
Fenton Mon 16-Jun-14 19:28:45

I just know I'll get more useful and concise help here than endless googling - I'm sorry to use AIBU like this.

I'm not that sorry

Husband has just been told he has a fairly large one. We know about no chocolate, caffeine and alcohol, and not eating to close to going to bed.

Anything else a real no no? or anything that, actually is not a big deal?

or more importantly, anything which will make it grow very much worse?

He's had the endoscopy, but hasn't yet had the appointment through for the consultation to discuss in any detail, so he's driving himself slightly mad with worry he's going to do something terrible to it.

CorporateRockWhore Mon 16-Jun-14 19:30:55

Well I have known about mine for about 8 years and apart from a bit of heartburn and sleeping on three pillows if I have eaten a bit later so as not to aspirate any acid, nothing else of interest has ever happened. smile

GobbolinoCat Mon 16-Jun-14 19:42:00

really why no choclate and alchol, i have one but never knew that?

CrohnicallyExhausted Mon 16-Jun-14 19:46:29

I think I have one and I swear by Gaviscon. Rather than stopping acid production, it forms a layer over the stomach contents and prevents them coming back up, so fewer side effects. It can be used in conjunction with acid blockers too.

callow Mon 16-Jun-14 19:51:49

There is nothing terrible you can do to a hiatus hernia. It is a weakness in the muscle that separates the food gullet (oesophagus) with the stomach. Part of the stomach slips up or it can move up and down. It will not grow bigger in the next few weeks.

They don't tend to repair them as the surgery is not that successful, so they only offer if for very large hiatus hernias.

What you shouldn't eat if very individual, each person has different triggers.

www.patient.co.uk/health/hiatus-hernia-leaflet

My mum has had one for over 30 years. She takes a prescription antacid and that's about it, other than avoiding cucumbers and bananas which seem to both aggravate it.

Hoppinggreen Mon 16-Jun-14 20:28:08

I can't find any triggers apart from peppers, not chilis but the big ones.
I find that peppermint tea is really good, I rarely take antacids these days

thegreylady Mon 16-Jun-14 20:29:37

I have a smallish one and have been taking Omeprazole for about 10 years now. As long as I remember the pill each morning I can eat anything.
Before that the triggers were, red wine, smoked fish and anything spicy.

CrohnicallyExhausted Mon 16-Jun-14 20:36:40

Really popping? I can't drink peppermint tea because it gives me heartburn (usually I don't have heartburn I just constantly burp/bring food up). Apparently peppermint tea relaxes the stomach muscles so in my case it allows more reflux to happen.

WorkingBling Mon 16-Jun-14 20:38:25

He should definitely track what he eats to see what feels good. I find rich food like cream, heavy cheese, butter etc make me I'll. chilli etc never bothered me at all.

I do find that, irritatingly, a low gi diet can make things worse. So ironically processed toast definitely less likely to aggravate me than porridge. It's a bit weird but I assume it's because the body has to work harder to digest low gi food but that the result is increased acid production.

WorkingBling Mon 16-Jun-14 20:39:28

Oh, and when it flares up, go with regular small bland meals. I have been known to eat white rice and peas for a day.

Fenton Tue 17-Jun-14 11:56:19

Thanks all.

He's on one 40mg Omeprazole a day. The hernia is about 6cm long, it was the doc who said it was quite large.

I think we'll start introducing stuff gradually to see if it really makes any difference, - he's getting rather bored of the bland shite I'm dishing up for him and very much misses the red wine.

It's just the worry of not knowing - but I guess as with many things it's very much an individual thing, - he may already have intolerances that we didn't know about with have nothing to do with the effect of the hernia itself.

Time to start listening a bit more to what his gut is telling him I suppose.

Thanks again. smile

Hoppinggreen Tue 17-Jun-14 12:41:04

Yes definitely peppermint.
When I was pg my consultant prescribed peppermint drops as well.
No idea how it helps but it does, don't remember the last time I had to take antacids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now