grandparent dying, allowed time off work?

(25 Posts)
squaktheparrot Mon 16-Jun-14 16:41:43

If your grandparent is dying (been told hours/days at most) then are you allowed time off work to be with them as they pass? If very close to them?

weeblueberry Mon 16-Jun-14 16:43:54

It really depends on the company:

https://www.gov.uk/time-off-for-dependants/your-rights

Lots of info on the gov website.

Sorry you're going through this. sad

aprovinciallady Mon 16-Jun-14 16:44:25

Depends on your company.

ICanSeeTheSun Mon 16-Jun-14 16:45:24

Sorry you are going through this, but you can self certify for 7 days.

I would phone in sick with stress.

ProudAS Mon 16-Jun-14 16:45:25

So sorry to hear what you're going through

There are laws re time off for dependants (which includes close family) although only what is reasonable in the circumstances.

Might you be better off posting in employment?

aprovinciallady Mon 16-Jun-14 16:45:56

Whoops.

Mine would make you take annual leave, then it would at your managers discretion if you got bereavement leave. I recently lost my uncle and my grandfather & my manager gave me leave for both but the policy is actualy only to aloe leave for 'natural' parents & children.

BackforGood Mon 16-Jun-14 16:46:31

Sorry you are going through this.
Generally, then I'd say no - they don't have to.
IME, when people know their staff, then (depending on the job/ if it needs covering) they do their utmost to help them out when things aren't going well, but, IME, it's been as a goodwill / unofficial thing rather than a formal agreement.

ProudAS Mon 16-Jun-14 16:46:42

Good point ICanSeeTheSun - if the OP is stressed then that's clearly a valid reason for time off.

BarbarianMum Mon 16-Jun-14 16:46:51

I would be allowed to take unpaid leave or holiday to cover this but wouldn't expect compassionate leave except to cover the funeral. Other employers may have different ideas.

Sorry that you are facing this.

flipchart Mon 16-Jun-14 16:48:13

Every company is different. I work for Lancashire County Council and they gave me 4 days off with pay and I was allowed to take annual leave or unpaid leave or to make my time up if I needed longer. I was also given compassionate leave for the funeral. This was for my grandad.

squaktheparrot Mon 16-Jun-14 16:58:48

I don't care if I get paid. Am not leaving her. Am a nanny.

Please don't post on my fb if you know who I am. Not all far away family know.

squaktheparrot Mon 16-Jun-14 17:00:39

Come as a sudden shock. Was very physically fit. Sudden massive bleed on brain.

I would be useless at work.

Heels99 Mon 16-Jun-14 17:01:47

You are entitled to unpaid emergency leave to deal with the immediate emergency. That is the only legal entitlement. Obviously a caring employer would work something out with you.

squaktheparrot Mon 16-Jun-14 17:06:58

Ok that's fine. Happy with unpaid leave. My Dad needs me there. I want to be with her too. Very very close.

chrome100 Mon 16-Jun-14 17:10:43

My employer is very understanding and would let you take this as compassionate leave but I know many that aren't.

Ask your employer. Most people would make every effort to ensure that you can visit your GP under the circs. Sometimes though people hang on for a long period of time so you will need to agree a return date, and stick with it or unfortunately you may not have a job to return to.

I am very sorry that you are in this position.This is one of those instances where it would be very nice to work for a large company who could manage easily without you for a few days thanks

jacks365 Mon 16-Jun-14 17:34:46

In this situation you are not entitled to the emergency leave as you are not responsible for the day to day care of your grandparent. Any decent employer would allow the leave but you are not automatically entitled to it.

Lauren83 Mon 16-Jun-14 17:39:04

Where I am they would have a days paid for the death and a days paid for the funeral for a close family member, anything over that would be holiday or unpaid leave

There has been instances where longer serving staff members have lost a parent and they were paid a full week at our discretion

I have never had anyone take anything more than 1 day for a grandparent (for the funeral)

Soggysandpit Mon 16-Jun-14 18:21:32

If my nanny asked for this I would agree but would have to be unpaid as I may need to take unpaid leave from work.

x2boys Mon 16-Jun-14 18:27:04

I work in the NHS its along time since NY grandparents died but iwas given compassionate leave on there day the died and the day of The funeral tbh most people go off so she said sick if somebody they are very close dies as they are no t fit to work.

x2boys Mon 16-Jun-14 18:28:32

Ah dh I phone keep s putting extra words and sentence in!

Fluffyears Mon 16-Jun-14 19:35:00

I was entitled to three days for my father passing away so
I went to dr and got a bereavement line. Annual leave would need to be taken for a grandparent.

WooWooOwl Mon 16-Jun-14 19:42:21

So sorry to hear you have been going through this. I have been in a very similar situation recently too.

I just took the time off work when I needed it. I didn't ask, and in don't know yet whether I will be paid for it or not, I didn't ask, but I don't think so.

We didn't have a lot of time, so I only ended up taking two days off and one for the funeral, and I was pretty useless at work tbh, but I have lovely colleagues that picked up the slack, as I would do and have done for them.

I think if I employed a nanny who needed time off in a situation like this I'd give it to them, I wouldn't want some one who wasn't emotionally capable looking after my children. But at the same time, I might not be able to afford to pay them and an emergency nanny simultaneously.

steff13 Mon 16-Jun-14 19:48:44

I think it depends on the employer. I would have to take personal leave to be off prior to the grandparent actually passing away, but I get three days of bereavement leave for a parent, grandparent, or great-grandparent, etc., once the person passes away. I'd be permitted to supplement that with vacation leave if necessary.

auldspinster Mon 16-Jun-14 21:31:46

I am a civil servant and we get discretionary special leave. I'm also a union rep and see it being applied inconsistently, might be worth speaking to a rep if you have one or HR.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now