ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

About going on this course?

(8 Posts)
startwig1982 Mon 16-Jun-14 14:37:41

Without too many details so it doesn't out me, there's a course coming up which my department are going on. I was told last week that a few people are not allowed to go for various rubbish reasons. My reason was that as I'm pregnant, I'll be on maternity leave next year. blush
I work as a teacher so anything on the course will be useful when I return. AIBU or are they discriminating against me?

Bardette Mon 16-Jun-14 14:50:04

That's outrageous and completely illegal.

SarcyMare Mon 16-Jun-14 14:56:23

anything you are taught on a course unless it is used quickly will be forgotten quite quickly.
So if you are due on maternity leave soon, almost everything on the course will be forgotten before you get back (i can't remember the estimated half life of training).
So although wrong understandable.

redskyatnight Mon 16-Jun-14 14:57:02

Are there limited numbers and they feel there will be an opportunity for you to take the course at a later date?

startwig1982 Mon 16-Jun-14 14:58:22

Nope not limited and also free. I don't have any lessons to cover that day either. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Xcountry Mon 16-Jun-14 14:59:23

Depends whats on the course and if they can prove that theres something in it that a pregnant woman shouldn't be involved in like manual handling etc then its not discriminating. We had one when I was pregnant with DD1 about sheep dip (I work in agriculture) and for obv reasons I wasn't allowed to attend.

SquidgyMaltLoaf Mon 16-Jun-14 14:59:33

Is it a standardisation course? Sounds daft that you can't go on it if you've got no lessons to cover!

startwig1982 Mon 16-Jun-14 15:03:37

It's a sharing ideas with other local departments course. No manual handling or dangerous chemicals.
It's very much, we do this, what do you do. And then time to think how we can apply useful things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now