to wonder whether the divorce rate peaks every 4 years?

(26 Posts)
ClockWatchingLady Sun 15-Jun-14 23:11:40

I'm considering dedicating 6 hours per day to repeats of Frazier for a whole month every 4 years. I shall ignore the washing up, eat my body weight in pringles, swear randomly at intervals and stay up really late for the hell of it.

AnyoneForTennis Sun 15-Jun-14 23:23:02

Why every 4 years? If you are trying to be judgey because it's the World Cup then why not say every 2 years and factor in the euros?

Or every year not long after Xmas....

ClockWatchingLady Sun 15-Jun-14 23:25:29

Ok 2 years.

Judgey?? confused

steppemum Sun 15-Jun-14 23:31:29

I am sick of the blanket football on tv and it is only day 4!

and dh is pretty good, but lounge and TV were booked friday for Holland and last night. We don't have another TV, so I end up on mn.

AnyoneForTennis Sun 15-Jun-14 23:33:20

What would you be watching otherwise steppe?

steppemum Sun 15-Jun-14 23:36:21

well, this evening, I would watch Antiques Roadshow and then whatever the 9pm drama is.
But bbc1 was wall to wall football.

steppemum Sun 15-Jun-14 23:39:00

I really don't mind dh watching it, as he is so easy going normally about TV, and he really is only going to watch the Dutch and English matches. But Sat, we struggled to find something to watch as a family as our normal stuff was all missing due to footie.

ClockWatchingLady Sun 15-Jun-14 23:39:27

I dream of the antiques road show grin

Never again, steppe, we're doomed to drool over Thierri Henri and ponder the off-side rule...

ClockWatchingLady Sun 15-Jun-14 23:41:09

Your DH sounds nice steppe.
My OH isn't bad either, except he regresses by 40 years whenever 22 men start chasing balls

WeddedBliss Sun 15-Jun-14 23:46:03

DH isn't really that into football. He'll watch it if it's on but doesn't make a special effort.

What he has done though is bought our two ds's one of the collectors sticker albums each. There are over 600 stickers to collect per book, we have 2 books and the stickers are 10p each. He's spent over £40 in the last three days buying stickers for himself ds's. And we're not even a quarter of the way there, we have lots of doubles.

I can't wait until it's over and they've lost interest.

crazykat Sun 15-Jun-14 23:54:21

It doesn't really bother me as I mostly watch cable channels. I'm not a huge footy fan but I don't hate it.

DH only really watches the England matches but will put other matches on if there's nothing else on.

Its a few weeks every four years. Wimbledon however drives me insane for two weeks every single year. I can't stand tennis.

crazykat Sun 15-Jun-14 23:56:44

Wedded I hear you about those bloomin stickers. I got fed up last time and just orderd half of them from the website. It works out a bit more per sticker but you only get the ones you need instead of ending up with 500 doubles/triples/quadruples.

TucsonGirl Mon 16-Jun-14 00:12:31

The people moaning about their usual programmes being "missing", they aren't missing, they just aren't scheduled. The World Cup has been on at this time of year every 4 years for the past god knows how many years.

Andrewofgg Mon 16-Jun-14 00:22:45

It certainly does peak in January as people find they really can't stand the sight of each other having been thrown on each others' company too much. Ask any divorce lawyer.

ClockWatchingLady Mon 16-Jun-14 07:49:42

Indeed, Andrew.
And Christmas etc involves far less shirking of responsibility & compulsive use of the word "formation".

U2TheEdge Mon 16-Jun-14 08:01:32

I am so glad my husband doesn't like football.

My children do, but they go upstairs to watch it. Although I will watch the England games with them and pretend get into it.

Floisme Mon 16-Jun-14 08:08:59

Exactly crazykat, Wimbledon. Two weeks, every single bloody year, drives me nuts.

Floisme Mon 16-Jun-14 08:16:01

Football, on the other hand, is great for my family. It brings my son down from his room and we all sit on the settee and have conversations smile

ClockWatchingLady Mon 16-Jun-14 09:56:25

That sounds lovely, Floisme smile, and very civilised, U2.

Sadly, in our house, conversation is but a distant dream...

MehsMum Mon 16-Jun-14 10:03:56

DH hates football
<dances in the street>
The World Cup is on
<keeps leaping for off-switch of radio yelling, 'Give me a break!'>

specialsubject Mon 16-Jun-14 11:13:11

thank goodness for a well-stuffed TV recorder box - four weeks to catch up on it all!

Floisme Mon 16-Jun-14 18:53:29

When my son was little he loved watching Thomas The Tank Engine and I used to watch it with him. Over and over and over again. Did I enjoy it? Hell sometimes I felt like chewing my own arm off. But what I did enjoy was spending quiet, snuggly times together.

Now he is a teenager and football fulfills exactly the same function. We chill, we talk about stuff and sometimes I even get a cuddle. I am delighted the world cup is on as we will get to see him almost every evening for the next month.

Ok I do like football and I realise a lot of you don't. But sometimes I also watch Top Gear with him - which I detest - for the same reason. It's not crystal meth. It's time together which is becoming increasingly rare and fleeting.

steppemum Mon 16-Jun-14 21:08:18

floisme - actually I am the same. I would never choose to watch a football match myself, but as a family I quite enjoy settling in to a good Holland match

(and ds has had me watching top gear, Storage Hunters and Dr Who, for the same reason as you)

kslatts Mon 16-Jun-14 21:13:52

I guess we are lucky that we both like football. DD's not as keen but will watch the England matches.

Floisme Mon 16-Jun-14 21:53:47

Ah Storage Hunters, that's another one grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now