to watch Mamma Mia

(28 Posts)
kim147 Sun 15-Jun-14 21:11:50

I know. Crap plot. Sexist and so many bad messages.

But....I love the music. And the scenery. Plus Pierce Brosnan trying to sing.

PerfectlyPosed Sun 15-Jun-14 21:17:44

Nope, I'm watching it and not ashamed! It's a feel good film and Pearce Brosnan trying to sing is particularly funny

Minimammoth Sun 15-Jun-14 21:18:16

You are NBU. Plonks on cushion and joins in.

No. It's Father's Day. You have to watch Pappa Pia.

kim147 Sun 15-Jun-14 21:18:44

I love ABBA. Always have.

Minimammoth Sun 15-Jun-14 21:23:02

Here come brosnan

PotOfYoghurt Sun 15-Jun-14 21:24:17

I love it, makes me want to go jump off a pier in Greece. Feel like I need a following of colourfully-dressed women though... Any takers?

kim147 Sun 15-Jun-14 21:25:22

I do like Pearce. Always a good Bond.

coffeeinbed Sun 15-Jun-14 21:25:33

I like watching it.
And I sing along.

annabelcaramel Sun 15-Jun-14 21:27:20

I love Abba. I love Piers Brosnan. I love crap films. I am totally tone deaf. I love Greece and all the islands. Yet, for some bizarre reason, I cannot get through this film. Even my Dad likes it, and he hates musicals, yet I have never managed to see it through. Odd.

kim147 Sun 15-Jun-14 21:28:52

I think DS and I need to go to Greece soon.

Does my memory serve me right in thinking that Colin Firth owes Pierce Brosnan a lifetime of lawn mowings for diverting attention from his fractionally less horrendous singing voice?

Ah Pierce, my mother still would, even after hearing you sing. grin

mumtobetothree Sun 15-Jun-14 22:01:29

I can't watch it, it's set in 2008, the daughter's 20, yet they're referring to the summer she was conceived and it's all 'flower power' and whatnot as though it's sixties! I know they had to write the film around the songs but I find myself ranting about this to anyone in the vicinity when it's on, it bugs me WAY too much, which is a shame, as it's the type of crap I usually love!

Marylou62 Mon 16-Jun-14 08:24:38

I love Mamma Mia! Can you tell me why it is sexist? Its a lovely story and as I lived/travelled the Greek Islands long ago (I spent a year there!) it brings back so many memories of my young days. I love the song sang by Mum when getting ready for the wedding....makes me cry everytime...I have a dear friend whos DD died when she was 8 and whilst so looking forward to my own DDs wedding day (Who also loves MM and we often watch together) I am always thinking of anyone who has lost a precious DD. Watch, weep, sing, blub, sing some more and enjoy. Still cant think what bit is sexist?

londonrach Mon 16-Jun-14 08:36:19

I love it. When both my grandparents died within days dh put the DVD on and it was the first time I stopped crying. The songs are so good, plot terrible but with that much eye candy and beautiful scenery who cares. I love the bit with the boys on the dock in their flippers, her on the boat with her three dads and slipping through my fingers. Dh and I had shit weekend and opened popcorn and just enjoyed it. It just lifts you...

Clawdy Mon 16-Jun-14 08:47:37

It's one of the few things DD and I both love and watch together. Saw it with her at our local cinema which was packed for once,mainly with women,all whooping and singing at the end,and as we walked home the streets were thronged with women!DD said it felt

Clawdy Mon 16-Jun-14 08:50:04

Can't remember which,but one northern comedian said "Never argue with a woman who's just watched Mamma Mia...."

Delphiniumsblue Mon 16-Jun-14 08:57:01

I love it! A real 'feel good' film.

tallulahturtle Mon 16-Jun-14 09:05:00

My DH put it on as after a terrible couple of days I requested a happy film.
Ive been involved in two car crashes . One on friday in my beloved car that ive had since i passed my test. Got a hire car from her insurance on Friday night as she admitted full liability (she came at me from my left when i was already on a roundabout).
Saturday I drove to the stables and back (i look after a friends horses in exchange for riding). The stables is literally a two minute drive.
Sunday morning drove to the stables , did the horses and pulled out the yard got onto the main road then went along for a bit and then signalled and slowed to take a right turn down a minor road, as i was waiting for a clear road to make the turn this chap came from the side turning and just ploughed into the side of me . He said he was looking left and right then left and right, didnt seem to have looked straight ahead though. He also admitted all liability and apologised profusely especially when he learnt that it was a hire car and the reason why i had the hire car!

Called the DH , as home was only round the corner as i didnt have any paper etc to get details as because this car was a hire car i had literally nothing in it.

Got home and absorbed everything for a moment and then went out with DH for a drive as although i felt paranoid that everyone was trying to kill me , being horsey when we fall off we get straight back on as if you dont you may lose your nerve so i wanted to get straight back out and drive. Especially i deliver wine and therefore drive for a living so didnt want me suddenly freaking out when back at work.

Anyway mamma mia made me happy for a bit and that cant be a bad thing smile. Now woken up to calls from so many different insurers , solicitors etc that i dont even know which accident they are referring too so have to ask :-/.

Might have to watch it later again as i sense today will be quite stressful. And isnt that the point of films, escapism? Even if the plot may be quite ridiculous smile

dietcokeandcadburys Mon 16-Jun-14 09:08:22

Ooh I love Mamma Mia!

moolady1977 Mon 16-Jun-14 09:15:43

ohhh i love mamma mia my sister once held a mamma mia party ,,,, lots of singing and giggles and paper pringles

Mrsjayy Mon 16-Jun-14 09:36:18

I like mamma mia no plot nice scenery and Julie Walters singing badly really whats not to like

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Mon 16-Jun-14 09:42:06

I don't think it's sexist actually - Ok it wouldn't pass the Bechdel test because in most of the scenes the women are talking about men, but the context of that (the girl is looking for her father, rather than a boyf) is OK I think. The women are all strong characters. Julie Walters isn't afraid to ask for what she wants (she would play me in the film of my life so have to declare a bias!). 'Does your mother know' is probably reverse-sexist though? But at least better than the original version of the song which was a touch groom-y.

I love it anyway.

Dubjackeen Mon 16-Jun-14 09:42:13

I like it too, must dig out the dvd, and watch tonight.

Mrsjayy Mon 16-Jun-14 09:45:34

Dd used to be obsessed with it so we used to watch the dvd every saturday afternoon for months I did get sick of it and not seen it in ages might have a dvd with her on SATURDAY mamma mia then hairspray

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now