ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

AIBU to think he's a cowardly arse?

(17 Posts)
Krustyandthekids Sun 15-Jun-14 17:03:01

DH has just been made redundant. By phone. On a Sunday. On Father's Day. I ANBU am I?!

PhaedraIsMyName Sun 15-Jun-14 17:09:46

Father's day is irrelevant. You can't make anyone redundant without a consultation process.

Gingermum Sun 15-Jun-14 18:30:56

That is unbelievably shit. I'm so sorry. And Phaedra is right - there has to be some sort of consultation process. Even if your DH had been fired for gross misconduct, there should be a process.

MehsMum Sun 15-Jun-14 19:29:55

shock By phone? On a Sunday?
I'm sure you can't do that.
Phone Citizens Advice first thing tomorrow.
Good luck.

I'm sure they can't actually do that. Does your DH have a contract or is he casual? Has the company gone bust?

TurnOverTheTv Sun 15-Jun-14 19:47:17

They can't possibly do that, no way. Is there a back story? Or is it some tiny company that think they don't have to do things properly?

Krustyandthekids Sun 15-Jun-14 19:52:20

It is a tiny company just with three of them and he has been unhappy there for a while and they have had lots of chats about him leaving but not actually about redundancy.

Gutted but it is for the best in the end. Just can't believe his boss has done it like this!

fascicle Sun 15-Jun-14 20:03:30

How long has he worked there? Even if he has less than 2 yrs service, he should be given the appropriate notice period.

Krustyandthekids Sun 15-Jun-14 21:00:00

7 years but I'm not sure he's going to fight!

Arion Sun 15-Jun-14 21:06:54

7 yrs is 7 weeks paid notice period with redundancy (they can make him work it). Get legal advice, might be worth reporting in legal or employment rights. Get what is due, it will give a bit of breathing space whilst he's looking for another position.

Krustyandthekids Sun 15-Jun-14 22:03:41

Thanks all. Will try to persuade him to follow it up.

foslady Sun 15-Jun-14 23:35:15

Ring ACAS in the morning - cannot just ring up and say 'You're redundant' after 7 years, there has to be a formal consultation process.

bitsnbobs14 Mon 16-Jun-14 00:02:55

That's awful, doesn't sound like they've followed correct procedure, mind. Hope you get something sorted soon

NotTheKitchenAgainPlease Mon 16-Jun-14 00:08:35

So sorry to hear this. Your poor DH. I agree, call ACAS in the morning. I'd even be inclined to go in - have they even put this in writing? thanks

Joysmum Mon 16-Jun-14 06:47:03

My DH was was told years ago that he'd be redundant after we went for promotion and somebody else in the company got it and then tried to get rid if the competition. DH was shell shocked, very upset and beaten...at first.

Then his fighting spirit came out. ACAS and then an employment solicitor with a free consultation persuaded him him had a 100% case and he fought it and won. Since then he's be promoted yet again.

Perfectlypurple Mon 16-Jun-14 07:07:18

If he is over 40 he is entitled to a week and a half for ever year he was over 40 when he worked there.

Acas has a very good redundancy page. Look through that and see what he is entitled to and how the process should happen.

fascicle Mon 16-Jun-14 09:26:29

If he's been there 7 years, then there is a process that should have been followed (including consultations and consideration of alternatives to redundancy etc - before the redundancy was confirmed). Your dh is entitled to the appropriate notice period, which he may/may not be required to work. In addition, he is entitled to a tax free lump sum, based on length of service, age and salary. See her for redundancy calculator:

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-redundancy-pay

As for your dh not putting up a fight - if he doesn't push for his legal entitlements, he could be thousands of pounds out of pocket.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now