AIBU to not tell DP the baby is tired?

(20 Posts)
fledermaus Sun 15-Jun-14 17:02:16

I am upstairs doing some work, DP is downstairs looking after the DC aged 4 years and 4 months.

The baby is grumbling and whinging. I know she is tired and needs a nap. It sounds pretty obvious to me (she has just been fed and changed).

I know the advice on Mumsnet generally is not to interfere when dad is doing childcare so as not to be nagging or undermining.

So, should I just close the door and let him work it out for himself, or should I go down and tell him to put the poor child to bed?

Littlefish Sun 15-Jun-14 17:03:02

Go down. Your child is miserable and needs sleep.

ICanHearYou Sun 15-Jun-14 17:03:28

No tell him 'I think the baby is tired' and then carry on with what you are doing. I always used to when the children were small.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sun 15-Jun-14 17:04:32

Id just say something nonchelant, like, "she might just fancy a little snooze"

fledermaus Sun 15-Jun-14 17:06:53

I'd have to go down especially to nonchalantly mention it though...

He knows when she last slept as well as we were out together.

slightlyglitterstained Sun 15-Jun-14 17:12:20

I don't think a mention in passing is necessarily undermining, esp as he may be distracted by 4 yr old. Waiting till baby is roaring, going down and snatching baby away & huffily saying well I suppose I'll have to put you to bed if Daddy won't - def undermining. grin

Do you not need a glass of water, biscuits, cup of tea?

CoffeeTea103 Sun 15-Jun-14 17:24:53

Why let your child be miserable for longer just because mn says so? confused

ChuffinEllAsLike Sun 15-Jun-14 17:26:47

Id go down.

Fuck MN, the baby needs you to step in.

sillymillyb Sun 15-Jun-14 17:30:44

Def step in - you can do it in a way that's not undermining him and your baby is the one who will suffer (well, and the rest of you too once they stop grumbling and really kick off grin)

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sun 15-Jun-14 17:38:38

Why would you not put the needs of your child first? The other parent has failed to notice something that you have. That's it - do something about it.

Find another childish way to punish the person you chose to have children with if you must but not using your child. Do you have some kind of 'tit for tat' system going on, OP? confused

Floggingmolly Sun 15-Jun-14 17:45:53

Don't be ridiculous hmm

PenguinsHatchedAnEgg Sun 15-Jun-14 17:54:53

Does he normally notice? For me it isn't as cut and dried as some other posters - I think a parent deserves the chance to learn to pick up on their child's signals, and that can be hard if the other is always issuing conclusions. I would probably mention it though.

WorraLiberty Sun 15-Jun-14 17:57:39

So, should I just close the door and let him work it out for himself, or should I go down and tell him to put the poor child to bed?

Neither

Just go down and tell him the baby sounds tired

fledermaus Sun 15-Jun-14 18:01:32

He doesn't really ever have the baby alone to have to be the one to notice Penguins - I always do.

JennyOnTheBlocks Sun 15-Jun-14 18:04:20

Is he still struggling with a grouchy child when you could easily help him out?

Seems a bit mean on everyone really

slightlyglitterstained Sun 15-Jun-14 19:00:07

See, him never having the baby alone long enough to ever notice does sound like more of a problem, esp as it's DC2. Did he never look after DC1 alone or is he just well out of practice?

Hope he's now figured it out & will be better next time.

fledermaus Sun 15-Jun-14 20:06:56

He never really looked after DC1 alone in the first few months either tbh.

I did go down after about 15 minutes as I could hear him desperately shaking toys in her face - casually mentioned that the baby had been awake for a couple of hours now and he did realise she was probably tired.

However, when I came down for dinner at half 6 I found he had done everything ALL WRONG and had let DC1 fall asleep on the sofa and had let DC2 have too long a nap angry

Obviously I told him he was a crap father and I'd never trust him to look after them again...

Panzee Sun 15-Jun-14 20:09:24

Erm... Is that sarcasm?

springbabydays Sun 15-Jun-14 20:11:46

In my experience blokes do not retain certain information so I would defo be putting baby first in this instance. Neither parent will be happy but that's their problem quite frankly.

harriet247 Sun 15-Jun-14 20:16:49

Not fathers day in your house then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now