to think she should have said something?

(143 Posts)
janesxx Sat 14-Jun-14 23:33:01

so I saw my friend in the street and stopped to talk briefly, while we were talking this little boy (about 5/6) came out of nowhere, ran up to my 1 year old son, grabbed his head with both hands and kissed him on the lips!!

I was totally in shock at the way he grabbed him, his mother then walked past and said "aw he loves babies" and carried on walking.. I wish I had have said something now.. AIBU to think she should have told him NOT to grab random babies and kiss them on the mouth!?

bearing in mind my son has an autoimmune diseases and is extremely vulnerable to getting ill off germs (he has to have everything sterilized still and therefore I dont even kiss him on the lips!)

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

TheReluctantCountess Sun 15-Jun-14 00:16:13

I agree; cover him if contact is such an issue.

mrssmith79 Sun 15-Jun-14 00:17:25

A boy of 5 that doesn't have impeccable social etiquette skills!? I don't believe it for a moment, it's unheard of shock

janesxx Sun 15-Jun-14 00:18:21

I never thaught id have to cover up his buggy because I never expected something like that to happen! I take all advice from his GP about how to protect him and not once did I think to cover up his buggy, especially in this heat

mrssmith79 Sun 15-Jun-14 00:19:34

Laurie it's not a button it's a thread to post 'concerns' on. Possibly in Site Stuff or Mumsnet Stuff.

Why didn't you say something to the child's mother yourself?

janesxx Sun 15-Jun-14 00:20:37

all of you who are criticizing ME for somereason need to take a step back because if you would have been in my exact pair of bloody shoes you would have wanted the mother to correct her son.

Nope, it's just you

Everyone else realised it's normal for 5 year olds to kiss babies without needing correction

janesxx Sun 15-Jun-14 00:22:51

hmm.. not really considering some commented saying otherwise

janesxx Sun 15-Jun-14 00:24:38

maybe if they know the baby but not random ones in the street, my son isn't even able to be vaccinated because of his condition maybe that child could have been poorly I wouldnt know!?

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

That's right

You wouldn't know what illnesses humans wandering the street had

Leaving the fact that you are responsible for keeping your own kid safe

So do that

janesxx Sun 15-Jun-14 00:27:09

you think that I made this up? haha okay.. and if your implying that im lying about my sons condition aswell then you need to sort it out because that is sick!

yellowrose2728 Sun 15-Jun-14 00:27:51

I'm sorry but -depending on the severity of the illness - I would have covered my baby. If he was in a pushchair, surely,you would have seen this child long before to be able to move? It doesn't take a lot to say, "sorry but ds is poorly" unless you had your back to the approaching child.

A small child has no way of knowing how ill your baby is, so the 'blame' would lie with you.

Yabu.

Bowlersarm Sun 15-Jun-14 00:29:11

Well OP, now you know that young children can be unpredictable you need to take steps to protect your son when you are out and about.

What condition ?

Why isn't he in a buggy?

Why isn't he covered?

You said the GP told you what precautions to take - what were they?

Why didn't they include precautions to take while moving about in normal life on the streets where people with illnesses live?

yellowrose2728 Sun 15-Jun-14 00:31:08

I'm assuming that such illness would cause you (or ds) to be under a consultant? Have you contacted them? What have they said in regards to this?

BoysiesBack Sun 15-Jun-14 00:31:43

My 12 year old would probably run up to a random baby and kiss them. Or a random child/man/woman/dog/worm... (He actually has kissed worms on many occasions smile)

He has very severe LDs and ASD, no understanding of social boundaries etc and is extremely affectionate to anyone and everyone.

I understand that your son's condition makes you worry, it would me too, but you appear to be more angry about the mum not reprimanding the kid rather than concerned for your son's health, which I think is why most other posters have been a bit hmm.

It happened, it's over, there's nothing to be done about it now. Shrug your shoulders and forget it.

janesxx Sun 15-Jun-14 00:34:19

the condition he has means that his immune system doesnt recognise the diference between foreign bacteria and normal body cells, meaning any time he gets the slightest bit of bacteria in his system his blood cells attack normal bodily tissue aswell as the foreign bacteria causing bleeding into the skin aswell as all his organs being attacked, it is called HSP and he WAS in a buggy not one health professional once told me to cover my buggy up!

sugaryonthesurface Sun 15-Jun-14 00:35:04

I do not think that if my child kissed a child in the same situation like that while the other childs mother was talking to someone,that I would make a big fuss of telling them off in front of you,especially if you didnt say or show any sign of being bothered. Yes I would probably say while walking away " we dont kiss people we dont know" I wouldnt be able to make the presumption that another child had any issue with their immune system by looking at them either so its not fair to judge the mother. The child was being nice and loving, the world needs a bit more niceness.

janesxx Sun 15-Jun-14 00:36:39

yes yellowrose he sees an immunologist and I would only have contacted him if he HAD a flair up because of this which he DIDNT but he COULD HAVE. the kissing wasnt even the main issue it was the way he grabbed his head and pulled him towards him anyways! !

janesxx Sun 15-Jun-14 00:38:05

I didnt want her to tell him off I was just thinking she should have told him not to do that! im only saying this because her saying aw he loves babies and smiling at him is more or less encouraging him!

MrsKCastle Sun 15-Jun-14 00:38:11

Bloody hell. OP, I'm not really sure why people are so accepting of this. I actually think the mother should have told the boy not to approach and kiss random strangers. He may only have been 5 or 6 but unless he has SEN he is old enough to know that you don't do that.

I wonder if the boy was actually younger than he looked- it does seem slightly bizarre for a 5 year old. But then if the mother only says 'aw that's sweet' then I guess he won't be taught appropriate boundaries.

Ok, well that means that it will clear up inside a month

So he should be taking precautions for that month and stay at home or be in places where he is covered.

janesxx Sun 15-Jun-14 00:41:26

THANKYOU MRSKCASTLE. I should have known not to post in this section where you just get picked apart and accused of lying about your son having a disease, all I was asking was she told him not to do that, BECAUSE some babies like mine do have problems which is a perfect example of why she should have told him no..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now