To post in here....iphone!!

(35 Posts)
Bubblensqueak123 Sat 14-Jun-14 22:05:10

Hi, sorry but don't know where this should be posted so I might be unreasonable posting here! I have a new iphone and I have dropped it in water! I'm so gutted as it was my last maternity pay packet indulgence and I'm so careful with them but was juggling baby and phone and it went in a bowl of water. I didn't know not to switch it on and did so to test it was working ok... Also tried to make a call. I've put it in a bowl of rice now to dry it out but am looking for some reassurance from anyone else who switched there's on and off, made a call etc that it worked. I won't know if mines ok for another 48 hours or so. Please don't judge me in any posts though as I know in the grand scheme of things this isn't a big deal at all but it's on my already sleep-deprived mind and I'm struggling to keep it in perspective!! Any nice tries will be much appreciated thx xxx

Bubblensqueak123 Sat 14-Jun-14 22:06:29

Should've said I since found out that the worst thing you can do is switch it on straight away. I'm so sad now!! Only as can't afford for it to be broken.

YummyKiwis Sat 14-Jun-14 22:07:25

iPhone will be fine, I've seen plenty get water damaged and survive.

mygrandchildrenrock Sat 14-Jun-14 22:11:04

My daughter dropped hers in the bath, we put it in a bag of rice in the airing cupboard for 2 weeks and it didn't work! I found out I had mobile phone insurance with our bank account (I had checked and we weren't covered on the house insurance). I had to pay a £50 excess, sent the phone off and within 3 days it was back and like new.

LoveBeingInTheSun Sat 14-Jun-14 22:12:53

Just don't touch it for a week or two

YummyKiwis Sat 14-Jun-14 22:14:29

Bubble is your phone on contract?

Bubblensqueak123 Sat 14-Jun-14 22:24:07

Thanks guys! It is on contract with EE. I've read to try it in 24-48 hours as it should've dried out. It was working but the ringing sounded distorted. I bank with HSBC and have one of those advance accounts that you get free stuff with like hol ins. Don't know if it'd cover phone though. Xx

Bubblensqueak123 Sat 14-Jun-14 22:26:13

I think switching it on to see if it worked was the worst thing though. Anyone else done that and it worked later?

donkir Sat 14-Jun-14 22:29:34

Mine went in the loo a few weeks back. The sound went on it but everything else worked I switched it off put in rice for a day and touch wood everything is now working fine. I do pay extra for insurance though so would be covered anyway.

ItsGotCocaineInIt Sat 14-Jun-14 22:30:23

Mine went down the toilet, like you I hadn't heard the "don't switch it back on" thing and I switched on and off twice. The screen had filled up with water and there was nothing on the display. I googled then popped it in a sealed bag with rice, left it in hot cupboard for 2 days (heard Siri chatting away on it a few times!)
Good as new! I'm posting on it now and it happened about 3 months ago.
The fact that you dropped it in plain water is good news, no chemicals etc.
I also heard that you should stockpile those little silca sachets that come with new shoes as they are ideal to use in the bag with the rice, I'm saving mine up now for future emergencies!

YummyKiwis Sat 14-Jun-14 22:30:41

Bubble call up EE as soon as you can and ask for clone phone it's £10 a month. This will cover you from theft and accidental damage.

My phone hasn't been water damaged but my friends fell in the bath and it still worked.

MushroomSoup Sat 14-Jun-14 22:31:01

Have dropped mine in water loads of times! Has dried out fine. Fingers crossed!

Bubblensqueak123 Sat 14-Jun-14 22:35:42

Ah thanks so much guys. I feel a bit better and will keep it in the rice and see how it goes. I really appreciate your replies. I am really stressed out at the moment as there are lots of things going on. I haven't admitted it to myself but this has got me so worked up that it's made me realise I need to chill. I should've just giggled too and if it was broken just got on with it! I did at least have rice in as I bought it for the baby this week. Phew! Silica gel is a good idea too xx

lana88 Sat 14-Jun-14 22:38:56

I dropped mine in water once and it was completely submerged for a few seconds. Tried to put it on and the screen was all weird (then read you shouldn't so was anxious!) Put it in a container covered in rice, stored it in a warm place like the airing cupboard. A few days later, it worked as if nothing had happened. Was so relieved.

Bubblensqueak123 Sat 14-Jun-14 22:40:32

Ok thank you! Fingers crossed as I could really do with it staying alive!! Good to know that some of yours went weird initially and then repaired themselves! Xx

pinkstinks Sat 14-Jun-14 23:58:26

Literally just dropped mine in the loo....
Seems to be working ok, it didn't switch itself off so I have just left it on.... Is this right ?

ICanHearYou Sun 15-Jun-14 00:00:12

Mine got smashed and dipped repeatedly in a dirty puddle by the baby, my ex husband replaced the battery and the screen and it works again! You need to leave it to dry out for ages though, a few weeks

pinkstinks Sun 15-Jun-14 00:03:34

And I'm using it to mn so it can't be too broken....

dietcokeandcadburys Sun 15-Jun-14 00:09:02

Rice is good, but if you can use silica gel. It's that stuff they put in electrical packaging in the little sachets to dry it out if it gets wet. Much more absorbent and suited to the job.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 15-Jun-14 00:14:27

Dropped in water, dried in rice for 7 days, but sadly as dead as a dodo. Claimed on Ouse insurance thy paid out.

Beavie Sun 15-Jun-14 00:49:31

Put it in a Tupperware or other airtight box in rice, not a bowl.

I dropped mine in the bath and did the rice trick, and it was fine, although the ringtone sounded a bit different afterwards.

mygrandchildrenrock Sun 15-Jun-14 12:03:55

I'm amazed so many of your iphones worked after being dropped in water, I wish ours had.

Ruhrpott Sun 15-Jun-14 12:09:06

Apple will replace a broken iPhone for a new one for £200. It's a lot but not as much as another new phone.

Aradia Sun 15-Jun-14 12:15:50

I dropped mine in a cup of tea! It survived but I had to leave it to dry for about a week and resisted the urge to turn it on till it was completely dry.

It didn't fare so well when I then dropped it down the toilet, mind. That killed it...

mimiasovitch Sun 15-Jun-14 12:19:55

I've heard cat litter is excellent for this - more absorbent than rice. Hope it works out for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now