To wear pyjamas in the garden?

(26 Posts)
longestlurkerever Sat 14-Jun-14 10:45:01

Sometimes dd and I have breakfast or play for a bit in the garden before getting dressed. I realise this is a bit slovenly, but is it borderline acceptable or a bit odd? It's the back garden but a terraced house so not exactly private.

On a similar note, what about fetching things in from the car parked in the street or putting the bins out in pyjamas? Is this beyond the pale?

usualsuspectt Sat 14-Jun-14 10:46:33

It's fine.

I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Sat 14-Jun-14 10:49:51

I think it's fine we do the same.. But I have been known to go to the shop in pyjamas so prob not qualified to comment.. blush

Perfectly acceptable, I have been known to do a spot of breakfast time garden weeding in my dressing gown smile

MissCalamity Sat 14-Jun-14 10:52:24

I do this, especially hanging out the washing in my nightie but I'd definitely wrap my dressing gown tightly around me to get something from the car or to bring a bin back onto my drive.

Wish my next door neighbour would do this, as she comes out wearing the smallest white slip ever and always seems to have to do something that involves bending over - urgh!!

WeddedBliss Sat 14-Jun-14 10:53:02

I've just come in from the garden in PJs, went to hang the washing out.

I also nip out to the car in PJs (at an acceptable time...don't think I would at 4pm when the street is busy).

I've never given it a thought.

MamaMumra Sat 14-Jun-14 10:53:09

YANBU - My PJs are quite fetching though and I make sure I'm wearing a bra smile

Nocomet Sat 14-Jun-14 11:01:40

It's been known. Although I do tend to throwing on plain grey not obviously PJ bottoms. Elderly and young male neighbours. Neither really need to see me obviously in night wear.

Doesn't bother the DDs who happily trampoline in onsies in full view of three other houses.

longestlurkerever Sat 14-Jun-14 11:03:39

Ah good. Thank you mumsnet!

Singlesuzie Sat 14-Jun-14 11:03:44

Yanbu. My house is the same, terraced so not private and i do it. A lot of my neighbours do to so i dont feel judged.

CoffeeTea103 Sat 14-Jun-14 11:25:56

If everyone said yabu, would you really change this just to have the approval of others. hmm

I an sat in the garden in PJs at the moment with a coffee and the paper. Will go for a shower soon though.

paxtecum Sat 14-Jun-14 12:21:11

One of the joys of having a garden or back yard (called a terrace by estate agents) is being able to sit outside having the first tea of the day minutes after getting out of bed whilst wearing pjs.

MiaowTheCat Sat 14-Jun-14 12:33:53

One of our neighbours is out regularly doing his front garden in his PJs... also most of the DIY jobs for the entire street in them - thankfully we all know he does this or him leaving by our back door in his PJs could probably start some rumours!

VitoCorleone Sat 14-Jun-14 12:35:54

I'm still in my pyjamas and have just hung some washing out

Nanageddon100 Sat 14-Jun-14 13:04:18

Totally fine. I keep my horse at home and have ridden in my pjs. Often do housework in them and am back in clean pjs at about 6 pm. Dont leave home in them though.

x2boys Sat 14-Jun-14 13:09:04

I think its fine I think the lady I saw strolling down the street to the petrol station at about nine thirty in the morning in pajamas dressing gown and slippers yesterday was a bit much it was a very busy main road .

5madthings Sat 14-Jun-14 13:12:25

I am Sat in the garden in my pjs at the moment!

Have just blitzed the kitchen and am going to do the bathroom next and then have shower.

magpiegin Sat 14-Jun-14 14:27:18

Wouldn't give it a second thought. We live in flats and I go and put the bins out or check the post in my pajamas. Don't care what others think

Kerryp Sat 14-Jun-14 14:33:07

I wouldn't give a hoot. I'm in mine out in garden all the time. It's not uncommon to see people nip to shop in theirs here, though I've only done it if it's past 10pm and I'm only going to garage (less than 5 mins from house) x

chocolatemademefat Sat 14-Jun-14 14:38:10

Nanageddon Does your horse have it's own room? Is it neigh bother getting it indoors?

longestlurkerever Sat 14-Jun-14 14:43:35

No, I probably wouldn't, coffeehouse, in all honesty, but it might affect whether I engaged in conversation with neighbours over the fence whilst wearing them. Have never seen them in pjs, and haven't had a garden long, so wondered if I was breaching any etiquette that would make me the talk of the street!

Horse is probably envy of the 'neigh'bourhood.

littlewhitebag Sat 14-Jun-14 14:45:34

I sat in the garden in my pyjamas this morning for ages. Nothing nicer than not having to rush to get dressed.

My next-door neighbour regularly mows her lawn in her nightie, and we only have front gardens with an access path running right through the middle.

superbagpuss Sat 14-Jun-14 15:00:06

early in the morning/ later at night yes

I often hang the washing out in my dressing gown, completely over looked garden but it's not like there is anything on show grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now