Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

To think this is very unfair and find it very sad?

(6 Posts)
WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Fri 13-Jun-14 19:05:42

Someone I know is a teacher in state secondary school, she has recently started in a local secondary school and has said that they punish the clever but disruptive children from the top sets by sending them to the bottom sets each time they are disruptive.

So the kids who do want to learn but have sen or simply struggle are having their learning disrupted constantly by the children who do not want to learn.
She said the bottom sets were horrendous as a result and that parents would be shocked if they knew what their children had to put up with.

AIBU to feel quite cross about this?

cardibach Fri 13-Jun-14 19:13:19

That is a really crap message to send - that it is a punishment to be in a bottom set. However, my experience of bottom sets is that they manage to be fairly disruptive on their own, and whenever I have 'taken in' a disruptive child in an emergency (so not a planned 'punishment' but just if tempers are getting frayed) they have been very subdued at being out of their own environment, if you like. I find it hard to believe they would carry on disrupting or that, if they did, this crap punishment would continue to be used.

WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Fri 13-Jun-14 19:17:45

"that it is a punishment to be in a bottom set."

It is this bit which is annoying me tbh. Surely if you just want to remove a child from a situation to calm down you send them to ANY other set not just the bottom set.

I have a quiet well behaved child who is likely to be in the lower sets because of learning needs but who wants to learn and tbh I am dreading secondary sad although she will not be at this school.

DeWee Fri 13-Jun-14 19:18:57

In several schools I've been in they have a policy of sending to the head of the subject (or the most senior) if there's a disruptive pupil. In some schools the head with take a disproportionally large number of the bottom sets. Could it actually be that rather than a deliberately "to the bottom set"?

WaffleWiffle Fri 13-Jun-14 19:22:36

I was wondering something similar to DeWee. I know of schools who have 'teaching pairs' - that effectively means an agreement that if a child in one teachers class need time out, they go to the pair's classroom. And vice versa.

MiniatureRailway Fri 13-Jun-14 19:34:40

This used to happen in my school and also in reverse, so the set 5 children would be sent to sit at the back of the set 1 class if they were being disruptive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now