Shit diet or ok?

(47 Posts)
EddieStobbart Fri 13-Jun-14 18:39:54

Breakfast - Big bowl of porridge made with jumbo and normal oat flakes plus pinhead oatmeal and flaxseed with Brazil nut mix and a few raisins. A cup of milk.

Lunch - Brie and aubergine quiche and salad. Didn't eat the pastry. Two cappuccinos.

Snacks - Half small bar of 85% sugar chocolate (about 15g). Two oatcakes and cheese

Tea - Vegetable curry plus salad.
Greek yoghurt and chopped fruit plus more flaxseed mix

2 glasses wine

Too much fat or ok?

paxtecum Fri 13-Jun-14 18:42:47

Any other drinks?

MegBusset Fri 13-Jun-14 18:45:32

Sounds delicious smile why do you ask? I guess portion sizes could be an issue if you 're trying to lose weight (true of anything though)

How big are the glasses of wine?

fatlazymummy Fri 13-Jun-14 18:45:51

Sounds ok to me.
I don't understand why you use different types of oats to make porridge though.

defineme Fri 13-Jun-14 18:47:14

Well you had cheese twice, but assume there wasn't much brie in the quiche . Women need lots of calcium despite what the dairy haters say. I assume you've having some water or something too. Lots of veg. I would like to have eaten that today.

I'd say generally pretty good - but what are you aiming for? It would be better with more protein and more veg (depending on what is in your salad) but its largely unprocessed food, nothing low-fat or sugar heavy. Fat is fine and I wouldn't worry about the wine if its not every night.

Tweasels Fri 13-Jun-14 18:49:14

confused

What are you after? A round of applause?

I don't get it.

EddieStobbart Fri 13-Jun-14 18:49:31

FLM, love pinhead oatmeal but always forget to soak it . Like mix of jumbo and normal oat flakes. Am a bit obsessive about porridge really!

Wine - will prob = around half a bottle, maybe not that much

ICanHearYou Fri 13-Jun-14 18:51:14

Makes a nice change from the 'I've eaten three cherry tomatoes and a diet coke' threads

Especially the ones explaining all the low fat stuff they give their kids.

I say this as a woman trying to lose weight

EddieStobbart Fri 13-Jun-14 18:53:05

Yes. I'm after a round of applause. Obviously I'm the dogs.

Or something.

luridshorts Fri 13-Jun-14 18:55:56

85% sugar chocolate

shock

EddieStobbart Fri 13-Jun-14 18:57:52

I'm interested in views as I was reading the kids breakfast thread and was struck how wide the opinions are. My friend has has a big diet conversion and has dropped her sugar intake drastically. She's convinced me to a large degree but I sometimes feel like forgetting about saturated fat can't be the right thing to do after years of paying attention to it.

EddieStobbart Fri 13-Jun-14 18:58:35

Moser rosh. Lindt 90% is lush. Honest.

luridshorts Fri 13-Jun-14 19:01:30

85%/90% cocoa solids though right? Not sugar?

luridshorts Fri 13-Jun-14 19:02:30

Google "saturated fat latest research" - the jury's out on it.

paxtecum Fri 13-Jun-14 19:04:17

Did you drink any other fluids, like water?

CoffeeTea103 Fri 13-Jun-14 19:05:44

This doesn't sound like something long term more like a fad. Rather try to have a healthy lifestyle overall with moderation rather than go all ott and binging in a week or two.

redshifter Fri 13-Jun-14 19:09:23

Sounds fine to me unless you have thensame amountnof alcohol every night.

EddieStobbart Fri 13-Jun-14 19:13:09

I've been doing this for a few months so not binging unless you count strawberries and lots of cream. Previously I would have felt like this was really porky but now I think it's healthy. Though previously I would have had a bowl of wholemeal pasta and a strawberry yoghurt and think that was healthier.

90% cocoa. The Lindt stuff has under 10% sugar per 100%.

EddieStobbart Fri 13-Jun-14 19:13:50

Too old to drink every night.

specialsubject Fri 13-Jun-14 19:14:28

not bad but could do with more complex carbs.

WorraLiberty Fri 13-Jun-14 19:16:04

If people cut down portion sizes, stopped snacking so much and did more exercise, I think most people could eat whatever they want in moderation and still stay healthy.

Reading MN, it seems food has never been more complicated than it is nowadays.

Tweasels Fri 13-Jun-14 19:20:49

Sorry for sounding harsh, I think I've got MN competitive diet brain. Every other thread seems to be people making uneducated ridiculous judgements on how people feed themselves/their children.

To me that sounds obviously very healthy and I (wrongly) jumped to the conclusion it was some smuggery. Apologies.

EddieStobbart Fri 13-Jun-14 19:29:58

Tweasel, I know what you mean. I'm not a food fad person and I've never been on a diet in my life but on the one hand I think the low sugar/carb view makes sense but for years would have picked up a "go ahead" bar or the like if I wanted to be healthy and that idea is still in the back of my mind.

EddieStobbart Fri 13-Jun-14 19:32:33

And I cringe at the "my children only eat toasted mung beans and hummus" assertions. Really? Good for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now