Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

To not be sure what farmers wear?

(71 Posts)
Minicooper Fri 13-Jun-14 17:31:37

Dd1 is in Year 1 and next week they have to go in dressed as a farmer.... To me, that would be old clothes and wellies. Except that its hot and jeans, wellies and a jumper don't seem appropriate! Any ideas?!

softlysoftly Sun 15-Jun-14 23:09:11

Please please please send her in with a green willy and innocently say "well mumsnet says...."

TSSDNCOP Sun 15-Jun-14 23:00:20

When I worked on a farm I wore cut-offs, a bikini top and rugby socks with docs.

Lots of stuff is prickly and brings your legs up in bumps.

Minicooper Sun 15-Jun-14 22:03:25

Flat cap - obviously hmm

Minicooper Sun 15-Jun-14 22:02:32

Ha ha - this has made me laugh so much! Thought it had died down and missed that I had inspired a baler twine discussion! (So proud!)

MardyBra, its in AIBU because I wanted answers - right choice as I got them!

So - so far she needs old trousers held up with baler twine, checked shirt with corn sticking out of the pocket, flat fat and a green willy. Is that everything? grin

ComposHat Sat 14-Jun-14 10:17:26

What no smocks?

MardyBra Sat 14-Jun-14 10:13:14

Why is this in Aibu?

EBearhug Sat 14-Jun-14 10:11:54

If it can't be fixed with baler twine and/or lasso/duct tape, then it's probably not worth bothering with anyway.

NinjaLeprechaun Sat 14-Jun-14 09:53:34

It is also acceptable to use it to fix various pieces of agricultural machinary and accessories round these parts
But you can't use baling twine to fix the bits that hot up, or it catches fire. Voice of experience.
My ex once 'temporarily' fixed an exhaust pipe with a bean tin and hose clamps. It lasted two years. [impressed emoticon]

FrancesNiadova Sat 14-Jun-14 09:37:17

String for a belt, that's what our neighbour wears, & a checked shirt!

UniS Sat 14-Jun-14 09:33:49

The wellies can be black if they are steel toecapped.

Quangle Sat 14-Jun-14 09:23:32

eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=458079

This is what farmers look like. Everyone knows that.

Disclaimer: townie

BlackeyedSusan Sat 14-Jun-14 09:23:11

ahh I see that farmers have the same attitude to baler twine as I have to duct tape!

(hides table held together with duct tape. and flip flops, ds's ot was too after it had done dd, and him and he was two and a half and still falling out of bed. and blowed if I was going to buy something new until he had stopped biting dd in the mornings and it was all that would fit in my room. )

magoria Sat 14-Jun-14 09:18:44

Can you not stick him in one of those thin white suits they wear for non contamination, a face mask and say it is an opium, cannabis or cocaine farm?

softlysoftly Sat 14-Jun-14 09:15:44

With some of the young farmers behaviour I'm quite sure a lot of the willies were green grin

Agree the tan is all important, especially the "one brown arm I've been combining" look.

Oh and a slightly glazed over dribbly expression when a sudden pocket full of cash combines with a shiny new bit of tractor equipment toy is on display.

frumpet Sat 14-Jun-14 07:41:26

Most of the fencing where i keep my horse is held together with bits of bailer twine and i once spent a merry hour ( waiting for the blacksmith) fingerknitting the stuff into a leadrope . It is also acceptable to use it to fix various pieces of agricultural machinary and accessories round these parts grin

Ladyflip Sat 14-Jun-14 07:39:53

In summer DH sports Dickies shorts and T shirt complete with holes made when welding something together and some muck. Add in a hat (must have agricultural logo and have been free from some event e.g. Grassland and muck show).

In winter, Dickies trousers, t shirt, warm green tattersalls shirt and maybe jumper. Extra cold means long johns underneath. Can you tell we live by the dickies factory shop?

Add overalls for milking. And wellies.

And always what we call the green badge I.e.a little splash of muck behind an ear or somewhere which occasionally seems to miss the showering process.

The t shirt tan is also compulsory. Along with the three layered leg tan. Between knee and wellie line is deep brown, then to ankle a slightly lighter brown, the foot is pure white.

NinjaLeprechaun Sat 14-Jun-14 05:02:15

There seems to be a lot of talk around here about farmers' willies. hmm

The thing I love about this thread is that I live in a completely different country, on an entirely different continent, and I recognize the uniform. Probably a bit less tweed though. Also, a special mention to baling wire, which can be used to fix cars and actual tractors. But isn't terribly good for cows.

SarcyMare Sat 14-Jun-14 03:56:40

My oh is a farmers son, and it took me years to get him to throw old clothes away because "it'll do for farm work" is the answer

whojamaflip Sat 14-Jun-14 03:38:38

Dh is in shorts and t shirt with cut off sleeves and steel toe cap work boots. Boiler suit over the top to do milking. Winter same except its jeans and a padded checked shirt over the top. Oh and grubby baseball cap at all times! Unless its raining and them its an ancient cowboy hat!

Me its denim cutoffs with a singlet top and overalls - it's too farking hot for anything else!

Yy to the baler twine - pockets full of grain, straw and unidentifiable bits are also mandatory and responsible for the death of many a washing machine

BadLad Sat 14-Jun-14 03:37:06

Why not do a google picture search for "farmer"?

BasketzatDawn Sat 14-Jun-14 02:28:05

Oh no. I know nothing about the willies. Maybe they are green too. The wellies. <time I went to bed to rest my middle-aged eyes>.

BasketzatDawn Sat 14-Jun-14 02:25:59

The willies have to be green. grin

liquidstatehasrisenagain Sat 14-Jun-14 02:18:31

Tatty combats or tatty shorts and tatty t shirt with steel toe cap boots. In winter a tatty fleece. On top of this a John Deere overall. It HAS to be john deere... plus ripped waterproof coat if cold and wet.

CoolCat2014 Fri 13-Jun-14 23:00:50

Knowing a lot of farmers, they mostly wear jeans, wellies, and a shirt, and green overalls for when they are actually farming.

www.xxl-sale.co.uk/search/?q=John%20Deere%20Overalls&campid=5337249842

ReggieJones Fri 13-Jun-14 22:55:14

I've got a brand new combine harvester
And I'll give you the key

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now