To not be sure what farmers wear?

(71 Posts)
Minicooper Fri 13-Jun-14 17:31:37

Dd1 is in Year 1 and next week they have to go in dressed as a farmer.... To me, that would be old clothes and wellies. Except that its hot and jeans, wellies and a jumper don't seem appropriate! Any ideas?!

softlysoftly Fri 13-Jun-14 21:33:51

The young farmers I used to know ventured out in summer in just their denim shorts and willies <<sigh>> good times people good times.

Sadly so did some of the old boys.

MehsMum Fri 13-Jun-14 21:52:37

TheScottishPlay: glad to have made your evening.

Westmoreland: I have noticed that there is a lot less baler lying about in gateways etc now that bales have largely gone the way of the dodo and hay and straw are swirled into those great big rolls. I know they still use baler, twine but it obviously doesn't fall off the way it once did. Used to be great for emergency dog leads.

OP: Never had to kit a kid out as a farmer, but had plenty of practice at conjuring Gretel, Boudicca, Roman, Greek, Viking etc out of the dressing-up box and the drawers at a few days' notice.

Eve Fri 13-Jun-14 21:57:24

She needs a farmer tan, nut brown face and midway up arms, pale white everywhere else.

Eve Fri 13-Jun-14 21:58:37

Ref baler twine, my DS has some in his school blazer pocket, as you never know when he might need it!

Young farmers have a lot to answer for!

wigglybeezer Fri 13-Jun-14 22:00:04

Freudian slip there Softly!

ThursdayLast Fri 13-Jun-14 22:03:33

*"Put that Baler Twine back in your Pocket son, this Gate is beyond fixing".

.... Said no Farmer. Ever.*

Love this. So incredibly true.

yeah.... why are they making them dress as farmers?

ThursdayLast Fri 13-Jun-14 22:05:12

softly gringringrin

I always click on any thread that says farming in the title.
Usually they make me mad, but this one is fabbo!

Iseecows Fri 13-Jun-14 22:08:46

Overalls and wellies, that's what I wear everyday. If it's hot (like today) I wear a vest top underneath and tie my sleeves around my waist.

thenightsky Fri 13-Jun-14 22:11:20

If you are in Yorkshire then all belts (coats and trousers) must be bailing band string.

EBearhug Fri 13-Jun-14 22:12:24

My father wore cord trousers, shirt and jumper with an old coat over the top in winter - with a hat. Always wellies.

In summer it was often just denim shorts and sandals or wellies. I think he did have some short-sleeved shirts as well, but on a day like today, it would have just been shorts and sandals or wellies.

And a dust mask if he was doing something in the depths of the grain dryer.

ThursdayLast yes we do seem to keep meeting on these farming threads grin

Thursday and Westmorland educating the non farming public one mumsnet post at a time

EBearhug Fri 13-Jun-14 22:15:42

all belts (coats and trousers) must be bailing band string.

On my father's coffin, we put a sheaf (he died right at the start of harvest) and tied it with baler twine.

WitchWay Fri 13-Jun-14 22:20:00

I can't believe no-one has said they wear a smock with a straw hat - surely all farmers wear those?

Allthequeenshorses Fri 13-Jun-14 22:22:26

My dh is a farmer, i work elsewhere but also farmers wife. He wears shorts and singlet or cut off sleeve t shirt, every single day of the year. Only other attire being a kilt. He wears john deere dungarees over shorts if it's a winters day and very very occasionally a red checked jacket. If the jacket comes out we are talking ten foot of snow or torrential rain. I frequently complain about his bizarre body temperature and it is now fondly known valley wide that he has a "dicky thermo". He to wears crocs but generally rocks rugby socks and work boots. Height of fashion, my dsil has no choice but to allow dn to dress identically. Hero worship.
Oh dear.

Allthequeenshorses Fri 13-Jun-14 22:22:53

Oh yes, with a cowboy hat at all times.

ThursdayLast Fri 13-Jun-14 22:26:10

Trying, always trying Westmorland!

stealthsquiggle Fri 13-Jun-14 22:33:28

T shirts (or rugby shirts), shorts and crocs also standard wear amongst farmers doing school runs round here.

Other than that jeans and boots and t shirt. But either way you need to roll her in mud until it is really deeply ingrained in all clothing - none of your superficial splashes of mud.

Why exactly are they dressing as farmers, or did I miss that?

softlysoftly Fri 13-Jun-14 22:33:52

Argh wellies WELLIES!

UniS Fri 13-Jun-14 22:36:20

Saw a few farmers dropping their kids off at school today. A variety of looks you could go for.
a- wellies, jeans, rugby shirt.
b- sandals shorts vest top ( I think she may wear a boiler suit at work, or maybe was going to be tractor driving all day.)
c- walking boots, leggings and a t-shirt ( another female farmer).
d work boots, jeans, holey t-shirt. This one has a special wool lambing smock that he wears only in lambing season when hes been up all night.... He also owns a john deere bolier suit to go with his JD tractor.

QuietTiger Fri 13-Jun-14 22:40:29

My DH wears polo shirts, jeans and either a sweater or a fleece, as well as wellies or walking boots, depending on whether he is on the tractor or not. He's also welded to his baseball cap. Like others, he also likes crocs, but not in the yards. You won't go far wrong with a polo shirt, jeans and boots.

ReggieJones Fri 13-Jun-14 22:55:14

I've got a brand new combine harvester
And I'll give you the key

CoolCat2014 Fri 13-Jun-14 23:00:50

Knowing a lot of farmers, they mostly wear jeans, wellies, and a shirt, and green overalls for when they are actually farming.

liquidstatehasrisenagain Sat 14-Jun-14 02:18:31

Tatty combats or tatty shorts and tatty t shirt with steel toe cap boots. In winter a tatty fleece. On top of this a John Deere overall. It HAS to be john deere... plus ripped waterproof coat if cold and wet.

BasketzatDawn Sat 14-Jun-14 02:25:59

The willies have to be green. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now