in not seeing the reason for needing Doctors name and phone number on children's trip forms

(51 Posts)
seventyfive Fri 13-Jun-14 14:32:03

Its just a little thing, but why do schools/children's clubs ask for the name of a child's doctor on medical forms for (day) trips?
I seem to fill this info out all the time but wonder what circumstance would lead them to use that info?

MrsLettuce Fri 13-Jun-14 14:33:47

An accident requiring A&E would, one would assume.

Lilaclily Fri 13-Jun-14 14:34:13

If you needed to know the child's blood type or immunisations quickly ?

Fluffyears Fri 13-Jun-14 14:35:13

When you go to a&e they need your dr's details. Probably to access medical records if needs and update your GP of any treatment required. So if a child has an accident needing an a&e trip they will require this information.

SavoyCabbage Fri 13-Jun-14 14:35:14

So they can find out their medical details in an emergency.

phantomnamechanger Fri 13-Jun-14 14:36:03

so that in the event of any emergency treatment, they can very quickly access the childs full medical history details when they last had any medication/injections, any allergic reactions etc etc

seventyfive Fri 13-Jun-14 14:36:32

The NHS number (which is also required) is more useful then, than phoning the surgery?

BugaAB00 Fri 13-Jun-14 14:36:42

Presumably because if the child required emergency admission to hospital, the GP's contact details will be the only way for hospital staff to get a medical, drug and allergy history if the parents aren't there.

TheBogQueen Fri 13-Jun-14 14:38:14

Hmm well in ooh we always confirm dr details and automatically let dr know what happened. We have an emergency care summary from the GP available we we access and confirming GP details is another way if enduring we gave the right medical details.

At A&E they will also ask fur GP details - am not a medic though do don't know if clinicians may contact GP by phone sometimes

BugaAB00 Fri 13-Jun-14 14:38:33

NHS number won't help. Medical notes are held as hard copies, not electronic.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Fri 13-Jun-14 14:39:07

Most people wouldn't have even had their blood type checked. It's not a routine test. And they certainly wouldn't phone a GP for it, if you have an accident they would check it again or give you the universal blood if you needed a transfusion.

I can't see the point of naming a doctor, I have no idea who mine is. Unless it's to send letters to, or to inform the a&be dept.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Fri 13-Jun-14 14:40:32

A&E that was meant to say. We always send a discharge letter to the GP when a child goes home.

BugaAB00 Fri 13-Jun-14 14:41:55

Naming a specific doctor probably unnecessary. Naming the surgery and providing a phone number would be more helpful.

fredfredgeorgejnr Fri 13-Jun-14 14:42:51

It's where the records get send from the A&E treatment so they do end up "on file", they won't actually contact the doctor...

seventyfive Fri 13-Jun-14 14:42:55

There is not even a way to contact my Dr's from Sat midday till monday morning. Also we are not allocated any particular Dr at the surgery.

Virgolia Fri 13-Jun-14 14:43:45

When I go to A&E I always get asked my GP's name. So presumably if a child is taken to A&E the teacher would need to supply the GP name.

Topseyt Fri 13-Jun-14 14:43:48

It does seem to be required information on more and more school trip forms recently, even though the schools already have all of the information on their own records.

I have given this on several forms recently, whereas I am sure only a year ago it wasn't always asked for.

I suppose it is just so that everyone has covered their arse in case anything untoward happens during said trip.

Helpys Fri 13-Jun-14 14:44:18

Just put the practice name and number.
You sound riled by it?

TheBogQueen Fri 13-Jun-14 14:45:26

We do have electronic records in Scotland for emergency care - this is a list of any regular meds or allergies. These are also passed to 999 if ambulance called.

Virgolia Fri 13-Jun-14 14:46:58

There is not even a way to contact my Dr's from Sat midday till monday morning. Also we are not allocated any particular Dr at the surgery

That's irrelevant though, like a few of us have said they just need the name when you triage in A&E

TheBogQueen Fri 13-Jun-14 14:46:59

Ooh or A&E will want to inform GP of any problems - so surgety details and these are usually listed via GP name do it doesn't matter which one you normally see

TheBogQueen Fri 13-Jun-14 14:48:02

I think it's pretty good - it means care is joined up, GP kept is informed.

seventyfive Fri 13-Jun-14 14:48:21

Helpys - I have several children so seem to be writing this info down all the time!! I always imagine a teacher / whoever on hold to the surgery for half an hour then being told they are busy for the next 3 weeks. I often think - I hope they would just go to A&E!

magicalriff Fri 13-Jun-14 14:49:01

We've had to supply NHS number in addition to GP contact details, for club outings.

Virgolia Fri 13-Jun-14 14:49:50

I always imagine a teacher / whoever on hold to the surgery for half an hour then being told they are busy for the next 3 weeks. I often think - I hope they would just go to A&E!

I would think it would depend on how serious the illness/injury is surely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now