ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

To consider keeping dd home from school?

(18 Posts)
WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Fri 13-Jun-14 13:00:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WooWooOwl Fri 13-Jun-14 13:03:38

Does your dd have an opinion on whether she minds going to the taster day for a school she won't be attending?

How is she feeling about her own new school?

EverythingIsAwesome Fri 13-Jun-14 13:04:19

I wouldn't want my children to get confused and do a taster at a different school, especially one with extra issues that can make transition more complicated!

The school probably only want her to go so they aren't left having to supervise and occupy just one pupil.
I bet if you broach the subject, and say you'll do something vaguely educational, or ask for a worksheet or something, they'll be pleased for DD to stay home, even if they can't officially say so wink
And she can't possibly miss anything as nobody else will be in school!

Sirzy Fri 13-Jun-14 13:05:35

I would keep her home. She isnt going to gain anything from the visit

ICanSeeTheSun Fri 13-Jun-14 13:08:23

I would send her, in the new school there will be a lot of people who see don't know.

Use this as an experience of meeting so many new faces.

If she does get overwhelmed by it then keep her off after the second day.

WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Fri 13-Jun-14 13:11:48

WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Fri 13-Jun-14 13:14:50

WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Fri 13-Jun-14 13:16:44

RainbowSpiral Fri 13-Jun-14 13:57:26

I'd keep her home. Just phone her in as absent and there is no need to give a reason.
Once after a v stressful and upsetting week with odd behaviours, we told them at the meeting on the Thu we would keep ds2 home on the Friday and he would just be back after half term. The school said, "we are obviously unable to advise, it is your decision". Then in the next few sentences they were very relieved not to make special provisions to try and help ds2 attend the activity he was going to hate on the Friday.

WooWooOwl Fri 13-Jun-14 14:51:52

If she very definitely doesn't want to go, I can't see the sense in making her. There's just no point, nothing to be achieved.

BlackeyedSusan Fri 13-Jun-14 14:57:12

I would go in with the line that it is going ot be counterporductive to her special needs and going to disrupt her settling into her new school. also write a letter stating that you do not give permission for dd to be visit this new school. (given you need permission slips for school trips.

CharmQuark Fri 13-Jun-14 15:10:23

I would keep her off school.

Anxiety about things like this does tend to give children tummy aches....

Runesigil Fri 13-Jun-14 16:22:32

Could school 1 have her for that day as well if she's having extra transitions?

If not, definitely keep her at home. In that same situation and being told they couldn't make provision for her to stay at her primary school 'alone' that day, I said she'd be at home then, and we had a lovely day out together.

ouryve Fri 13-Jun-14 16:25:40

You wouldn't be unreasonable at all. Her going there would be pointless and, given her difficulties, downright confusing.

Does she have a statement?

It will just be because they won't be able to supervise one child all day in school. You should definitely keep her off and do something educational-ish (maybe somewhere that is normally packed on a weekend?). I would be up front and tell the school though, they won't mind!

ProudAS Fri 13-Jun-14 17:40:17

Could she not spend the day with the year 5 class?

You are right not to make her go on the taster given what happened last year.

I'd phone in and say she's ill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now