"Stinky winky" & "fat tummy"

(31 Posts)
sparklyskyy Fri 13-Jun-14 07:14:13

Are things my MIL say repeatedly, i.e. on loop, to my DS. To put it into context when she's changing his nappy, he's nearly 1 1/2, she'll sing loudly over and over and over "who's got a stinky winky?!".

Also, she'll repeat in exactly the same way to him "who's got a fat tummy?! Let's see that fat tummy!" etc etc etc.

Sigh. It really winds me up, I don't say anything because I don't want to upset her plus as she's doing us a massive favour by watching our DS once a week when we're both working. But I keep thinking our DS will get a complex sad. I don't want him thinking he's got a fat tummy (he does just now) and thinking it's normally for family to laugh at him for it.

Am I being pfb and unreasonable??

CharmQuark Fri 13-Jun-14 19:53:35

It sounds as if she says these things in a tone of total love and affection and so your baby will pick up no negative connotations . Totally different from telling a child they are 'disgusting' in a serious tone .

She will move on to something different as be grows older. I wouldn't worry about it.

rinabean Fri 13-Jun-14 19:57:07

Fat is a compliment though

Animation Fri 13-Jun-14 20:35:09

I would say - 'will you stop saying that please, I don't like it'.

littlejohnnydory Fri 13-Jun-14 20:52:28

I wouldn't like it and would ask her very nicely not to.

Imsuchamess Fri 13-Jun-14 20:57:37

Wouldn't bother me.

FayeKorgasm Fri 13-Jun-14 21:22:38

I wouldn't like it.
From a very young age, 4 or 5, my mother started saying I had thunder thighs. It carried on for years. In fact, I was a tiny thing and was a gifted ballet dancer. It has had a massive effect on my self esteem and I have had food issues all my life. I still actively restrict my food intake and exercise more than I probably need to, but I still think i have fat legs. I'm in my 40's now.
sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now