To not want to get too involved with school life?

(434 Posts)
Pinkrosesarebest Tue 10-Jun-14 19:28:58

Just that really. My twin sons are in Reception. So we are only at the beginning of our school journey really. I will help out in the future I am sure but haven't so far. I always send in money when asked. However 2 mums talked very loudly near to me and quite pointedly today and said it's always the same ones helping out, signing up or organising PTA events. Surely it is a choice rather than an obligation?

UsedtobeFeckless Sat 14-Jun-14 20:15:28

If I'm honest the generalising peeves me, though ... It's fine to not fancy joining a particular PTA group because it's full of snidey loons but don't extend that and argue that all PTAs are equally nasty and self-serving, because we're not.

MrsShortfuse2 Sat 14-Jun-14 20:27:34

Well said Chocoluvva.

I do very little towards the PTA at my dc's middle-class school, because I am too busy using my skills being a governor at a deprived inner city school in special measures and trying to appoint a headteacher.

BeeBlanket Sat 14-Jun-14 21:01:23

Okaaaaay funlovin. You have just put yourself firmly in the category of "PTA type" I would run a mile to avoid and who would put me right off getting involved. Which is the whole point of this thread. And yet it seems like you really can't see it.

Pontificating that what you do is for the sake of the children and so rewarding, is actually quite aggressive. You are defending your activities by deliberately implying anyone who doesn't do them doesn't really care about their children. Nasty.

Getting sneery and accusatory about it being "bitchy" (x 4) to not like the PTA. I guess that covers having any doubts about at all, or not liking the pushy, sexist attitude that many of us experience from our PTAs. No no, unless we are assimilated drones, devoting our lives to the PTA, we are suspect and need to get a life (ironic!).

Are working parents speshul (sic) and different?!

I think the bitchiness is coming from you here. And that comment also carries a very nasty taste of derogation too.

Actually though yes, what is special and different about working parents, if you choose those terms, is that they have less free time. Sometimes a lot less free time than you could possibly imagine. And as allhailqueenmab has said so clearly, so do not know the ins and outs of everyone's life and it's not for you to decide if how they spend their precious time is acceptable.

JassyRadlett Sat 14-Jun-14 21:22:31

thanks to BeeBlanket, exactly what I wanted to say but clearer than I could have managed.

The lack of self-awareness and willingness to self-analyse by some on this thread is quite striking. You are having trouble recruiting v

FunLovinBunster Sat 14-Jun-14 21:22:57

Thank you so much for your critique, beeblanket.

JassyRadlett Sat 14-Jun-14 21:24:02

Oops, itchy trigger finger.

The lack of self-awareness and willingness to self-analyse by some on this thread is quite striking. You are having trouble recruiting volunteers? The problem must of course be the calibre of potential volunteers, and could in no way he how the PTA is perceived externally. Of course not, because from the inside it's lovely.

UsedtobeFeckless Sat 14-Jun-14 21:55:41

Gah.

Join / don't join. Please yourselves. I've never actually met anyone in real life who was particularly bothered one way or the other!

KERALA1 Sat 14-Jun-14 22:02:15

I think someone has written a book about this called "I don't know why she bothers" not read it but great title!

UsedtobeFeckless Sat 14-Jun-14 22:09:57

I think we may be eighteen pages into the sequel! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now