A money question

(103 Posts)
Bellaboosmum2014 Mon 09-Jun-14 13:09:52

If a grown up child ( own home/boyfriend/child) comes in a large amount of money say won over £25,000 on the lottery do you think they should give a little to their siblings? Even if it's just £200 or £50 or a present.
Especially if those people helped them when they needed help?

And what about parents if one is struggling and needs helps badly and is suffering from an illness that they can't work? Perhaps struggled for many years to raise that child as a single parent. Bearing in mind all the other parents involved have money and don't need it.
After investing £12,000 into an isa for a house in 5 years do you think its reasonable to blow the rest on a £12,00 car. Bearing in mind this is a family that usually shares everything including time and energy. Just need some feedback thanks

SuperFlyHigh Tue 10-Jun-14 09:40:29

I think the upshot of this is that families shouldn't expect anything in the way of handouts.

I've been lucky in that in the past both my brother and I have been helped out in various ways financially from my mum (father died ages ago, got stepfather).

A few of these times we've paid my mum back (and had the arrangement that it was a loan not a gift). Sometimes she treats it as a gift. But there's no way we would be expecting money even when she dies.

Swannery Tue 10-Jun-14 09:59:19

I think some of the posts on here are pretty mean. The "It's my duty to put my DCs first at all times" argument can be taken too far. It's used as an excuse to be totally selfish.

N

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now