to tell him to feck off? He is still out since Friday, I have been crying all day and at the end of my teather now

(103 Posts)
Paranoidandroid2 Sat 07-Jun-14 21:23:00

My partner has a history of going out with his mates, telling me he would be back by midnight and stumbling in drunk at 5 am or the day after. I woke up this morning and he was not there, he texted me to say he is at his mates and 'needs this'. Well, I certainly do not need this and texted him to tell him not to come back. He stayed at his mates all day and did not try to make amends. I was so exhausted crying and physically hurting, he betrayed my trust again. I called him around 6 pm to ask when he was coming back to get his things, as I wanted to be out then. I was also worried as he did not call or text for several hours by then. He told me what he did was not so bad and I was overreacting and he was not going to apologise again (he texted 'sorry' in the morning. He put the phone down but then texted that he is a twat but he never cheats and would never hurt me. I texted to say he had hurt me and would he want to be with someone who behaved like him, because I would not. He texted 'sorry' again. I texted that I wanted to put the house on the market next week and he said he would have to think about it.

I know this is all jumbled up but I am so upset, we have been together for over three years and it never has come to this, he would come back and apologise. He only goes out every month or so, sometimes more, but last time he came back and told me he was an alcoholic and would stop drinking. That was three weeks ago.

Before you ask, he has lots of redeeming features, he is lovely and helpful and does a lot for me, including helping with raising my 10yo DD. We are both working, in our early 30s. Is this how a 31 yo partner should be? I know he loves me and will apologise, but this has shaken me up and just wanted to ask if you think I should LTB.

HolidayArmadillo Sat 14-Jun-14 17:00:35

Oh god get rid. There is nothing more self obsessed than a coke user, I do have experience of this. He will never change, not whilst he can come back to you, act contrite and you will roll over and let him back. You're setting yourself up for years of heartache. There is an outside chance that being firm now may in the long term lead to him being the man you hoped he was but whilst he's still having his cake and eating it? No chance.

Rebecca2014 Sat 14-Jun-14 16:52:18

How do you know he isn't cheating? he goes out and doesn't bother coming home or answering your calls. He is showing what is important and it most certainly is not you, I hope you don't have any children by him!

"I am repulsed by his lack of respect to me. Is counselling even worth considering?"
You are right to be repulsed, and no, counselling isn't going to be worth a damn here. That only has a place when those being counselled WANT to change but don't know how to. He really doesn't want to change sad.

Now would be the time to take your focus off him and to place it on you and your daughter. Those saying that this is not modelling good relationships are absolutely correct. What do you want for her? This?

Oh, and your frenemy friend, who asked you if you thought you were controlling - she's a twat. Or maybe her relationship is so shit yours looks good in comparison. Either way, her opinion (that you "have a good man" ) is wrong, and her advice, that persuaded you to "let it go", should be ignored.

Neverknowingly Sat 14-Jun-14 12:13:50

Your DP sounds like a twat and your friend sounds like a twat.

Do you have any positive adult relationships in RL because it sounds like you really need some.

YouTheCat Sat 14-Jun-14 11:38:57

He really is not going to change. Not for you. Not for anyone.

Put his stuff in black bags and leave it in the garden.

clam Sat 14-Jun-14 11:00:42

Well, there's obviously something that's luring him out with his mates that's more appealing than his feelings for you.
Whether that's alcohol, cocaine, other women or what, it doesn't matter. What's clear is where you and your feelings feature in his priorities.

APiratesMummy Sat 14-Jun-14 10:46:55

Oh, and it turned out he was not spending these impromptu sleepovers at his mates' as he led me to believe....quelle surprise...

APiratesMummy Sat 14-Jun-14 10:44:00

This could have been me 7 years ago. My ex would go out, there would be promises of coming home at a certain time then he'd be gone for the rest of the weekend. I thought he'd change, it'd stop for a few weeks then he'd do it again.

He seriously did not give a shit about my feelings and I bizarrely tried to keep the relationship going (I say bizarrely now but at the time it seemed like the most reasonable thing in the world).

Dumping his ass was the best decision I ever made.

PhaedraIsMyName Sat 14-Jun-14 10:14:17

I agree with the posters who say this is a terrible example of a relationship to put before your daughter.

Famzilla Sat 14-Jun-14 09:57:46

I think you need to tell your friends the truth. You're not hiding it from them to protect him, you're hiding it from them because you plan on staying with him whatever he does and don't want a RL chorus of LTB's.

I'm sorry OP but this is not going to stop. I know 30, 40, even 50 year olds that go on coke binges every weekend. My uncle died from a heart attack at 42 from a coke binge, did the people he was doing it with never do it again? Did they fuck, 2 heart attacks in that group & counting.

You have 2 choices, accept this behaviour or leave.

Bogeyface Sat 14-Jun-14 09:57:22

And I wonder if he suggested it because he knew your reaction would be a No.

magoria Sat 14-Jun-14 09:56:38

The video is weird. All anyone else has to do is not be in that room for 30 seconds. It proves nothing. He must think he is amazingly clever to suggest it.

Bogeyface Sat 14-Jun-14 09:53:40

He hasnt tried at all has he?

He made excuses about why he had been so selfish in the past, promised not to do it last night and as soon as he left the house....bingo.

I am afraid that I suspect an OW too, why would he offer to video call to prove it was just them when you hadnt suggested it wasnt? He seems to be anticipating what you might say and trying to forestall you.

Get rid.

campingfilth Sat 14-Jun-14 09:51:40

Thank god I don't have friends like yours. Seriously get rid

Guiltypleasures001 Sat 14-Jun-14 09:45:38

He isn't shagging your mate by any chance is he. That's a very strange thing for her to ask you.

glasgowstevenagain Sat 14-Jun-14 09:45:17

You gave him a final chance to prove himself. He did not.

He does not respect you. He does not change.

You need to tell him to move out. He has no need to be in your life. No child etc.

RandomMess Sat 14-Jun-14 09:42:25

Well have answer, you aren't being controlling he is a cocklodger. Time to split.

magoria Sat 14-Jun-14 09:37:55

Why do you want a relationship with an alcoholic drug user?

The only person he is ever going to put first is himself and his desire to party, get drunk and high.

While you sit at home alone wondering if tonight is the night the dink or drugs will kill him.

Your 10 year old DD is seeing this is how relationships are. Woman sits at home alone, man fucks off partying and wasting ££ weekend. Your P may have a few redeeming features. What if her choice modelled on yours doesn't?

PhaedraIsMyName Sat 14-Jun-14 09:36:26

I don't think anyone here can answer that for you. You're clearly very unhappy.

He sounds extremely selfish and I say that from the perspective of usually being quite harsh on women who make a song and dance about their blokes having nights out. Yours is beyond pushing his luck.

Paranoidandroid2 Sat 14-Jun-14 09:29:04

Just to update you all. I spoke to my friend, who asked me if I thought I was controlling, she said I have a good man (suprise suprise) and we all have our faults. I have decided to let it go and had a long conversation with my partner. He told me he was scared to tell me he wants to be out till late in case I get mad. I told him I just want him home when he comes back, so I'd rather he took a cab if he is out late.
Yesterday he went out and told me he was not going to stay too late. I did not even ask for time! He told me he is taking a cab home. Guess what? He is still not home. He walked to his friends home, txtd me that he is staying there and can video call me if I don't believe they are on their own.
I am repulsed by his lack of respect to me. Is counselling even worth considering?

SuperLoveFuzz Tue 10-Jun-14 22:49:20

Hi OP, how are things today?

wellthatsdoneit Mon 09-Jun-14 09:14:55

Hope you are ok OP. I think you are doing the right thing by leaving him. This is a repeated pattern of behaviour. More than anything it would be the persistent lying that would mean the end of it for me.

Paranoidandroid2 Sun 08-Jun-14 18:44:05

Thanks for being here for me, I came to some conclusions thanks to you all. I cannot make him move out, but I am calling the shots from now on. I spent the whole day doing the clearout we planned and I have this great feeling that I am in control of the situation. In the afternoon he came back and wanted to talk, I said I need a couple of days to think things through and make some decisions. I am going to leave him hanging for a couple of days, just like he did to me. Meanwhile I am going to see some friends, take my mind of it all and get some perspective. I am most likely leaving him, just want a clear head for that discusdion. Luckily my daughter is with her dad until tomorrow, so I am going to see a friend now to talk this through.

" I know some friends will think IABU as their opinion of him is that he is 'such a lovely man'."
Well, there's something else that you need to attend to. You need to be truthful about your life with him; lying, alcoholism, jealousy/hypocrisy, coke, probable cheating. Sing 'nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors' if that's easier. But make it clear to your friends that their view of him is limited and that there is good reason behind this breakup. Otherwise you may feel pressured to restart your relationship, which frankly would be a mistake sad.

Hissy Sun 08-Jun-14 12:09:32

Atm he's playing you like a piano. Stop it!

Stop texting him, stop hanging on his every word and action. Be strong. You deserve better than this.

Go out. Do something today, something you will enjoy. Don't sit there waiting for him.

Sending him it's over, come get your stuff and i'm getting the estate agents in is just panicking and it's obvious to him that it doesn't mean a thing.

In circumstances like these, silence is the strongest negotiation tactic you have.

When he comes back, please end it, properly, and for good.

Look at what he's reduced you to and promise yourself that you'll never allow this again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now