Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

To think - yes, universities should take state school applicants with lower grades

(438 Posts)
Lemiserableoldgimmer Sat 07-Jun-14 14:41:29

.. than applicants from private and grammar schools, on the basis that this new research suggests that as a group, state school pupils appear to be more able than private school applicants with identical A level and GCSE grades. More likely to get a good degree, less likely to drop out.

here

What do you think?

larrygrylls Thu 12-Jun-14 15:09:07

The whole point if tertiary education is that it is (was?) for those at the top. This is the top of ability, though. It does not necessarily correspond to best results to date. Of course the process does have to be transparent and fair but universities have every right to select someone they believe to have true ability in a subject over someone who has had an amazing education and has managed good grades but with little demonstration of genuine intuition or interest. How they do that is up to them. I think interviews can work well, personally.

Hakluyt Thu 12-Jun-14 15:25:49

Is it? I thought that used to be the point of further education in particular, not tertiary education in general......

Hakluyt Thu 12-Jun-14 15:27:30

"Why should a system be designed for the benefit of those at the bottom (of interest levels, income, intelligence, ambition - take your pick) from themselves? Why can't it be designed in the interests of those in the middle? (Because those at the top will always be okay). "

It is at the moment. I am just advocating evening things up a bit.

Timetoask Thu 12-Jun-14 15:30:40

I think it's a great idea to help children from less advantaged schools access university. The problem I see with the proposal of accepting lower grades from a particular group of students is that at university you will have two types of students: those who are really struggling because they were accepted with gaps in their knowledge, those who are able to keep up because they schooling was good.

Shouldn't the emphasis be on helping those children who show potential, get those top marks needed?

The end result will be graduates with a low standard of education, UK university being dumbed down, degrees being devalued.

Hakluyt Thu 12-Jun-14 15:56:27

I don't think that anyone is suggesting letting people into university with Es- just Bs instead of As.

Hakluyt Thu 12-Jun-14 15:57:18

Or something like that.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Thu 12-Jun-14 16:45:29

The problem I see with the proposal of accepting lower grades from a particular group of students is that at university you will have two types of students: those who are really struggling because they were accepted with gaps in their knowledge, those who are able to keep up because they schooling was good

Then again, the whole impetus behind this proposal is that state school candidates seem to be better at working and not dropping out etc than those with equally good grades whose schooling was 'good' (ie private).

Retropear Thu 12-Jun-14 17:20:55

No it wasn't just private,they were talking about the best state schools too and seemed to infer they included any kids from shite state schools.

TrueGent Thu 12-Jun-14 17:28:47

Imply - they implied, you inferred. Apologies blush

Hakluyt Thu 12-Jun-14 17:36:56

If you felt the need to apologise, best not say it in the first place, no?

Retropear Thu 12-Jun-14 17:54:23

Sorry,should be concentrating on making tea.From the research said article inferred(concluded) it was any kids from shite state schools.

Do let me know if that too is wrong and post a correction.My brain is now jelly,this is what 10 years out of education does to you.

Thanks Hak.smile

Takver Thu 12-Jun-14 21:15:55

I think when people suggest dropping grade requirements, they're talking 3 x A, instead of 3 x A*, or BBB instead of AAB - not massive drops that mean the universities take students with big gaps in knowledge.

creamteas Fri 13-Jun-14 18:38:02

Aston has just said they are building a new Med School

And it looks like the students who pay full fees will be paying for scholarships for local applicants from deprived backgrounds. smile

No mention of lower entry grades, but I'm guessing that this will be part of the plan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now