to wish tax payers money was not paid to promote cows milk and dairy

(200 Posts)
brt100 Sat 07-Jun-14 10:37:40

Cards on table, I don't drink dairy as I'm health conscious, its for another animal with a very different body structure, diet and only for infants.

I get it that its delicious, well cheese is, but what I don't like is all these adverts on buses paid for partly by tax payers money to encourage people to drink milk. There are much better sources of calcium that the body can absob better so that argument is a con.

My sister gives her 7 yo a chease string every lunch time and thinks its healthy and vital.

Sparklingbrook Sat 07-Jun-14 12:15:31

Brie and Black grape sandwich-laaaavely.

RandallFloyd Sat 07-Jun-14 12:22:17

Weren't you extolling the virtues of sugar free squash and powerade yesterday?

Pretty sure I'm going to stick with milk if that's ok.

I'm health conscious too, but eat dairy. I get the whole 'other animal' argument and that some people don't tolerate it well (so should avoid). Of course there are other sources of calcium and vitamin b12, but these sources do tend to be much less appealing to kids and frankly, if an advert persuades parents otherwise inclined towards giving their DCs sugary drinks and juices, alongside a diet low in veg and nuts (as many are) then it has to be a good thing nutritionally?

X-post Randall - was she? shock

EatShitDerek Sat 07-Jun-14 12:24:13

OP you seem to have a lot of issue relating to food.

I dont get how any one can care.

Cheese strings are delicious as are plastic cheese slices.

Milk is just milk. I've seen adverts for worse things.

Have you seen the Shitsinger yogurt ad? Now that needs dealing with

Sparklingbrook Sat 07-Jun-14 12:25:48

And there's one with DVO now Derek. Makes a change from Gok Wan I suppose.

higgle Sat 07-Jun-14 12:27:36

I don't think dairy should be promoted as it is so cruel to cows. They have their calves removed soon after birth, many of the male calves are killed at birth and the mothers are subject to repeatedpregnancies and shorter life expectancy due to the demands of production. Vegans live longer and have better health.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sat 07-Jun-14 12:33:00

YANBU they should be putting our money towards promoting the benefits of powerade over water instead.

Sparklingbrook Sat 07-Jun-14 12:33:24

Op has disappeared so not overly interested in what anyone thinks after all.

oh she'll be back
she loves a good dairy free gluten free sugar free bunfight.

HoneyDragon Sat 07-Jun-14 13:06:19

Threads like this make me want to sprawl on a bed of galaxy ripples, and smother myself in petit filous whilst eating Mr Matthews Turkey Drummers. Dipped in a Pot Noodle.

gordyslovesheep Sat 07-Jun-14 13:16:24

I love Dairy - I love my bones and I wish to keep them healthy - I also love cheese grin

Mind you I also drink DIET Pepsi and eat sugar so i am going to food hell

BonjourMinou Sat 07-Jun-14 13:23:40

mmmmm, cheese...

Brie and redcurrent jelly on a crispy baguette
melted camembert rounds
ploughmans lunch

Also, chocolate milkshake, chocolate bars, cups of tea... I don't think I would cope very well without dairy! It's all for the benefit of my bones, of course.

BonjourMinou Sat 07-Jun-14 13:26:35

It's all about the health of my bones, honest.

www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/10770703/Why-its-time-to-welcome-back-veal.html

views of the British dairy industry are largely out of date. It does not make commercial sense to kill male calves at birth any more.

The calves have to be separated at some point, be it at two or three weeks old (yes thats right, they are not taken at birth!), or at 8 months old. They make the same noise for a day regardless, same with beef cattle. Then they pretty much forget about it.

www.jennifermackenzie.co.uk/2011/09/01_veal.html

AuntieStella Sat 07-Jun-14 13:29:26

Is there still taxpayers money in this?

Genuine question.

The govt-funded Milk Marketing Board was abolished well over a decade ago.

The successor organisation the Milk Marketing Forum is (I thought) entirely privately funded. Is that not the case?

Funny how people don't seem to have the same problem with puppies and kittens being removed at a few weeks old and sold on as cute pets.

gordyslovesheep Sat 07-Jun-14 13:34:33

yes ...bones ...

museumum Sat 07-Jun-14 13:38:08

Dairy cows have "shorter life expectancy" than what exactly? Their pre-agricultural revolution ancestors? Because there certainly isn't a contemporary wild equivalent species to our dairy herd breeds.

Joules68 Sat 07-Jun-14 13:44:12

Ha ha op has read an article and now become all evangelical about her new 'knowledge' ... Bless

Where is she??

Fideliney Sat 07-Jun-14 13:44:22

They'd better not spend my tax money promoting human-milk cheese hmm

gordyslovesheep Sat 07-Jun-14 13:45:52

"human milk cheese"

brt100 Sat 07-Jun-14 13:45:57

Yes they do have public funding.

Milk Marketing Forum of trade body Dairy UK, it is one-third financed by the European Commission.

Wish all the bores that say this is boring would not botherr posting to say so, you just look like fools.

With the meat and dairy industry being the biggest man made source of carbon emissions, this is a very very big issue anyway, clueless.

brt100 Sat 07-Jun-14 13:47:58

Re Powerade, as most people commented I was being ironic, but expressing a view that isn't uncommon.

gordyslovesheep Sat 07-Jun-14 13:48:15

I wish you'd work harder on making your posts make any sense what so ever grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now