to have brought a lovely evening gown because it was on sale but not to have a lovely evening event to go to (yet)

(53 Posts)
kim147 Fri 06-Jun-14 21:07:41

It's lovely and a very good deal.
But I really need a posh evening event to wear it at - and that's not going to happen.

How do I get to a posh evening do to wear it? I don't want it to hang in my wardrobe forever grin

LottieJenkins Sat 07-Jun-14 10:32:37

LoveVintage It is one of my favourite books ever!! smile

ICanSeeTheSun Sat 07-Jun-14 10:36:29

I would do a charity night, I will say most people wouldn't turn up for non event. Especially ball gowns and black tie because it expensive to get the clothes.

Timeandtune Sat 07-Jun-14 10:47:15

On a slight tangent I am sure I read there was to be a new film of Mrs Harris Goes to Paris, starring Imelda Staunton. I can't find any mention of this on the interweb so I may well have imagined it.

However I do remember listening to the Reunion on R4 with cast and crew of 4 Weddings. The film was so low budget the extras brought their own wedding outfits. Maybe you could seek film work? Have dress,will travel.

BrokenToeOuch Sat 07-Jun-14 10:52:06

squirrelled that's so sweet!

Op can I come to your posh party please, I love parties! I promise I'll try to behave smile

Plateofcrumbs Sat 07-Jun-14 11:04:35

I did similar - found an amazing black tie frock with a ludicrous discount on the sale rail in Selfridges. Despite the discount it was still at the top end of what I would ever spend on a dress (I think it was about £1500 reduced to £200). Tried it on for a laugh and it fitted perfectly. So I bought it. Sat unworn for a few years but since then I've had a few occasions to wear it (work awards do, a fancy Christmas party, black tie wedding reception) - so nice to have something you love to wear and it always gets complimented.

ThisBitchIsResting Sat 07-Jun-14 11:09:01

Host an MN black tie do! I want an excuse to buy a posh dress! I'd pay £20 for a charity do with Iceland canapés and fizzy wine.

I bought a Monsoon dress in the sale about 8 years ago. Reduced from £140 to £80. Further reduced from £80 to £60, and then £60 to £40. Final reduction to £35. I had £20 of vouchers to use so thought I'd get it.

It sat in the wardrobe untouched. Last year I decided 'what the hell' and wore it at a festival, with wellies, a tiara and a shawl. Many people complimented me on it. I'll be packing it this year too!

foslady Sat 07-Jun-14 11:40:56

I did this when I was on my trip-of-a-lifetime to America. One of those TX Maxx type places, a dress I'm sure I've seen similar on the red carpet, selling for $24.....it reminds me that I am a woman, that I am beautiful and I am worth it. The longest I've worn it is to sit alone at home and eat a Chinese takeaway (but it felt bloody good!)

kali110 Sat 07-Jun-14 12:08:50

Lets see this dress!!

deakymom Sat 07-Jun-14 12:15:36

get a free photo shoot done in the dress?

Fcukfifa Sat 07-Jun-14 12:34:31

Yep stick a pic on! We can all coo over it!
I've done similar, bought some louboutins that have Swarovski crystals all over the platform and heels, reduced from £995 to £380 so snapped them up.

This was 5 years ago and have worn them once at a nye party (only on carpet grin

I want to come to a posh party too please!

whynowblowwind Sat 07-Jun-14 12:42:58

I do this with clothes too, DH gets really cross with me blush

kim147 Sat 07-Jun-14 12:55:30

So many choices. I would love a posh party. Never been to one before but would love to get really dressed up.

A photo shoot won't cut it. It needs to be "aired".

Come Dine with me grin

QOD Sat 07-Jun-14 13:07:27

Show us!

ICanSeeTheSun Sat 07-Jun-14 13:08:44

How about the royal ascot

borninastorm Sat 07-Jun-14 13:10:49

For my 40th birthday I did a full length and fabulous party in the local hall cos I had a dress I wanted to wear.
Everybody came dolled up the nines, men in tuxes, women in full length ball gowns - it was fab.
Do it!

Lemuriformes Sat 07-Jun-14 13:12:13

This has reminded me I have a similar dress bought last year that I've never worn to anything. So I am wearing it now and feeling swishy!

EatShitDerek Sat 07-Jun-14 13:12:27

I wear mime when I feel.depressed. I clean up in them.

I wear my heels to do household chores.

Sometimes I put dress and heels on and just dance in my living room while drinking blush

LottieJenkins Sat 07-Jun-14 13:29:50

Hijacking again. TimeandTune Yes it is true! Twiggy is apparently playing Mrs 'Arris!!

AmeliaToppingLovesShopping Sat 07-Jun-14 13:44:01

I vote for a MN posh frock do!

I would go if I could get a babysitter and owned a posh frock

LoveBeingInTheSun Sat 07-Jun-14 13:46:55

I hope you are wearing the dress for this thread

GrannyOnTheSchoolRun Sat 07-Jun-14 13:48:22

Everyone should have clothes hanging in the wardrobe just because.

AwkwardSquad Sat 07-Jun-14 14:13:32

There's a Vivienne Westwood frock I really want but have no occasion to wear it to, and not likely to have. Maybe I'll propose to DP and wear it to get married in grin.

Seems a bit extreme, though... Kim, if I buy my frock can I come to your party?

RubberBulletKisses Sat 07-Jun-14 14:19:29

Just have a MN party specifically for everyone to wear posh frocks they've bought but never worn...everyone can swish around drinking gin and eating pombears. It'll be ace grin

superbagpuss Sat 07-Jun-14 14:43:20

I still have my wedding dress and would love to wear it again, would that be over the top for the mums net ball?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now