to have brought a lovely evening gown because it was on sale but not to have a lovely evening event to go to (yet)

(53 Posts)
kim147 Fri 06-Jun-14 21:07:41

It's lovely and a very good deal.
But I really need a posh evening event to wear it at - and that's not going to happen.

How do I get to a posh evening do to wear it? I don't want it to hang in my wardrobe forever grin

babybarrister Fri 06-Jun-14 21:12:30

Just wear it and enjoy - weddings? Out to dinner?

Waswondering Fri 06-Jun-14 21:14:11

Host a black tie dinner party. Posh evening gowns, and champagne coupes obligatory!

mrspremise Fri 06-Jun-14 21:14:52

Do the bloody hoovering in it if it makes you happy. ..! grin

kim147 Fri 06-Jun-14 21:15:04

Now that's an idea. I belong to an activity club and I need to host an event. Probably not in my pokey flat though grin

Backtobedlam Fri 06-Jun-14 21:16:30

Definitely worth it-if you wait until you have a function to go to there won't be anything you like and you'll end up panic buying something too expensive and looking horrendous...or is it just me that does that?!

MikeLitoris Fri 06-Jun-14 21:17:39

Link?

Just wear it round the house.

Waswondering Fri 06-Jun-14 21:18:37

Def in your fly. Crisp sheet as tablecloth. Christmas tree lights and candles. Perfect!

I have a pair of bargainous Jimmy Choos (they were listed incorrectly on eBay so no one noticed them wink). I will never go anywhere that I can wear them. I do vacuuming in them. Usually in my pjs grin If anyone saw me, they would think I was utterly bonkers!

But yes. Host a black tie do. Or go to one (look for ones at local rugby clubs - they usually have a summer and winter ball smile)

Waswondering Fri 06-Jun-14 21:19:07

Flat, not fly!

kim147 Fri 06-Jun-14 21:19:47

Well - just googled a hall to hire out.

£1000 for the evening.

But at 50 people that's only £20 per head. Plus food. Disco.

I think I might have to organise my own function. Everyone like's a posh do.

kim147 Fri 06-Jun-14 21:20:16

likes. Not like's.

storynanny2 Fri 06-Jun-14 21:23:46

Or alter it. I bought a beautiful full length black velvet dress a few years ago which was reduced from £200 to £30 because I loved it so much and it was a perfect fit. I would never have an occasion to wear it so I made it a knee length LBD and have worn it many times. I love it, it is my favorite dress ever.

PhaedraIsMyName Fri 06-Jun-14 21:30:16

Throw a black tie party in your own home for birthday/anniversary/Hogmanay.

Start a thread about it here on whether you are being unreasonable to have a dress code.

Sit back and wait to be told you are a pretentious arriviste/Hyacinth Bucket/how dare you tell guests what to wear, hope your guests all turn up in jeans.

I'll support you. Heck you can invite me. I love dressing up.

kim147 Fri 06-Jun-14 21:30:40

Going to organise a black tie (or should that be reclassified as an evening gown) event.

Venue
Food
Disco

Just like a wedding. Well part of a wedding. And I don't think I'm ever going to organise one of those sad

storynanny2 Fri 06-Jun-14 21:34:31

And me, I will come in my altered LBD and say I deliberately ignored the dress code.

Marylou62 Sat 07-Jun-14 09:48:12

I would also find a beautiful hanger and instead of hiding it in the walldrobe I would have it on display!! I have done this with a beautiful silk nighty that is now hanging on my newly decorated bedroom wall. (its too fragile to wear every night!)

LizzieVereker Sat 07-Jun-14 09:52:57

I have bought beautiful ballroom dancing shoes which I will never wear, but they are so lovely. (I would wear them to your function though, were I to be invited) grin

LottieJenkins Sat 07-Jun-14 09:57:20

OP your thread reminded me of this book smile

ManchesterAunt Sat 07-Jun-14 09:59:39

YABU - you need to post a pic first so we can see this lovely dress!! And then Yanbu grin

Apply to go on Come Dine with Me? And swish around your flat in it on TV looking fabulous.

LoveVintage Sat 07-Jun-14 10:03:42

Yes we need to see the dress before we decide whether to judge you! Lottie I rather fancy reading that book.

SquirrelledAway Sat 07-Jun-14 10:13:11

I bought a beautiful ball gown to take to Uni with me. Sadly, my post grad college didn't do balls, and it was almost impossible to get tickets to any of the other college balls.

So, 24 years on, it's still hanging in the wardrobe, unworn. I haven't been able to get into for years until this week when I tried it on and it fits again.

DH has promised to take me to a ball. Better late than never.

KurriKurri Sat 07-Jun-14 10:28:14

Have a look round at local charities websites - a lot round here seem to do black tie dinner/dance events as a fundraiser- you could give your dress an outing and contribute to a good cause - win/win! grin

Mrsjayy Sat 07-Jun-14 10:31:16

Swish about the house in it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now