AIBU to be annoyed at 'Britain First' Facebook statuses.

(76 Posts)
Latara Thu 05-Jun-14 22:38:00

Actually I know IANBU... a lot of my Facebook friends seem to have 'liked' the 'Britain First' Facebook Page.
They keep sharing 'Britain First' statuses on the news feed.

'Britain First' pretend to be an ordinary patriotic organisation but they are in fact a far right fascist group run by an ex-BNP fundraiser.
Paul Golding of 'Britain First' has actually gone into Mosques during
prayer times to give out bibles which is obviously very disrespectful.

They are using the imagery of D-Day to promote their page at present which to me is wrong - how can a fascist organisation celebrate the WW2 heroes who fought against, er, fascism??!

Sadly a lot of my FB friends have either fallen for it or actually don't care that 'Britain First' are Fascists.
Only a couple of people have seen through it and are putting statuses up against Britain First.

I have put a status up saying that 'BF' are a racist fascist organisation and that it's everyone's individual choice to like the page but they should be aware of what they are liking.
It is giving me the rage to be honest - AIBU to be annoyed, angry, fed up with this?

Latara Thu 05-Jun-14 22:38:57

By the way - scarily BF have over 400,000 likes on their page. It's worrying.

YouTheCat Thu 05-Jun-14 22:40:41

I have one acquaintance on FB who has liked Britain First's page.

Why not have a nice, cleansing cull?

shouldnthavesaid Thu 05-Jun-14 22:41:32

YANBU. I find it frightening that hundreds of thousands have seen fit to 'like' their page. What they speak is generally bullshit but they have a chance of taking that to government if enough people vote for them. That's why it's utterly essential to vote to ensure that they cannot gain any significant power, and why I'm kicking myself that I didn't vote this time around (due to illness but nevertheless..)

Prettykitty111 Thu 05-Jun-14 22:41:32

No NBU at all. A friend of mine liked one of their status' about the Lee Rigby/Stephen Lawrence memorials. I had to point out to her first that Stephen Lawrence was british and secondly that the status made her look like a disgusting bigoted racist. She soon removed it. I don't think people engage their brains sometimes before liking things.

BonjourMinou Thu 05-Jun-14 22:44:50

YANBU!! Britain First are a bunch of racists and I posted a rant about this very issue recently. Honestly I don't think people check their sources when they post/share these moronic things.

Feenie Thu 05-Jun-14 22:44:52

Same has happened to me - am going for education rather than deletion at the moment, but it's not working so far. One of them works in my school, ffs.

They are very manipulative, and a lot of thick people are falling for it. It's very worrying and also depressing.

www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/britain-first-has-quietly-become-the-most-popular-uk-politic?s=mobile

Latara Thu 05-Jun-14 22:45:58

I would have a cull of my FB friends definitely but it's like watching a car crash seeing how many of them actually support this shite... I want to know who out of my friends really is that prejudiced.

The same people seem to like EDL and UKIP (sorry to bring up UKIP but it's true).

CaulkheadUpNorth Thu 05-Jun-14 22:46:38

Family are liking it for me. Don't want to unfriend them but also just makes me angry. Yadnbu

Latara Thu 05-Jun-14 22:47:15

I think a lot of people do actually agree with BF and groups like them. It's really very depressing, it's making me feel physically sick.

Feenie Thu 05-Jun-14 22:48:10

They used Lee Right's murder on the European ballot paper - the Electoral Commission was forced to apologise.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/07/lee-rigby-slogan-change-rules-political-party-descriptions

Feenie Thu 05-Jun-14 22:48:56

Lee Rigby - kindle was annoyingly disrespectful there, sorry.

ballsballsballs Thu 05-Jun-14 22:51:29

YANBU. My DB, his fiance and DF all like it.

Feenie Thu 05-Jun-14 22:51:31

Lyn Rigby's statement on the despicable use of her son's name - as if the poor woman hasn't suffered enough. sad

www.hopenothate.org.uk/blog/insider/the-even-greater-sham-e-of-paul-golding-3617

AgaPanthers Thu 05-Jun-14 22:52:18

A couple of my Muslim friends on FB 'like' them and have shared their shit. I think people just don't really pay enough attention.

WidowWadman Thu 05-Jun-14 22:52:54

Someone who actually congratulated me on acquiring citizenship yesterday today shared a 'Britain First' status on her wall today. I find that awkward.

whatchutalkinboutwillis Thu 05-Jun-14 22:54:45

It's awful isn't it? There's quite a funny parody page called 'Britain Furst' that I've liked, I avoid the real one like the plague. Some of my Facebook 'friends' do nothing other than share racist and disrespectful posts - it makes my blood boil.

TroyMcClure Thu 05-Jun-14 22:56:18

Facebook is just CRAP. QED

Feenie Thu 05-Jun-14 22:58:03

Have seen that one, it's good.

Exposing Britain First is another good one, debunks all their daft photos.

AgaPanthers Thu 05-Jun-14 22:58:56

It's just viral content, and it's all stupid, regardless of politics. Pre facebook, people used to forward stupid chain emails, before that it was chain letters.

All fucking bollocks caused by people not engaging their brains, but not necessarily a sign that they are racist, just gullible really.

Latara Thu 05-Jun-14 22:59:00

Yes Troy but all my colleagues are on there, all my relatives, old school friends... if i wasn't on FB they would still be on FB and they would still be believing all this fascist shite except i wouldn't know about it... ouch my brain hurts!

EduCated Thu 05-Jun-14 22:59:08

Its absolutely vile. A 'friend' was pulled up on sharing one of their posts the other day, with the commenter pointing out that the BNP connections. But apparently it's fine, because they only shared the post, they haven't joined hmm angry

People are gullible and don't pay attention, and as much as it pains me to say it, they're very clever at what they do.

pickletray Thu 05-Jun-14 23:00:52

Same thing here. It riles me. Loads of people I know are "liking" these posts. It shocks me how stupid/ gullible some people I like and respect can actually be.

Britain First also put posts on that are unrelated to their political views, stuff like "Don't leave dogs in hot cars" and friends of mine have "liked" those without thinking- they may not be offensive but still, they aren't considering what they are supporting when they click "like".

Saying that, I have supposedly intelligent friends who share fucking stupid posts saying things like "put this on your status if you are against cancer" or "share if you are against child abuse".

I think a lot of my FB friends are ignorant and a bit thick but not bad people and would actually hate to be associated with such a vile group. Those are the friends who are staying, others are probably bigotted twats and need defriending. I'm not usually friends with people I don't like on FB but this stuff has made me change my mind about some of them.

Feenie Thu 05-Jun-14 23:05:36

Jim Dowson, their leader, is too far right for even the BNP to stomach - he was kicked out for groping a female activist.

BetweenDogandWolf Thu 05-Jun-14 23:13:13

YANBU. I'm another one going for education rather than deleting people for liking their stuff...at the moment. They make me very angry. It is utterly depressing how many have liked their page and how many accept such obvious rubbish as illegal immigrants getting more benefits than pensioners as the truth.sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now